• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about an early half-dollar thread?? POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

1,427 posts in this topic

He's cheating though-- his is machine-struck! Danged modern crud!

OK, OK, I'll stop cheating. This is a little older.

Check out the T. Wondering if it's anything special. smile.gifThe dark spot is a bit of a turnoff but I'm ok with it.

image0211mw7.jpg

image0215rt7.jpg

The repunched T is part of the diagnostic of the die marriage and is quite cool, though no additional value is obtained. The coin looks to be an O.115. smile.gif

Here's one I recently acquired and posted under new acquistions. The reverse field around the eagle has a brilliant blue headlight toning that jumps out as the coin is rotated under a single incandescent light bulb. I have not seen this bright of blue on a CBH before. I would think it was AT except for the headlight factor. Can headlight toning be AT? Is it market acceptable? BTW, this coin is raw.

1440572-New1826CBHVF30.jpg

Here's one I recently acquired and posted under new acquistions. The reverse field around the eagle has a brilliant blue headlight toning that jumps out as the coin is rotated under a single incandescent light bulb. I have not seen this bright of blue on a CBH before. I would think it was AT except for the headlight factor. Can headlight toning be AT? Is it market acceptable? BTW, this coin is raw.

Tim, although I've been told the headlight toning you describe can be simulated, I really think your 1826 is perfectly fine. In fact, I like it! The only thing I see that could be debatable is whether there might be a bit of PVC discoloration at the edges. You might want to consider an acetone treatment for this coin BUT be careful. You wouldn't want to inadvertently impact the original surface quality. Perhaps someone with more experience with acetone will chime in.

James could you be a little more specific where you see the possible PVC residue on the 1826? In hand it looks okay to me.

I'm more concerned about this 1838 that has black residue on the top reverse rim and heavy patination over the "F" of Half Dollar. Thoughts anyone?

1440569-1838CBHRE.jpg.jpg

I've seen pleny of PVC residue on 20th century coins stored improperly, does it look significantly different on these 19th century coins with more patination?

Tim, I brought your image in, auto-adjusted it (which didn't do much) and put in arrows to point to a couple areas of concern. It could very easily be just toning I'm seeing though.

If you are still coming to the show, bring both of these coins so I can check them out for you. I suspect you're showing us scans on both the coins, which is probably not giving me a reliable indication of whether it's merely toning, or possible PVC residue.

I'll bel glad to look at these, and show you the other items which you wanted to see in person.

junk9093.jpg

IDHair is right. It is very quiet around here today. How about another CBH. This one was in an ANACS '45 holder. I sent it to NGC for a re-grade, because this one has the same luster and wear as a '55, but a very weak strike (have not gotten it back yet). This one looks as good as this pic suggests, and even better out of it's plastic coffin. It is a scarce O-103.

1825O103O.jpg

1825O103R.jpg