• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Profile Violation
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I apologize for adding a picture to my profile. I did not intend to offend anyone in any way. Honestly, joining this forum made me feel like I was finally a part of something. I thought it was appropriate since I no longer felt like a stranger. I will remove it from my profile ASAP. Please don't shut me out. 

I'm not familiar with any rule that would prohibit you from using an image of what I assume is your own face as your "avatar", as opposed to impersonating someone else or using an image that would be regarded as inappropriate. I perused the chat board "Terms of Use and Rules" in this regard. However, it is probably better for security reasons not to use your own likeness for this purpose.

Why do you think that this was a violation?

I have read your previous posts and did not find your avatar offensive. There are numerous.   
members who use their face as their avatar. Was it a fellow member or the administrators    
that told you it was a violation.  
In any case, I’m sure no one is going to shut you out. Please continue asking questions as
you do seem like you want to learn the hobby.

Edited by Greenstang

I also found no issue with your face as your avatar, but as I am very security conscious when using the internet for anything and especially with the advent of AI, I am one who would not put my face on the internet personally. Even when Facebook came out and I had one of those (I shut mine down after a few years and my data has been deleted), I did not use my face as my main picture. It's sad but there is too much these days of identity theft and I choose to at least not make it easy for the crooks.

I am not sure what the violation was or if it was moderation imposed, but I surely did not complain. 

I have no desire to block anyone out and I hate when it comes to that with users who abuse the platform.

On 10/13/2024 at 8:27 PM, powermad5000 said:

I also found no issue with your face as your avatar, but as I am very security conscious when using the internet for anything and especially with the advent of AI, I am one who would not put my face on the internet personally. Even when Facebook came out and I had one of those (I shut mine down after a few years and my data has been deleted), I did not use my face as my main picture. It's sad but there is too much these days of identity theft and I choose to at least not make it easy for the crooks.

I am not sure what the violation was or if it was moderation imposed, but I surely did not complain. 

I have no desire to block anyone out and I hate when it comes to that with users who abuse the platform.

I received an email about a profile violation. The weird part is the email that I recieved was in my spam folder. Communications from NGC are always sent to my priority mail folder. Thank you for following up. 

I think the fact that it was in your spam folder tells you that there was no violation concerning your picture.   
whoever sent it is not even worth acknowledging. Continue on as you were and participate in the forum and don’t forget, you are part of something, you are part of this forum.

Edited by Greenstang

Kurt, Karen, and many others have used photos as their avatar with no issues. There was even once an active thread in which members who chose to post pictures of themselves could do that. (There was one member who looked like he could have been my younger brother. That was weird.) You are free to use your picture or any other that is within the bounds of common sense and decency.

If you still have the email, can you do a copy/paste here? I am curious to see what this says exactly.

Using your photo as an icon image seems fine to me.  :)

NGC does not support use of avatars, which are usually active elements created to represent an individual, and which can support or direct multiple functions. 

The only two photos I truly miss were both of @VKurtB .

In the earlier one, he stated:  This is ME!

In the latter, if memory serves, he supplemented one of his On-Site Coin Show reports with a photo featuring him and his "helmet."

Both were taken down without comment.

I included a [driver license] photo and my email address on my Set Registry, but it is not clear whether it is accessible to others.

The most egregious clear-cut VIOLATION occurred recently with the introduction of suggestive texts and explicit photos which left little to the imagination.  They were promptly reported and Moderation to its credit promptly consigned the whole kit and kaboodle to the dustbin of history.  So explicit were the photos, that in the space provided for the reason for the Report, I simply stated: "self-explanatory."  I have not the foggiest notion as to what that member had hoped to accomplish.

My many detractors claim, without substantiation, that I crave attention.

While I would be a fool to confirm or deny that, I took the liberty a few moments ago to see for myself whether there is any truth to the assertions.

On the NGC Home Page, if you tap on the ikon in the upper right corner marked: MY NGC, my e-mail address shall magically appear.

Likewise, on MY REGISTRY PROFILE, a tap will produce a photo which appears on my [current] driver license.

Whether this courtesy is extended to non-Set Registrants or non-members is unknown to me.

In the old days, @Alex in PA. used to express his disapproval of my very presence on the Board by posting unspeakable tawdry emojis.  Nowadays, people send me a torrent of x-rated material.  Way I see it, if no one cared, I would get bupkis.  It's all good. :roflmao:

I ain’t taking my mug off my posts, no matter how often I am begged to. Live with it! I have been sans beard for quite a while though. And I haven’t worn that suit lately.

Now,… “security”? Well, both Alabama and my next out of state destination, South Carolina, are “constitutional carry” states. That means I may concealed carry WITHOUT ANY REGISTRATION OR PERMIT. I own several handguns and one will be with me, ON ME, the weekend after next.  “Do you feel lucky, punk?”

But Britain? Errr, not s’much. They’re CULTURAL weenies over there. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/13/2024 at 5:28 PM, Sandon said:

I'm not familiar with any rule that would prohibit you from using an image of what I assume is your own face as your "avatar", as opposed to impersonating someone else or using an image that would be regarded as inappropriate. I perused the chat board "Terms of Use and Rules" in this regard. However, it is probably better for security reasons not to use your own likeness for this purpose.

Why do you think that this was a violation?

I received an email about a profile violation shortly after adding a picture to my profile. I used a real photo of myself (selfy) that I took with a simple android phone. I did not make any alterations use a photo editing or AI app.  

On 10/15/2024 at 11:10 AM, VKurtB said:

I ain’t taking my mug off my posts, no matter how often I am begged to. Live with it! I have been sans beard for quite a while though. And I haven’t worn that suit lately.

Now,… “security”? Well, both Alabama and my next out of state destination, South Carolina, are “constitutional carry” states. That means I may concealed carry WITHOUT ANY REGISTRATION OR PERMIT. I own several handguns and one will be with me, ON ME, the weekend after next.  “Do you feel lucky, punk?”

But Britain? Errr, not s’much. They’re CULTURAL weenies over there. 

Security 101

I Love it. 🤣😂

On 10/14/2024 at 8:46 AM, Just Bob said:

.... You are free to use your picture or any other that is within the bounds of common sense and decency....

🐓  :  I believe this is @Just Bob 's quaint way of saying he would like to see what you look like.

Q.A.:  No problem, go down to the local Post Office and snatch one off the wall when no one's looking.  :roflmao:

On 10/15/2024 at 4:10 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓  :  I believe this is @Just Bob 's quaint way of saying he would like to see what you look like.

Q.A.:  No problem, go down to the local Post Office and snatch one off the wall when no one's looking.  :roflmao:

🤭