• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the coin you want or need most and why?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

What is the coin you want or need the most -- and why?

For the past five years I have kept my eye out for a specific coin, a 1900 French 20-francs gold rooster graded MS-67.

Over a half million were "key-stroked" but the coin I seek is not available. Yet.  The only thing I can do is authorize a dragnet of networks and immerse myself in the web. There are others, of course, but the 1900 is a key date: I want it.  I MUST HAVE IT!  I cannot rest until I get one in my hand.  Not if, but when I acquire one, I won't rest. Why? Because a true collector's job is never done.  

How about you?  What coin have you had your eye on and "why" do you want or "need" it?

🐓  :  Say Q, you know what that means, don't you?

Q.A.:  I most certainly do.  This is this gentleman's quaint way of indicating he's secretly looking for the same 1900 French 20-francs gold rooster I am.  If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.   (shrug)

On 9/8/2024 at 5:21 PM, VKurtB said:

My top search right now is a really nice lightly circulated 1857 Large Cent.

My guess... you won't find it,; it will find you, in Germany.  🤣

On 9/8/2024 at 6:11 PM, Henri Charriere said:

My guess... you won't find it,; it will find you, in Germany.  🤣

Perhaps. The auction I’m going to in York, PA on Saturday is LOADED with nicer earlier Large Cents, including a few that might go in the very high three figures, but alas, no 1857. I’m also missing one of the later date “upright date” varieties. I am targeting a couple of 1820’s and early 1830’s pieces in York.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/8/2024 at 4:21 PM, VKurtB said:

My top search right now is a really nice lightly circulated 1857 Large Cent.

Just curious, why a lightly circulated one? For an extra $200 or so, you can get one in low end MS versus a mid to high AU.

On 9/9/2024 at 2:24 AM, powermad5000 said:

Just curious, why a lightly circulated one? For an extra $200 or so, you can get one in low end MS versus a mid to high AU.

(Out of all the posts I have read since becoming a member, this one kept me up all nite long.  There is an angle here, only problem is I don't see it. Lightly circulated... Large cent... but why! WHY?...)

for me i am looking for the 1860 Indian cent  in MS 65.  I have seen a many of them just not the one i want :)  this will complete my Type 1 & 2 in MS 65.  oh i should say rounded bust i already have the pointed.  then i can move forward with the last 10 to complete the Indian cent collection ( of course this will probably never happen due to  a little thing called 1877 :( )  but we will try.

I am looking for a LD 1982 D Zinc to finish off a folder. Can you believe with over 6,012,979,368 minted I cannot find a nice one. What the heck can't find any have they already dissolved. :roflmao:

Edited by J P M

On 9/9/2024 at 1:24 AM, powermad5000 said:

I find that AU coins look even nicer than low MS.

On 9/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, VKurtB said:

Good, now I can sleep again.

🐓  :  Know what I think?  It's got something to do with that super-secret set he alluded to a ways back.  Large cents, huh?  He'll get that '57 and with one swipe of that massive blue whale tail he'll become #1, top of the heap of that series. Just wait and see!

On 9/9/2024 at 1:15 PM, powermad5000 said:

Interesting! Where would one obtain these cotton pouches?

Wizard Coin Supply may have them. It’s a frequently stocked item that also tends to sell out.

On 9/9/2024 at 1:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Wizard Coin Supply may have them. It’s a frequently stocked item that also tends to sell out.

Thank you kindly! I could use some of these to help organize one of my home safes.

On 9/9/2024 at 1:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

Thank you kindly! I could use some of these to help organize one of my home safes.

They are most commonly used with copper coins. They really prevent verdigris formation.

On 9/9/2024 at 2:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

Two pieces of advice.  Turn your cotton pouch sideways in the small manilla envelope (try to keep them all oriented in the same way - i.e. open to the right).  This will stop your coin from accidentally sliding-out and hitting the floor.  Also, be sure to check on them at least annually to see if they need to be conditioned and brushed.  This will keep them safe, and allow you to spot issues early.   

On 9/9/2024 at 4:57 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Two pieces of advice.  Turn your cotton pouch sideways in the small manilla envelope (try to keep them all oriented in the same way - i.e. open to the right).  This will stop your coin from accidentally sliding-out and hitting the floor.  Also, be sure to check on them at least annually to see if they need to be conditioned and brushed.  This will keep them safe, and allow you to spot issues early.   

Agreed.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:50 PM, SiscoE said:

In my opinion wanna be exspert 

E X S P E R T.  Sheesh!

On 9/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, VKurtB said:

Attn:  @Mr_Spud

Hi there!  :hi:

One member recently asked another why he preferred an AU coin over one graded as a low MS and he gave the above answer.

I notice that you, too, are partial to coins that grade AU-58 and was wondering if how the coin "looks" is the primary draw for you as well.  Thanks!