• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial quarter with an error on reverse
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I need to know what this is and is it worth anything  my email is

Johnblaskowski44@gmail.com

Phone number 785-914-3832

20240822_175535.jpg

Edited by John79

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

First of all, it isn't a good idea to provide your personal contact information on a public forum like this. Also, please post clear, cropped images of each full side of a coin about which you have questions.

Based on the one closeup that you have provided, your coin appears to have a die chip, a very common occurrence that is regarded as a quality control issue, not a mint error, and has little or no market value to knowledgeable collectors. 

Contrary to what you may have read on the internet, it is extremely unusual to find a significant mint error or other valuable coin in your pocket change or in random accumulations of coins. Please read the following recent article by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Edited by Sandon
"random" changed to "recent"

Ok I will take my s over d susan b anthony and a couple more coins I have found in pocket change to get graded thank you 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I agree with the others that your Bicentennial quarter has a die chip that is a common occurrence to this day in the making of coins. Many coins have exited the Mint with minor die chips which are seen as a quality control issue and some collectors will actually avoid such specimens because they seek to put together a collection of "undisturbed" coins.

Being I am putting together a high end set of Susan B Anthony Dollars including all varieties, and I am only 4 away from completion, I believe you have been misled by where you got your coin information from. There is no such variety as an S over D Anthony Dollar. There is a filled S and a clear S which comes into play with the Type 1 and Type 2 proofs but there is no circulation or proof issue with an over mintmark. I have checked Variety Vista and Wexlers for an RPM and neither site has any listings for one. The chances of finding anything of particular value in common pocket change is absymally low and I think you are going to be very disappointed with the results and loss of funds if you sent some of this pocket change to be third party graded.

Where did you get your coin information from?

Edited by powermad5000

Before submitting these coins to a third-party grading service, it is important to know the policies of that service. For example, "NGC does not recognize as mint error coins those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance. The determination of what constitutes a mint error is at the discretion of NGC." Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) (Emphasis added.) It is unlikely that NGC (or other top tier grading services) would attribute a Bicentennial quarter with a small die chip between two of the stars surrounding the torch on its reverse as a mint error, and is it really worth $38 in grading ($19 Modern tier) and error attribution ($18) fees, plus its share of the $10 order processing fee, $28 minimum return shipping fee, and your own shipping costs, likely increasing the total cost to $50 or so, to find out?

An "S over D" Susan B. Anthony dollar, if such a coin exists, would be classified as a die variety, not a mint error. Every one of the likely several hundred thousand coins struck by the affected obverse die would have been of this variety, and it is likely that such a significant variety would have been discovered by now.  No such variety is listed on NGC VarietyPlus, which lists all of the varieties that NGC is willing to attribute, nor any other guide to die varieties with which I am familiar. If the coin is a 1979-S, the mintmark, which is from a worn punch, looks like a blob and could be misconstrued as such a variety. You might want to get some other opinions on it before submitting this coin to a grading service.

You can "learn the hard way" if you want to, or you can take a lesson from someone who already did:

On 8/23/2024 at 10:52 AM, John79 said:

Ok I will take my s over d susan b anthony and a couple more coins I have found in pocket change to get graded thank you 

STOP IT! If you found it in pocket change, it’s not valuable. Get that fixed in your noggin. 

On 8/24/2024 at 3:27 PM, VKurtB said:

STOP IT! If you found it in pocket change, it’s not valuable. Get that fixed in your noggin. 

Ha! Ha! Ha!  

To @J P M :  Reassembling my Fr20FrGR collection after it was vandalized two months ago and attempting to complete it (the first and final ADD in 4 years) was why I was "cranky."  After I read anything  @VKurtB  writes now, I am elated.  🤣

The late @Oldhoopster and I had divergent views on grading and submission. Regrettably, his view encouraged futile submissions as a peculiar sport, topped with humor.  My view is best expressed by members with a more heightened sense of responsibility, like @Woods020 which bears repeating:  "read more, submit less, and question everything." I sense @Sandon feels the same way.  Submission should be the court of last resort. And we should remind Newbies that formal paid memberships must also be routinely included in the costs of submission. It may have been a cruel joke once, but now it's an expensive and, at times, a prohibitively costly proposition.  I do not revel in other peoples' adversities.