• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tinted 1882
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Welcome, It would be best to show each coin in its own thread. with photos of both sides. It is hard to get a good evaluation if the holders are all scratched up. But we can try.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

These Morgan dollars are all heavily and, I think, unattractively toned--we used to say "tarnished"--likely artificially. and perhaps to disguise an improper "cleaning".  I can't evaluate them further without clear, cropped images of each side, at least similar to the larger photo of the obverse of the coin dated 1882. We can't even determine at which mints the coins were struck without seeing the reverses, which could make a significant difference in their values. 

The inadequacy of the images has nothing to do with this site, on which you will see many higher quality images.

Posted (edited)

If you show each coin both obv and rev like the 1882 we can be far more helpful.   I really can't opine on the other two from this photo.   The 1882 toning appears to be natural as I can see the pull away effect around the stars and date.  This heavy tone looks to have bonded to the surface and likely cannot be removed without damaging the surface of the coin.   While I cannot say for sure, it looks like these three coins might have been stored in a leather pouch.

The 1882 coin looks to be lightly circulated and the tone is essentially at a terminal state.  As such, and knowing that none of the 1882 minted coins are significantly rare, the value of this coin is going to be $25 - $30 in today's market. 

Edited to add: @Jonson 2025 while the site does limit the size of photos it is still possible to include photos that are far better than those you supplied, here is the obv of one of my 1882 coins at 224KB.

1882sdobv.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

On 5/9/2024 at 11:24 AM, Coinbuf said:

none of the 1882 minted coins are significantly rare

True, but an 1882-CC could still be worth $150 or so. 

On 5/9/2024 at 8:47 AM, Sandon said:

True, but an 1882-CC could still be worth $150 or so. 

True, I am making the assumption of a common date as all three appear to be common.   And that highlights why we need both obv and rev photos. 

On 5/9/2024 at 6:24 AM, Jonson 2025 said:

This sight is horrible it's low grade and doesn't allow high quality pics sorry that's best I can do 

It i all about spending a little time and effort, better accomplished from a computer, not a phone.

Here is an example of a decently high quality image at only 1.3mb: (Courtesy of PCGS)

image.png.b2f251fc668b7568dcf7f4961854684b.png

Reverse: (1.2mb)

image.png.c8eba2caa704a2d41c3bd09f7c017309.png

On 5/9/2024 at 7:24 AM, Jonson 2025 said:

This sight is horrible it's low grade and doesn't allow high quality pics sorry that's best I can do 

Not true, I take high quality pics, and decrease size slightly through photoshop. Turn out just fine.