• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found roll of 2009 D Lincoln-Early Childhood

14 posts in this topic

Thought it was interesting finding a roll of these. Maybe there are some keepersThese probably aren't worth much but I figured if there were some at MS 67 or greater it would be a decent find.

Probably not worth grading any even if I did find some gems in here am I right? Any opinions on value or worth sorting through? Anything else welcome, thank you!

20240505_112534.jpg.761a0d1e7cb6e6ab3a31e0151193e307.jpg20240505_112521.thumb.jpg.59cda4338c12fa20fe5bb9137952ff9b.jpg

Good luck, from the end photo it looks like this roll has already been opened.   But even if true and that person was only looking for errors or varieties then there could still be a gem inside.

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 12:06 PM, Coinbuf said:

Good luck, from the end photo it looks like this roll has already been opened.   But even if true and that person was only looking for errors or varieties then there could still be a gem inside.

I opened it to verify if it was a full row and not just an ender showing. I closed it and taped where I opened. 

I have not moved any out yet. I will have to research errors and varieties for this coin. Hoping there is something nice and clean in there :)

@Coinbuf so should I carefully go through them? (:

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
added

I got a full roll of the Formative Years design from the bank when they came out. The roll was all the same date and same (P)'s. I went through the whole roll one at a time and sent in the best one of the roll. It came back MS 66 RD. Not really worth the cost of sending it in. My advice would be since you already messed with the end of the roll, it would be hard to sell off the whole roll on say eBay because everybody will assume it has been cherrypicked so I would go ahead and open it, but I wouldn't expect to find any 67's or 68's unless you were super lucky. It's kind of like playing the lotto. I hope you get lucky and do find a superb gem in it. Good luck!

Maybe revisit this thread with the results.

I'm sitting on literally dozens of rolls of all the 2009 reverses. They were bought for 55 cents per roll. They'll sit until my son decides to open them after I'm gone.

Well I did just come across another roll. I did not open this one. The last roll was a bust. I doubt any were higher than MS 66 if that even. Majority either had something or barely anything but the ones that were clean from marks or most marks had little black circles or smudges/stains..you can see the problem on the reverse end of this photo clearly but you see it on the obverse side as well. This is the unopened roll I found today. I'm assuming it will have the same problem..sigh 

20240506_195824.jpg.d6f4d59fbfdbbfec0b568a7b037a5a48.jpg20240506_195819.jpg.8b28ab0fe926b64eb9b7b507fff246c4.jpg

On 5/5/2024 at 3:40 PM, powermad5000 said:

I got a full roll of the Formative Years design from the bank when they came out. The roll was all the same date and same (P)'s. I went through the whole roll one at a time and sent in the best one of the roll. It came back MS 66 RD. Not really worth the cost of sending it in. My advice would be since you already messed with the end of the roll, it would be hard to sell off the whole roll on say eBay because everybody will assume it has been cherrypicked so I would go ahead and open it, but I wouldn't expect to find any 67's or 68's unless you were super lucky. It's kind of like playing the lotto. I hope you get lucky and do find a superb gem in it. Good luck!

Maybe revisit this thread with the results.

Mhmm might just have to play the coin roll lotto again. I'm pretty sure this roll is another bust though -_-

On 5/6/2024 at 1:23 PM, VKurtB said:

I'm sitting on literally dozens of rolls of all the 2009 reverses. They were bought for 55 cents per roll. They'll sit until my son decides to open them after I'm gone.

Hopefully thats way down the road!!

Wishing him the best of luck on those dozens of rolls!

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 9:12 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Well I did just come across another roll. I did not open this one. The last roll was a bust. I doubt any were higher than MS 66 if that even. Majority either had something or barely anything but the ones that were clean from marks or most marks had little black circles or smudges/stains..you can see the problem on the reverse end of this photo clearly but you see it on the obverse side as well. This is the unopened roll I found today. I'm assuming it will have the same problem..sigh 

20240506_195824.jpg.d6f4d59fbfdbbfec0b568a7b037a5a48.jpg20240506_195819.jpg.8b28ab0fe926b64eb9b7b507fff246c4.jpg

This roll has also been opened on the head side. I do this all the time with rolls I have searched. The people at the bank think I never opened them

Edited by J P M

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 5:48 AM, J P M said:

This roll has also been opened on the head side. I do this all the time with rolls I have searched. The people at the bank think I never opened them

I get what your saying but your assumption doesn't mean it's a fact.

Maybe it has been maybe it hasnt. Either way im pretty sure this roll is a bust too. What leads you to believe it has been opened already for a fact?

I do see how you could assume from the reverse end being super tight and neat but the obverse is tight just not as neat. Is that what your basing it on?

I'm asking this in a positive curious tone I know words with no emotions can be taken in the wrong context so I wanted to clarify that I'm just genuinely curious. Thanks for your input

J P M fellow nickel fan :grin:

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
added

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 9:24 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I get what your saying but your assumption doesn't mean it's a fact.

Maybe it has been maybe it hasnt. Either way im pretty sure this roll is a bust too. What leads you to believe it has been opened already for a fact?

I do see how you could assume from the reverse end being super tight and neat but the obverse is tight just not as neat. Is that what your basing it on?

I'm asking this in a positive curious tone I know words with no emotions can be taken in the wrong context so I wanted to clarify that I'm just genuinely curious. Thanks for your input

J P M fellow nickel fan :grin:

I open rolls almost every night and I reuse the paper it came in to save money. After many years of rerolling coins in their bank wrappers I can say I am 95% sure that end has been opened in my opinion. Not saying this to be mean.(thumbsu Here are some that I did a little too fast they are not great, but you can get an idea when you see the little creases around the edges 

rerolls.jpg

Edited by J P M