• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Red Book for the collection
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Fascinating to see the prices for older coins before the numismatic run-up for small denomination coins as well as the gold/silver coins before 1973. (thumbsu

Man, I totally remember this book! It was the first coin book I ever owned! Same year even. I bought one new when I started becoming interested in collecting. I would just read and dream. I don't know what happened to my copy. I know I no longer have it. I may have just let the local library have it once the prices in it seemed to no longer apply to the actual market. Now I wish I would have kept it.

Cool @J P M!

Posted (edited)

Whenever I see an old Coin or Red Book, I try to buy it. I now have the 30th 50th Anniversary edition, 56th and the 75th Anniversary edition.

1977 Red Book.jpg

1997.jpg

2003 Red Book.jpg

2022 Red Book.jpg

1984.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 4/29/2024 at 7:25 PM, J P M said:

Whenever I see an old Coin or Red Book, I try to buy it. I now have the 30th 50th Anniversary edition, 56th and the 75th Anniversary edition.

1977 Red Book.jpg

1997.jpg

2003 Red Book.jpg

2022 Red Book.jpg

1984.jpg

...nice start, long way to go...ive known a few collectors over the years that were trying to collect every edition, some bit pricey...i inherited the editions my grandfather had so i have a few of the early years n those ive bought here n there...off top my head think first year was 1947...u tell ur wife she did good....

Take a look at the Lincoln cent listing. I think this 30th edition has an error in it.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:30 PM, Just Bob said:

Take a look at the Lincoln cent listing. I think this 30th edition has an error in it.

What error would that be ?

On 5/5/2024 at 9:33 PM, Just Bob said:

1908s VDB

Wow that is cool, a very high price cent. There is even a mintage number for a nonexistent coin

1908 VDB error.jpg

On 5/6/2024 at 8:47 AM, Just Bob said:

Thanks for showing a picture. I had heard about the error, but never actually seen a copy to confirm it.

I wonder if the San Fran mint actually made a run of 1908s coins as a trial to the 1909 it would be a cool find if so.

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 7:52 AM, J P M said:

I wonder if the San Fran mint actually made a run of 1908s coins as a trial to the 1909 it would be a cool find if so.

The story that I heard was that this typographical error actually fueled a rumor that the mint had done just that: created some pattern coins in 1908 that somehow got released.. Supposedly, people were searching all over looking for them. Unfortunately they don't exist.

Edited by Just Bob

On 5/6/2024 at 11:29 AM, Just Bob said:

The story that I heard was that this typographical error actually fueled a rumor that the mint had done just that: created some pattern coins in 1908 that somehow got released.. Supposedly, people were searching all over looking for them. Unfortunately they don't exist.

Like this from Dan Carr.

“1907”, “1908-S VDB”, “1942-P”, “2009-s”, “2109-s” Fantasy Over-Struck ...