• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Testing My Razer Webcam: Thoughts on Picture Quality
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get good shots of some of my coins to share here, but I'm not sure if the results are good enough or just a bit too grainy. I'm using my Razer Kiyo with the Synapse software (default settings), and I've zoomed in as far as I can go without the entire coin being blurred. Since Synapse doesn't allow for taking photos with the app, I just maximized the preview and took a screen shot. The two coins below are a 1970 10 New Pence and a 1950 1 Shilling from the UK. I use Paint.Net for cropping photos, but I didn't apply any filters to the images.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on these photos and advice on how I might get better results.

Cheers!

Bel Izeard

UK_1 Shilling_1950_Obverse_Screen.jpg

UK_1 Shilling_1950_Reverse_Screen.jpg

UK_10 New Pence_1970_Obverse_Screen.jpg

UK_10 New Pence_1970_Reverse_Screen.jpg

On 4/28/2024 at 3:29 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Nice pics. Flatten your staples!

Hmm, I didn't know to do that. Is there a special tool for that or just tapping them with a hammer. The only hammer I have is a full size one, and I don't want to accidentally hit the coins. Heh.

Another one I wanted to show off. This Australian 20 Cents Coin from 1994. My mom had a quite a few Australian coins but this was the nicest looking one of the bunch. I still need to put the other ones in flips. :grin:

Australia_20 Cents_1994_Reverse_Screen.jpg

Australia_20 Cents_1994_Obverse_Screen.jpg

Nose is too big on 1950 and 2023.  :)

First two are out of focus, others are better.  Now the tough part -- getting light on the face of the coin w/o reflections off the mylar 2x2 windows. (No, using an Apple iFone will not help with Windows....)

On 4/28/2024 at 5:53 PM, RWB said:

Nose is too big on 1950 and 2023.  :)

First two are out of focus, others are better.  Now the tough part -- getting light on the face of the coin w/o reflections off the mylar 2x2 windows. (No, using an Apple iFone will not help with Windows....)

xD

Perhaps being in the white flip helps the camera focus better than the black background. I tried several different shots for the first two coins, but the images I've posted were the  best results. All the shots were very grainy and so out of focus that I couldn't see any of the details of the coins. The camera does come with a ring light, but that causes huge reflections. It's too late in the day to try again. I'll try again tomorrow with the 10 New Pence coin after I put it in a flip and see if that makes a difference.

BTW, is there some sort of restriction on how often newbies can post? After my last post in this thread 4 hours ago, I could no longer see the window to add a reply.

Everyone has some kind of issue with taking photos of coins. My phone either sometimes makes the pic look "juiced" so I try to delete all those, or does not capture the surface well. Best you can do is keep experimenting with whatever equipment you have. One thing I do know is that proper lighting is critical to the photo being the best it can be.

I don't think there is any restrictions on how many posts or replies you can make in a day. I do know sometimes the forum can be a little "glitchy" at times. Sometimes, I have to log out for a while and come back to it later.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:45 PM, powermad5000 said:

Everyone has some kind of issue with taking photos of coins. My phone either sometimes makes the pic look "juiced" so I try to delete all those, or does not capture the surface well. Best you can do is keep experimenting with whatever equipment you have. One thing I do know is that proper lighting is critical to the photo being the best it can be.

I don't think there is any restrictions on how many posts or replies you can make in a day. I do know sometimes the forum can be a little "glitchy" at times. Sometimes, I have to log out for a while and come back to it later.

Yes, I'll keep experimenting. Today was a partially sunny day. Hopefully the light will be better tomorrow.

I'm glad there isn't a restriction. You're probably right; it probably glitched on me.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:31 PM, Bel_Izeard said:

the white flip helps the camera focus better than the black background.

Yes white is always a better background. If you can shoot before you put it in the flip. Your shots are nice but still a bit out of focus that will come with more practice. Try to find a focus point on the coin and go with that. 

On 4/29/2024 at 5:00 AM, J P M said:

Yes white is always a better background. If you can shoot before you put it in the flip. Your shots are nice but still a bit out of focus that will come with more practice. Try to find a focus point on the coin and go with that. 

I have been using the camera's autofocus, but it sounds like I need to manual focus the camera. Thanks for your help.

On paper, list every adjustment you can manipulate,
compose a factorial design matrix,
and follow the route to Carnegie Hall.

Edited by USAuPzlBxBob
because

Posted (edited)

So, while the light outside today isn't the best, I figured I'd give this another shot. First up is the UK 10 New Pence from 1970 in a flip. I've manually focused the camera and I think the results are a lot better. These are still screen captures using my camera's built in software.

UK_10 New Pence_1970_Reverse_Screen_In Flip.jpg

UK_10 New Pence_1970_Obverse_Screen_In Flip.jpg

Edited by Bel_Izeard

Here's the last one for right now *: a Ireland 10 Pence (large type) from 1975.

This is not a coin that my mom gave me. I got it from my dad when I was a kid. I used it, a lot, to draw circles on game maps. It was just the right size to draw large planets on star system maps for some of my sci-fi RPG settings. Thus, it has been through a lot. Imagine it being pushed down onto paper with my thumber and drawing around its edge with pencils, including colored pencils. Heh.

When my mom gave me her coins, I ended up cleaning some of them, and this one, before learning that I shouldn't clean the coins. (I really wish I'd known that before I "buffed" several older Canadian and US pennies. Ah well, live and learn.) In truth, it doesn't really matter. I won't EVER give this one up. My dad let me have it, so it is one of the things I still have that connects me to him.

I should also note that when I was a kid, I thought this was some sort of Greek coin. :eyeroll:

Cheers!

Bel

* I must finish my laundry.

Ireland_10 Pence L_1975_Obverse_Screen.jpg

Ireland_10 Pence L_1975_Reverse_Screen.jpg

On 4/28/2024 at 2:41 PM, Bel_Izeard said:

Hmm, I didn't know to do that. Is there a special tool for that or just tapping them with a hammer. The only hammer I have is a full size one, and I don't want to accidentally hit the coins. Heh.

I use a regular pliers and am very careful. Here's the secret: do not align the grooves of the pliers with the staples. Go at an angle, like 45 degrees. Give room for the tips to squeeze out from under and dig into the cardboard.

On 4/29/2024 at 12:21 PM, Bel_Izeard said:

I have been using the camera's autofocus, but it sounds like I need to manual focus the camera. Thanks for your help.

No photography expert by a longshot...I just use my Galaxy S9 smarptphone on default settings...angling the coins at a 30-degree angle.  Medium LED lights behind me and the shots look OK for the forums if not for HA or GC. xD

Staple flattening:

On 4/28/2024 at 5:41 PM, Bel_Izeard said:

I use a pair of needle nose pliers with hardly any teeth which works very well.