• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do the impacted areas of the obverse of this coin look accurate/legit?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2024 at 8:03 AM, cobymordet said:

groovy, thanks!

Yes it is groovy. In a few spotslol

[PS: Lamination difficulties in binary coin alloys are most commonly caused by inclusions of slag, oxides, contaminants or air bubbles. It was not an alloy mixing problem. The only consistent exception is the ternary wartime silver nickel alloy.]

If this remark does not get me barred from the Board for Life, I cannot imagine what would:

I DO NOT LIKE YOUR COIN!

I dislike it so much (and the remarks elicited from Members which following it, that I resolved, then and there, to order you one more befitting display on this Forum.

I don't care much for flaws so I had to reach for that "bag" provided as a courtesy to airline passengers (familiar to my colleague z) when they suddenly experience bouts of nausea.  :headbang:

I fought PayPal tool and nail, but I would not be deterred. I placed the order. As the one of the Forum's "Rising Stars," I shall assume all costs and ask only you do not reciprocate. You may pay your kindness forward.

At your earliest convenience, if you would PM me a secure address (i.e., an address, that isn't posted on a box on a pole  just inches from the street where thefts therefrom are known to have occurred) I would be delighted to forward it to you, or a trusted friend, on or about May 1st.

Some facts about your coin... The coin, as you are aware, is a 12-sided dodechedron, minted in an alloy (88% Cu and 12% Zn) using a term I never heard of. "Tombac."  It is the U.S. equivalent of a "Wartime" nickel and features a burning torch and and a large V for victory.  And lastly (and curiously) a message written in Morse code encirles the obverse rim, circumferentially. Here, most regrettably, I must wield the late, great Oldhoopster's biting retort: "Look it up!."  :roflmao:

[For those obsessed with size, while it is virtually indistinguishable from the French 20-francs gold rooster, it exceeds its diameter by all of one (1) mm. Obviously, gold makes it heavier.]

On 4/25/2024 at 6:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I DO NOT LIKE YOUR COIN!

Henri,  methinks you doth protest too much sir. 

Don't worry about it.  I will probably purchase this set eventually. . .or you can for me. . .

image.thumb.jpeg.68b696197b728c286685ed9933369a6a.jpeg

That way, I can learn to dot dot dash dash dot dash dash dot dot dot

._.. _ _ _ ._..

I don't protest.  I see a coin, and think, "Is it possible to do better?"  And if the answer is, "I believe so," I check it out.  And I did.

No matter what, it's too late now. The seller sold the coin to the buyer. Me.

Becsuse there were 5 potential buyers watching, no bidding -- but only one avaliable, I had to move fast. 

You don't have to like it. It'll be yours.  I had no idea it was part of a set. I have had a very, very long day... 18 hrs.  

It's FREE!  It's YOURS!  ^^

On 4/25/2024 at 8:57 PM, Henri Charriere said:

"Is it possible to do better?"

Always, but sadly I gravitate to broken toys.  Funny enough, I had no idea this coin existed about two weeks ago.  I like that I learn something new every day.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

...The coin, as you are aware, is a 12-sided dodechedron, minted in an alloy (88% Cu and 12% Zn) ...

Dodecahedrons are 3-dimensional solids with 12 faces.  You mean dodecagon - a polygon with 12 sides.

UPDATE:  IT'S WINGING ITS WAY TO ME IN NOO YAWK CITY.

Respecting your privacy, feel free to PM me with any entity you are reasonably sure will receive this.  I do not plan to do anything more than slap a new label on it and forward it to the address you provide. 

Re:  whether a: dodecagram, dodecadon, dodecagon, dodecahedron or dodecagonal, rhombus dodecahedron or rhombicosidodecahedron, I leave to minds greater than mine.  (thumbsu 

On 4/25/2024 at 7:17 PM, Greenstang said:

Morse Code “ We win when we work willingly”

...w to the 6th...gotcha....