• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 SMS Kennedy Half dollar
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Hold-on-wait-a-minute...

Surely, you are not suggesting these CIRCULATION STRIKE coins bear any resemblance, however remote, to the absolutely gorgeous, well-defined, wll-struck example posted early on, entitled PCGS SP- 69?

Without the courtesy of offering a view of the reverse, it is virtually impossible to pinpoint the precise location where the slight demerit demanding  a 1-point deficit occurred.

Now look at the very last example posted and, if I may, I should like to direct your kind attention to the aftermath of the barroom brawl which was recorded for posterity in the lower SE quadrant of the coin in the area between 64 of the date and WE TRUST.

Sorry, no comparison.

Parting shot:  many may disagree, as is their prerogative, but you could not give me, free/gratis, and -69 coin. It reminds me of the father, a real taskmaster who, in reviewing his son's transcript, paused at the overall 3.98 GPA and, inquired of his son why it wasn't 4.00.  To me a -70, with a professional opinion rendered by our Sandon, seals the deal.  Anything less, to me, signals a suggestion of a flaw or defect of some kind.  That is why I make the distinction, as others do, between "best" and "best possible." Expense must never acquiesce to sacrifice.  That is why the names of the Blue Whales in our profession mean so much.  🐓 

On 4/18/2024 at 8:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

the father, a real taskmaster who, in reviewing his son's transcript, paused at the overall 3.98 GPA and, inquired of his son why it wasn't 4.00.

I see you knew my father, the man with an 8th grade education.  

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/18/2024 at 7:29 PM, VasquezJ said:

It’s not a business strike and it’s not a proof. 

Wrong. It IS an ordinary business strike, and not a particularly good one. 

Explain what details does a Special Strike have that this coin doesn’t have. Please explain what details a special strike have vz business strike. 

The onus isn't on us to explain why your perfectly ordinary looking 1964 Kennedy half dollar isn't one of the so-called (and misnamed) 1964 "SMS" coins. You're the one who is claiming that it is one, so the burden is on you to make a credible case that it is. Should you make such a case, then we might have something worthy of discussion.

I assume that you would have carefully studied the available literature and photos regarding these extremely rare and controversial pieces before claiming that you have one. What characteristics does it have that distinguishes it from ordinary circulation strike pieces (over 273 million minted), and from what if any special provenance did it come that would support a position that it could be one of these purported special strikes?

You have now claimed to have found three different extremely rare coins. What part of EXTREMELY RARE don't you understand?

We all know what the OP is all about. Good chance he is a past member that had his feelings hurt and is back to cause trouble. I'm sure he will be back with more false claims. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:31 AM, ldhair said:

We all know what the OP is all about. Good chance he is a past member that had his feelings hurt and is back to cause trouble. I'm sure he will be back with more false claims. 

I would say that you ae 100% correct, he will be back with another bogus claim, why? because he enjoys trolling and all the attention he receives.

All coins are 1964 Kennedy half dollar coins but the coin on top is the 1964 SMS Special Strike and the 2 on bottom are the regular business strike coins. 

IMG_7123.jpeg

On 4/20/2024 at 3:41 PM, VasquezJ said:

So back to original question? Does the value apply to the whole set or just this coin?

Truth ........Without the correct die markers, you are not going to get any more than today's market price of around $9.00 each anywhere you take these coins if you are lucky.

Truth ....... They are still worth 50 cents all day long.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, VasquezJ said:

the coin on top is the 1964 SMS Special Strike

No, the only feature notable about the coin on top are hairline scratches indicating that it has been abrasively "cleaned".   

On 4/20/2024 at 8:46 PM, VasquezJ said:

Well obviously you have no knowledge about coins so maybe you shouldn’t even speak on it. 

The coin has been cleaned and has been in circulation. It has lost most of it's luster. It's worth the price of silver at this point. That is about $10.48 as of this morning. Nice image. It leaves little more to learn about the coin. If you don't agree, send the coin to NGC and prove the members here are wrong. 

Anyone with a basic understanding of this hobby will tell you it's a waste of time and money. 

He realized a profit of $1,699,999.99 on the sale of his certified one cent coin so losing money on a bad submission now is meaningless to him........................................................................

check out https://mintsetguide.com/ for info on SMS sets

The United States Mint has created annual sets of Uncirculated coins for collectors widely known as Mint Sets since 1947. Amidst a few interruptions and several changes in format, this popular collector offering continues to the present day. The useful numismatic product allows collectors to have one example of each coin issued for circulation within a complete set issued by the U.S. Mint.

The first generation of sets issued from 1947 to 1958 included two examples of each coin struck for circulation and are sometimes referred to as “Double Mint Sets.” These were typically issued in low numbers and can now be difficult to find intact and in the original packaging. Those sets encountered in the original packaging, which consisted of cardboard and paper holders, will generally include coins which have developed tonging over time. This type of original toning can be desired by many collectors and can sometimes exhibit attractive rainbow hues.

The next generation of sets issued from 1959 to 1964 came in flat packs similar to the packaging developed for the Proof Sets. Two cellophane packs contained a single example of each coin issued for circulation and were placed within an envelope marked with the date of release. After this run, the issuance of typical Mint Sets was briefly suspended and for three years, Special Mint Sets were issued instead.

@JoeF--This topic has nothing to do with mint-issued uncirculated coin sets, a.k.a. "mint sets" or the Special Mint Sets issued by the mint for the years 1965 to 1967.  The topic author is claiming to have a purported special strike 1964 half dollar that, along with similar 1964 pieces of other denominations, were once thought to be a prototype for Special Mint Set coins, which now appears to have been an incorrect assumption. NGC has the most current published account of these pieces, which I will repeat here for your and other readers' benefit:

Once thought to be prototypes for the Special Mint Set coins of 1965-67, the 1964 Specimen strikes do have a story to tell, but not that one. Starting in the 1950s, possibly dating to the arrival of Vladimir Clain-Steffanelli as curator in 1957, the Smithsonian's National Coin Collection received fresh strikes of each year's coinage through all or most of the 1970s. These were forwarded by the Philadelphia Mint and consisted of ordinary coinage of the type made for circulation, but the dies were fresh and sharp, retaining the satiny fields characteristic of new dies, along the with fine, irregular polishing lines also typical of new currency dies. This distribution was not known to anyone outside of either institution, and when perhaps a couple dozen sets of 1964(P) coins from cent through half dollar came into the market in the early 1990s, their distinctive appearance was noted. These coins brought strong premiums and still do in their rare appearances, but the term Special Mint Set does not apply to them. The obverse is the Normal Hair (non-Accented Hair, only used on proof coins) type, while the reverse is the Type 1 reverse, with a straight G in the FS designer's initials and breaks in rays 11-13 (counting from the left) where they meet stars.  1964 50C SP | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com)

The PCGS Coinfacts account reads in pertinent part as follows:

The 1964 Special Strike Kennedy Half dollars display very unique characteristics unseen on any other coins of the era. First of all, the strike is very sharp as it displays very clear details on both the obverse and the reverse. The coins also contain a smooth satin like appearance with the rims being very square and sharp. There are die polishing lines throughout the coins' surfaces. These coins also tend to lack contact marks unlike business strike coins, indicating that they were struck and handled under extreme care. Furthermore, the coins do not display the reflective surfaces that are usually encountered on proof   coins.  https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1964-50c-sms/6844

The PCGS account states that all of these coins came from the estate of dealer Lester Merkin, which is now believed to be highly questionable, but it does appear that they had some special provenance and would not be found among ordinary 1964 coins.

Some researchers, such as @RWB, have concluded that there is really nothing "special" about these coins and that they are simply regular circulation strikes struck from new dies. @FlyingAl is working on an article about these coins which will hopefully resolve the ongoing controversy about these coins. See https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/432734-comprehensive-research-on-the-so-called-1964-sms-coins-is-in-the-works-what-questions-do-members-here-have-about-these-coins.

As for the topic author, he has claimed over the past few months to have found (1) a 1943 cent that is some sort of extreme rarity even though it sticks to a magnet and of which we have not seen photos, (2) a 1927 "Special Strike" nickel that was worn down to Very Good to Fine grade and turned out to have a "D" mintmark, and (3) this purported 1964 "SMS" Kennedy half dollar, which does not have satin fields, continuous die polish marks, square rims, or apparently other characteristics identified for these coins. Its photos indicate it to be an ordinary circulation strike 1964 Kennedy half dollar that is lightly worn and has been "cleaned".

@Sandon...I think you missed the point of my post.

For one the thread title is 1964 SMS Kennedy Half Dollar. Two, the OP states in one of his posts "The topic is about the 1964 SMS Kennedy Half Dollar..." So the topic is pretty much about if the coin is a SMS or not.

The text regarding mint sets was included to give the OP context the key point being "The next generation of [mint] sets were issued from 1959 to 1964 and then "After this run, the issuance of typical Mint Sets was briefly suspended and for three years, Special Mint Sets were issued instead." So the 1964 Kennedy is not an SMS issue.

btw...you have an impressive registry set.

On 4/19/2024 at 9:38 AM, VKurtB said:

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” was a phrase made popular by Carl Sagan who reworded Laplace's principle, which says that “the weight of evidence for an extraordinary claim must be proportioned to its strangeness” (Gillispie et al., 1999).

I have found a mule. Here is my extraordinary evidence.Donkeys Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave