• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazed
1 1

19 posts in this topic

First, welcome to the boards.

There are lots of levels of "beautiful" in coins.  Without seeing your coins, I really cannot begin to guess the value.  However, I can tell you... if you got these coins from circulation, there is a 99.9999% chance that the coins value is less than the cost of grading (and likely MUCH less).  There are no major valuable varieties for this date.  These coins sell for <$20 in low mint state grades, and the cost to grade will eat any value at that level.

Feel free to post pics, but unless you have something extraordinary... you will be better off financially enjoying the coin in an album or flip.

Welcome to the forum

To get a coin graded, it should have a value of at least $150.00 to make it worthwhile.   
Just because a coin is beautiful, it does not make it valuable. What you have without
seeing them would probably make good album fillers. If you would like to post a clear
photo of both sides of the coins we might be able to help you further. 

It looks like a nice coin to put in a folder but it would not be worth the cost to send it in for grading.

On 4/17/2024 at 4:42 PM, Nakia74 said:

IMG_20240417_164046.jpg

IMG_20240417_164055.jpg

This is a proof cent and while I understand that it is "beautiful" to you, it is not a deep cameo coin and it looks to have been impaired and has very little value in this condition.   If you still wish to submit the coin to NGC you are certainly welcome and able to do that, but it will not be a very good use of your money.   However, if the coin has some special connection or meaning to you it may be worth it to you to still have the coin graded and encapsulated.   I will say that from your photo it seems very possible that your proof cent could receive a details grade.

Should you still decide to submit use a value of $20, that is well in excess of its actual value but that value is fine for the purposes of filling out the submission form.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck on your coin collecting journey.

I'm not so sure it's proof. That coin looks replated to me.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think it is an impaired proof. Looks like maybe it has some environmental damage since it is just plain loose and not even in a cardboard flip.

There were over 1.2 million proofs made for this year and I think you could locate a much better example already graded for probably less than you will spend to submit this coin to have it slabbed. On the scale of proofs, this would be on the low end as it is not even Cameo or Ultra Cameo. And if you submitted this coin and it returns as Proof Details, basically all of its value will have gone out the window and your grading costs will all be a loss.

As a long time collector myself … I wouldn’t send that coin in grading … it nice to you I would put in 2x2 Mylar and put in folder book or something … you can actually buy those anywhere 1957 wasn’t a special year either , it would cost you a lot money just to have it graded by NGC in the end it’s just not worth it money and value wise …. How ever you can buy one that was already graded that a coin dealer sent in for bulk submission grading at discounted prices on their end … for average collectors like myself and other on here ? The cost would be to high to send something like that in for grading 

Skip the forms. No 1957 cent is worth the certification cost. These remain available by the 100-roll and mint-sealed bag lot.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:17 AM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Nice coin. The others are correct, I wouldn't send it in to get graded, but it's not everyday you find a proof, much less a proof wheat. Where did you happen upon it?

I got it from a bank roll of pennies I searched from Wells Fargo 

On 4/18/2024 at 2:51 PM, JKK said:

Look at those chips around the rim. Now I'm sure it's replated.

While I am not ruling this out, I think you are seeing rim nicks that the light is catching and making it look that way.   

On 4/19/2024 at 9:47 PM, Coinbuf said:

While I am not ruling this out, I think you are seeing rim nicks that the light is catching and making it look that way.   

If the pics were even halfway properly cropped and blown up, we'd know better. But right now, I'd almost bet the cost of grading on replating. It's not just the chips; it's the way the surface looks.

On 4/18/2024 at 4:51 PM, JKK said:

Look at those chips around the rim. Now I'm sure it's replated.

Other than the rims, it looks like a routine 1957 proof. The hits on the rims look like damage. 

On 4/20/2024 at 4:22 PM, VKurtB said:

Other than the rims, it looks like a routine 1957 proof. The hits on the rims look like damage.

Agreed. Also, why would somebody go through the trouble of replating it, just to release it into circulation, this is a roll find after all.... I'd say it's a proof. Worth 10 dollars maybe?

Edited by ThePhiladelphiaPenny

On 4/22/2024 at 2:07 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Agreed. Also, why would somebody go through the trouble of replating it, just to release it into circulation, this is a roll find after all.... I'd say it's a proof. Worth 10 dollars maybe?

Might not have happened that way. I've seen 1950s wheaties that were quite obviously plated and looked very much like this one. Sometimes kids steal from Bampaw's collection, or something else happens to dump them into circulation that was not the intent of whoever plated it (whatever that intent might even have been). I still think it's replated, but I don't really care about the end result.