• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel stamped with dime
1 1

20 posts in this topic

It is worth 5 cents so not worth submitting.
Someone has put glue on the nickel and pressed a dime into it.   
You could probably remove it by soaking it in acetone overnight.

Most, if not all members will reply stating this is not an error and not worth submitting.  This happened after the coin left the mint and is considered post-mint damage (PMD).  Both coins were likely squeezed together in a vice causing the impressions.  Just my opinion.  The best view of your coin for everyone would be without scope.

If there is no glue on it ( hard to tell from a screen shot) then it is what is known as a vice or garage job.   
Someone has pressed another coin into it. It is now considered a damaged coin.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:59 AM, Robertdpg said:

How was it damaged on both sides?

You can see abuse side has marks where it was stamped

Place a dime on either side of the nickel.  Squeeze in vise until the dime impressions are left on both sides of the nickel.  Viola - vise job!

Quick question, if it was a dime stamped on a nickel, how would a nickel fit in a dime collar.   
It is easy to see that it is a vice job / glue by the fact that the copy of the dime is in reverse.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:18 AM, Robertdpg said:

No it's coned in it is struck on the back at least 4 to 5 times that I can see.

My momma always said: "if at first you don't succeed, then continue to smash coins together until it looks crazy, then and only then will be legitimized by the numismatic board of error definers."  true story, i premise. . .

On 4/11/2024 at 11:18 AM, Robertdpg said:

Can you explain why you think it was struck this way?  We can (and have) explain(ed) why we think it's a vise job.

Robertdpg 

You have been told by five knowledgeable members that your nickel is damage.   
If you are not going to believe anyone and question the answers, then spend the    
$55-60.00 it will cost you to have it certified. I can guarantee that you will get the    
same answer and your nickel will still be worth 5 cents.

You should have posted clear, cropped photos of each full side of this coin, not partial images as they appear on your computer screen.  However, even these partial photos indicate that this coin is not a mint error but was intentionally altered outside the mint.  

As @Greenstang pointed out, it would be impossible for a coin such as a nickel to be accidentally overstruck by the dies for a smaller coin such as a dime. Moreover, the dime impressions are backwards and incuse, indicating that the nickel was squeezed together with a struck dime or dimes, not overstruck by dime dies. See https://www.error-ref.com/squeeze-job-or-vice-job-or-garage-job/https://conecaonline.org/brockage-or-not-sandwich-coins/.

If you still don't believe us, you can submit the coin to CONECA for examination. See https://conecaonline.org/examination-services/. You can also submit photos to Jon Sullivan of Sullivan Numismatics, a major error dealer and contributor to the error-ref.com site, for his opinion. See https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/.  You could also submit the coin to a grading service and spend a great deal of money to be told that what you have is a damaged, altered 1996-P nickel.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:18 AM, Robertdpg said:

Robert -

You posted a question because you wanted knowledgeable and truthful answers regarding the nickel in your photos, and specifically its value. Unless you have suddenly become expert in numismatic errors, your best course is to pay attention to the comments from members. Also, stop watching U-tube videos on "error coins." They are nearly all lies and are there just to get money for exposing viewers to ads -- it's called "click bait."

A few facts:

1) The shank on a dime die will not fit in a press that is striking nickels.

2) A struck nickel will not fit in the feeding mechanism of a dime press.

Either of these make your idea impossible.

3) Another item: If a nickel were struck with dime dies all the lettering on both coins would read normally. Your first photo shows the dime image is reversed.

First off, coins from the Mint are struck not stamped.

That said, the coin you have actually is "stamped" (much like as in a counterstamp where someone punches their initials or a design into a coin already struck). It took me seconds to see the backwards image of a dime onto a nickel to send my brain right into vise job territory. Being there is a preponderance of posts like yours that appear here within a given year makes me wonder if there isn't another cutesy YoubeeTubee video showing how allegedly "cool" it is to make vise job coins in your garage. For the record, it is not cool or kewl for those of that era.

You should keep in mind people can do some weird stuff to coins. Most of the time, only the person doing the damage can say why they did what they did. What we know is that damage is damage and sometimes people do these things as an experiment, sometimes to illegitimately make an "error" to defraud someone, or simply deface currency because they can.

Edited by powermad5000

Newbie logs on. Claims to have a rare error coin. Unanimous experts say no. Newbie argues. Feelings get hurt. Now where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, right HERE. HUNDREDS of times. Nothing new. 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:39 AM, VKurtB said:

Newbie logs on. Claims to have a rare error coin. Unanimous experts say no. Newbie argues. Feelings get hurt. Now where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, right HERE. HUNDREDS of times. Nothing new. 

Let me tell you what boy. I have a life besides here. I bet you would not talk like that with me in person. 

Mr. You think more of yourself than what you are. Anytime you want to speak to me about it I'll be glad too. 

You just hiding your scared butt  behind this screen. 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:59 AM, Robertdpg said:

Let me tell you what boy. I have a life besides here. I bet you would not talk like that with me in person. 

Mr. You think more of yourself than what you are. Anytime you want to speak to me about it I'll be glad too. 

You just hiding your scared butt  behind this screen. 

You either underestimate me or overestimate yourself. I spent the last 13 years of my career as a legislative staffer. We all got massive training on how to deal with hotheads. I was a good student. 

Edited by VKurtB

Dprince

abdullah

mustache

vasquez

robert

Looks like NGC will be the one getting rich quickly👍😁👍

Edited by LOCK34