• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986 Silver Eagle with 'W' mint mark
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I think you may be confused there are no W 1986 Silver Eagles that I know of. Can we see a photo of the coin?

On 4/3/2024 at 7:45 AM, andythestacker said:

Hi all,new here today i have the above silver eagle with the W mint mark on it any information on it much appreciated 

thx

Andy

All ASE (American silver eagle) coins coined in 1986 were produced in the SF mint, there are no W minted coins from that year.   Are you sure you are not confusing the designers initials as a mintmark?

Edited to add: you posted an ad to buy, who is the seller?

Edited by Coinbuf

On 4/3/2024 at 8:09 AM, andythestacker said:

Hi its a uk company called chards got it arriving tomorrow buddy

What you have bought is a counterfeit, there were no silver eagles struck at the west point mint in 1986, sorry.

Sorry sir, Looks like you may have been taken. Some British sellers are selling Chinese counterfeit coins.

As my friends have stated, The 1986 Silver Eagle was only Minted in San Fran.

Hope you are able to determine it is counterfeit and get a refund. Good Luck

4089596_Full_Obv.thumb.jpg.60bc8d8cea0394a6070da4f0e4fcc4c7.jpg4089596_Full_Rev.jpg.cbadf5e71d34dc8b4bc94fea2a1e5573.jpg

Hello and welcome!

There is certainly nothing to be further checked into upon arrival of this coin. There simply were no W mintmarked ASE's in 1986.

I am sorry you fell victim to this counterfeit. I would hope the seller is just as unknowing as you were in regards to this, because if not, then that seller is a complete fraud! I hope the seller has a return policy so you can get your money back. I would do nothing as far as opening the packaging even because if you are to receive what is in the photo, it is worth $0 and I hope you can return the package unopened and recover your funds.

Might also be something made by a colorado counterfeiter. It produced altered ASEs in the past, so why not again?

On 4/4/2024 at 12:04 AM, RWB said:

Might also be something made by a colorado counterfeiter. It produced altered ASEs in the past, so why not again?

Aren't his clearly identified as such though ?

Liberty is not struck as sharply as on the SanFran coin.  Ditto the reverse with the Eagle looking much different.

This coin is one step above someone using Crayons. xD

On 4/4/2024 at 1:19 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Aren't his clearly identified as such though ?

No. And identification does not matter. The altered ASEs look like the real thing -- just as an 1909 with glued on S does.

@andythestacker well welcome to forums …. Little advice to give ya , it’s more better to ask question about a particular coin or bullion whatever FIRST ! before buying …. Just common sense in this type of hobby for newbies to learn about “do and don’t” we could have prevented you from spending your money on rubbish that isn’t worth a hoot … ! But it’s too late you bought the coin first then oddly came on here asking about it …. 

@VKurtB : As our globe-trotting, frequent mile flyer, I will put the following question to you since you have more than just a passing knowledge of this seller:

What are the chances Chards would sell a customer a counterfeit coin?

(By all means, read the foregoing comments made by members, many of whom lack the familiarity with that concern that you do.)

To the OP:  Fear not.  You have dealt with a reputable establishment.  Your money will be refunded as per store policy.