• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 p penny - reverse die crack

12 posts in this topic

Friends…my first post and request for your assistance. in searching OBW rolls of 2023 p pennies, I came across a die crack on the reverse originating from the rim traveling through the last A in America. I then found over 100 in all states of the die cracking…some more prominent than others. i haven’t found any reference or interest online and am wondering if this common or not, even worth setting aside? appreciate any and all opinions 

IMG_2810.jpeg

Are you saying that you found over 100 coins showing various stages of the same die crack?

Yes that is correct. Most look like the photo posted…some have a slightly less prominent crack but still noticeable.

100 and counting.  Only half way through box of 50 rolls.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

It is desirable when posting photos of coins that you include cropped photos of both sides and not just close ups. Generally speaking, any significant feature on a coin can be seen at no more than 10x magnification (some say no more than 5-7x). The extreme magnification you are using here isn't necessary.

Die cracks are very common on both old and new U.S. (and other countries') coins. They are simply indicative of a die that is approaching the end of its useful life and, as you noted, as the worn die continues to strike coins, the cracks lengthen.  They are usually collected as novelties and have little collector value. (One participant in these forums, @Errorists, rather likes them.) Only where a die has remained in use until a large piece has broken off of the die, forming an unstruck, blob-like area called a "cud", is there much collector interest or any significant premium. Showing the crack in progressively more advanced stages would, however, be interesting.

Here is an uncirculated 1942-S wartime composition Jefferson "nickel" with a meandering reverse die crack that runs from the "S" in "PLURIBUS" at the top to the second "S" in "STATES" at the bottom. (There is also a thin, curving crack from the side of Jefferson's head into his hair.) We've seen pieces of other dates in this series where the dies cracked in a similar pattern.

1942-Snickelobv..thumb.jpg.f58c3df95c7b58645134cc3a72577810.jpg

1942-Snickelrev..thumb.jpg.c7071c3789f7734f7c748ce9302b8b99.jpg

On 3/30/2024 at 11:41 PM, Brad F. said:

Yes that is correct. Most look like the photo posted…some have a slightly less prominent crack but still noticeable.

100 and counting.  Only half way through box of 50 rolls.

I don’t know if you have the time or the inclination to do it, but a picture montage showing the progression of the crack from the earliest stage to the latest would make for a very interesting thread.

On 3/30/2024 at 11:55 PM, Brad F. said:

Sure. Great idea.  I’ll finish sorting these rolls to achieve the greatest range and post again soon.

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Die cracks are a fun find and have developed a somewhat cult like following in the past few years during and after covid.   But that following is more interested in finding them and then selling not so much in buying them, so it's really a one way market and the buying group is a very small population of collectors which keeps the prices to just a bit over face value.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Die cracks have been present in coinage since basically the mint began mass producing coins. I have an 1883 Liberty Head nickel with die cracks on both the obverse and reverse. I at one time had a 1921 Morgan dollar with die cracks but that one just sold. I believe one member here @Sandon has an 1819 Coronet Head Large Cent with a large radial die crack. Point is, they are not errors and some collectors see them as "damage" and only collect examples without such die defects.

Die cracks are sometimes used as a die marker on coins with other anomalies such as DDO or DDR and are used to help identify a certain set of dies which was producing the anomaly, but in and of themselves, die cracks are basically only considered something "interesting" and only to some people.

In the case of what you have discovered, however, I think it would be educational and beneficial if you were to show photos of the progression of the discovered die crack here, since mostly, only a few examples get randomly shown, and mostly are never assembled in such a sequence or in such large numbers together.

While I find die cracks to be of "dull curiosity" unless they are in very large numbers as on the Liberty Head nickel I have (I could only guess the dies were about to shatter), I would have great interest in seeing this assemblage and progression you would be able to provide here. (thumbsu

Edited by powermad5000

Nice crack they are fun to find, I have a tin I keep stuff like this in. Looks like you got your rolls fresh off the line. That area looks to be a common spot for a crack. Here is a 2020 that I found. You may want to check with Cuds on Coins if you have a larger crack with progressive shots. They may posy your find. 

UDC-1c : Cuds on Coins (cuds-on-coins.com)

2020- P UDC.jpg

Edited by J P M

Cool coin. Personally, I don't like collecting error cents anymore of any type because if the plating is compromised at all even the tiniest amount it's a place where corrosion can set in and can destroy the coin. The zinc subsurface is highly corrosive. Pre 1982 is fine,however.  Other coins are fine. Strike through errors also show similar die progression irregularities.