• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of coin dealers that got robbed
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Seems like coin shows are becoming target places for thieves to hang around after show over they follow a dealer to their house or where ever … extreme cautions need taken when purchasing or moving expensive coins at the shows never know what looney bin is following you home  … Even a more reason to start carrying a handgun 

Edited by Jason Abshier

As regarding the theft of the contents of a USPS Priority Mail parcel shipped from Kansas to California...

I do not see how this shipment could have been targeted, so that leaves a blind, hit-or-miss theft which then raises the question of what does the thief do with thousands of old Iranian Rial banknotes?  Any attempted sale of something so specialized would surely stick out like a sore thumb and I fear, unless the thief has a ready outlet, it may be discarded or destroyed.  I have to assume your average thief wants goods that can be quickly converted into cash. I seriously doubt this was a steal-to-order job and, if that is the case, the purloined shipment is likely a total loss. As a collector, I find this to be absolutely shameful and heartbreaking.

Some of the other thefts involve inventory that is heavy and not easily portable.  Evidently, the thieves came prepared.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Korrek misspelling.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:05 PM, RWB said:

Moral ---- If you are a coin dealer, do not drive a car.

Or, drive a car, and bring a friend.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:42 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Seems like coin shows are becoming target places for thieves to hang around after show over they follow a dealer to their house or where ever … extreme cautions need taken when purchasing or moving expensive coins at the shows never know what looney bin is following you home  … Even a more reason to start carrying a handgun 

...oh yea on the last comment....

On 3/28/2024 at 6:32 PM, VKurtB said:

Eat from drive-through fast food, wear diapers, and have Smith and Wesson on your hip.

That Ol’ saying “When looting starts the shooting starts” (Walter Headley chief of police Miami Florida 1967) 

On 3/28/2024 at 10:42 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Police should have an EASY time setting up a sting.

Where's Henry Gondorff and Johnny Hooker when you need 'em ?  xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

How about a list of dealers who didn't get robbed....or...maybe one of dealers who cheated customers, or bounce checks, or....... Robberies and thefts are nothing unusual, and rates are much lower now than way back when. Crooks change with the times and opportunities; honest people have to do the same.

While the headline of this story said 'robberies', they go on to report 'burglaries'.

I've been the victim of a burglary before, but thankfully, never a robbery.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:54 PM, powermad5000 said:

The dealer who's home that got robbed obviously didn't make any stops, but wasn't situationally aware of being followed.

It is possible that his car may have had a tracking device attached to it, thus it is wrong to assume he was not situationally aware and checking to see if he was being followed.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

It is possible that his car may have had a tracking device attached to it, thus it is wrong to assume he was not situationally aware and checking to see if he was being followed.

You are correct. I forgot about those darn AirTags. Good additional point! Something we all should also need to start checking when parking at these shows. Do as best you can a check for AirTags on your car. 

@powermad5000 I’m sure coin shows are now the new hangout spots for criminals to steal coins off collectors or dealers when they leave show at the end of the event …. Everyone becoming more and more aware of this situation involving thieves and criminals …. My Grandfather used collect guns he went gun shows from time to time he knew dealers and they knew him well … one day a couple moved in next door to my grandfather he knew they were drug addicts (he believes they were the one that stole from him but there was no proof) …. He had go on vacation when he came home someone broke into his house stole a bunch of his guns not all of them but they mostly went after handguns however they moved 1 week after that incident … he never did find any of his guns back , he kept collecting bought a better gun safe (vault) as well back then gun safes weren’t popular in 70’s and 80’s most people kept their guns in wooden display cases with glass … 

On 4/21/2024 at 7:41 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@powermad5000 I’m sure coin shows are now the new hangout spots for criminals to steal coins off collectors or dealers when they leave show at the end of the event …. Everyone becoming more and more aware of this situation involving thieves and criminals …. My Grandfather used collect guns he went gun shows from time to time he knew dealers and they knew him well … one day a couple moved in next door to my grandfather he knew they were drug addicts (he believes they were the one that stole from him but there was no proof) …. He had go on vacation when he came home someone broke into his house stole a bunch of his guns not all of them but they mostly went after handguns however they moved 1 week after that incident … he never did find any of his guns back , he kept collecting bought a better gun safe (vault) as well back then gun safes weren’t popular in 70’s and 80’s most people kept their guns in wooden display cases with glass … 

...should have bought a couple of attack dogs....

On 4/24/2024 at 11:50 AM, RWB said:

Here's a little historical perspective - from the ANA August 1920 convention.

192010446-447_Page_1.thumb.jpg.55a9ac92afda9f992ff6e67d4cd95982.jpg

Darned South Americans. Kinda makes one appreciate Butch and Sundance a little more, doesn’t it?

Edited by VKurtB