• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1929 Buffalo Nickel Price Estimate
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2024 at 11:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

You claim to be such an expert why don't you tell us.

I asked for advice… not jealousy. This ain’t even my coin jack @$$ 😂😂

It is excellent that you are handling the coin by its edges. (thumbsu

However, I really cannot even entertain you with an opinion of grade or value from the photos provided. They are too far away for me to see what I need to see.

It might be helpful for you to put the coin on a table and then take the pics, make sure they are clear, and then fully crop them before posting them.

P.S. I should not know that you had to take your shoes off. (:

Edited by powermad5000
added some levity to my response

On 3/26/2024 at 8:41 PM, Mustacheman said:

I asked for advice… not jealousy. This ain’t even my coin jack @$$ 😂😂

I have seen nothing of your posts here to be jealous of duck man.  :roflmao:   But maybe if you give the forum some better moon shots of this nickel you can get the help you so desperately need.   You would think that someone in their teens would know how to use a cellphone camera.  doh!

Edited by Coinbuf

The photos we would need to provide any opinion about the coin's likely grade range would look something like this:

1938-DBuffalonickelobv..thumb.jpg.be8e42d270ca1e48a4739780829542e7.jpg

1938-DBuffalonickelrev..thumb.jpg.2f7578b69411ca8bdcf66b125f782ef2.jpg

NGC graded this 1938-D Buffalo nickel MS 66.

On 3/26/2024 at 11:43 PM, powermad5000 said:

However, I really cannot even entertain you with an opinion of grade or value from the photos provided. They are too far away for me to see what I need to see.

It might be helpful for you to put the coin on a table and then take the pics, make sure they are clear, and then fully crop them before posting them.

I got you a better pic. Based on my analysis… under my microscope there are but one to two noticeable scratches only. The rest of the coin is absolutely flawless. It may be close to MS 68

On 3/27/2024 at 12:39 AM, Mustacheman said:

I got you a better pic. Based on my analysis… under my microscope there are but one to two noticeable scratches only. The rest of the coin is absolutely flawless. It may be close to MS 68

I had a another closer look at the coin in that photo you sent and my coin… um… is that the mythical Three Legged Buffalo?

On 3/27/2024 at 12:47 AM, Mustacheman said:

I had a another closer look at the coin in that photo you sent and my coin… um… is that the mythical Three Legged Buffalo?

I’m kidding. Not even close. But if only

On 3/26/2024 at 11:57 PM, Sandon said:

The photos we would need to provide any opinion about the coin's likely grade range would look something like this:

1938-DBuffalonickelobv..thumb.jpg.be8e42d270ca1e48a4739780829542e7.jpg

1938-DBuffalonickelrev..thumb.jpg.2f7578b69411ca8bdcf66b125f782ef2.jpg

NGC graded this 1938-D Buffalo nickel MS 66.

After having a little more of my own investigation, I noticed that there is but just a couple of die malformations with both the Indian Head and the Buffalo. Coins in this time apparently could only be struck so well and it causes there to be mere images of what should actually appear on a Buffalo Nickel. So I wanna say now it might be an MS 67. Maybe. What do you think?

On 3/27/2024 at 1:15 AM, Mustacheman said:

After having a little more of my own investigation, I noticed that there is but just a couple of die malformations with both the Indian Head and the Buffalo. Coins in this time apparently could only be struck so well and it causes there to be mere images of what should actually appear on a Buffalo Nickel. So I wanna say now it might be an MS 67. Maybe. What do you think?

I am no nickel expert. I can say that your coin is nice but looks more like EF to AU than MS.

Edited by J P M

Fortunately, I can photo grade this coin for you. Let me begin by saying this is a photo grade based on APPARENT surface conditions and VISIBLE details. This is NOT a real grade. Grading can only be done properly and accurately with the coin IN HAND. I however can approximate the grade for you. Your coin has a fair luster and seemingly original surfaces. I do not see obvious signs of cleaning or any damage that may preclude a straight grade. The details of the design are well struck and have even minimal overall circulation wear. There are key areas of the coin which determine its grade which do show signs of circulation wear. These areas are. REV: The tail area and rear flank (hip), the head horn which both areas show signs of circulation wear. OBV: The center of head on hair which shows signs of circulation wear, the lower braided hair which also shows signs of circulation wear. I would photo grade your coin at AU 50. A higher grade may be obtained in hand but from what I see its low AU and has a value of $23.00- $28.00 graded. This is a slightly above average condition Buffalo Nickel but a very, very common coin of which many were struck. As a raw uncertified or ungraded coin its worth about $6.00-$10.00 to the right buyer. Cheers

On 3/27/2024 at 9:33 AM, Halbrook Family said:

Here is a MS65. I don't think it looks better then this one. 

s-l1600m.jpg

s-l960n.jpg

Lettering and overall texture is much more sharp on my coin than that one. The lettering in liberty on that coin is smushed compared to the letters in mine which is not.

On 3/26/2024 at 11:43 PM, powermad5000 said:

On 3/27/2024 at 10:17 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Fortunately, I can photo grade this coin for you. Let me begin by saying this is a photo grade based on APPARENT surface conditions and VISIBLE details. This is NOT a real grade. Grading can only be done properly and accurately with the coin IN HAND. I however can approximate the grade for you. Your coin has a fair luster and seemingly original surfaces. I do not see obvious signs of cleaning or any damage that may preclude a straight grade. The details of the design are well struck and have even minimal overall circulation wear. There are key areas of the coin which determine its grade which do show signs of circulation wear. These areas are. REV: The tail area and rear flank (hip), the head horn which both areas show signs of circulation wear. OBV: The center of head on hair which shows signs of circulation wear, the lower braided hair which also shows signs of circulation wear. I would photo grade your coin at AU 50. A higher grade may be obtained in hand but from what I see its low AU and has a value of $23.00- $28.00 graded. This is a slightly above average condition Buffalo Nickel but a very, very common coin of which many were struck. As a raw uncertified or ungraded coin its worth about $6.00-$10.00 to the right buyer. Cheers

On 3/27/2024 at 9:30 AM, J P M said:

I am no nickel expert. I can say that your coin is nice but looks more like EF to AU than MS.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 3/26/2024 at 11:39 PM, Mustacheman said:

No. Stop it.

On 3/27/2024 at 12:15 AM, Mustacheman said:

No. Stop it.

Looks XF, judging from the photos. If the lack of detail I see is from strike weakness or is just a figment of my imagination, and the coin is MS, I don't think it will grade above 64. I can see enough dings on the rims to keep it from going any higher. 

On 3/27/2024 at 1:41 PM, VKurtB said:

No. Stop it.

Alright Santa Claus I know you don’t have anything better to do than to type behind a keyboard but don’t pretend to be the smartest one in the room and because you know more than I do. If you have useful input I’d love to hear it. Otherwise shut up please. And don’t bother to post anything else in my threads if you continue to act like a child. 

On 3/27/2024 at 1:56 PM, Just Bob said:

Looks XF, judging from the photos. If the lack of detail I see is from strike weakness or is just a figment of my imagination, and the coin is MS, I don't think it will grade above 64. I can see enough dings on the rims to keep it from going any higher. 

I brought it to a coin shop earlier today. He looks like he has been doing it for a very long time. He estimated it to be a really nice AU grade. About 20 bucks tops. So nothing special as expected.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:39 PM, Mustacheman said:

It may be close to MS 68

On 3/27/2024 at 11:05 AM, Mustacheman said:

I brought it to a coin shop earlier today. He looks like he has been doing it for a very long time. He estimated it to be a really nice AU grade. About 20 bucks tops. So nothing special as expected.

Wow you were really close on this one, stellar grading on your part.   In your little love note you sent to me earlier you said you "pay attention to the fine details that most newer collectors will miss".   I guess it's the big details, like circulation wear vs uncirculated that you miss.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/27/2024 at 1:03 PM, Mustacheman said:

Alright Santa Claus I know you don’t have anything better to do than to type behind a keyboard but don’t pretend to be the smartest one in the room and because you know more than I do. If you have useful input I’d love to hear it. Otherwise shut up please. And don’t bother to post anything else in my threads if you continue to act like a child. 

Want useful input? Okay. Ignore websites. Get books. Take courses. Join the ANA. Not necessarily in that order. You are flailing, badly.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:05 PM, Mustacheman said:

I’ve been doing it for 61 years. I was grading coins waaaaaaay before there was an Internet to misinform me. You need to look at thousands of coins. NOT PICTURES OF COINS! Coins. In your hand. In proper light.

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/27/2024 at 2:31 PM, VKurtB said:

Want useful input? Okay. Ignore websites. Get books. Take courses. Join the ANA. Not necessarily in that order. You are flailing, badly.

Or how about I start investing in metals instead? cause coin collecting apparently isn’t even close to being lucrative… it’s ludicrous. Have fun looking at a whole lot of nothing for the remainder of your life. Hello gold and silver.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:54 PM, Mustacheman said:

Or how about I start investing in metals instead? cause coin collecting apparently isn’t even close to being lucrative… it’s ludicrous. Have fun looking at a whole lot of nothing for the remainder of your life. Hello gold and silver.

Sure. Or uranium. Place it under your pillow to store it. The incredibly huge majority of people who play with precious metals get their behinds kicked. Anyone who gets into coins for “lucrative” reasons is a foole. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/27/2024 at 3:10 PM, VKurtB said:

Sure. Or uranium. Place it under your pillow to store it. The incredibly huge majority of people who play with precious metals get their behinds kicked. Anyone who gets into coins for “lucrative” reasons is a foole. 

ShOUld I MaKE a URANIUM laced blanket too while I’m at it? 😭😂😂