• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2003 - D Arkansas State Quarter with baby ducks?!
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys. This may sound dumb but just a question… are there usually baby ducks under the duck in an Arkansas State Quarter or is that just me? I looked at a few quarters from the PCGS and none seem to have it like this but it could be my eyes not seeing it due to quality 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I see no "baby ducks" below the flying duck either on your photos or on an Arkansas quarter I examined under a 10x loupe.  What you're likely seeing is an optical illusion, such as when one sees the shapes of angels or dragons in clouds.

On 3/26/2024 at 1:16 AM, Sandon said:

I see no "baby ducks" below the flying duck either on your photos or on an Arkansas quarter I examined under a 10x loupe.  What you're likely seeing is an optical illusion, such as when one sees the shapes of angels or dragons in clouds.

That’s weird… but they look like baby ducks. It doesn’t appear like an optical illusion. I can see it with a naked eye from a distance. 

On 3/26/2024 at 1:16 AM, Sandon said:

82F8A616-E637-4F2C-8113-8C3AA274C102.jpeg

On 3/26/2024 at 1:27 AM, Mustacheman said:

That is a whole baby duck. There is no way no one can’t see what I’m seeing rn. 

Alright, alright... we see it.

There are no ducklings and that is a lake not "duck sauce." Please duck away from that magnifier - it is goosing your brain.

duck.thumb.jpg.21d223f130072043a20e66a18cab32d6.jpg

On 3/26/2024 at 11:54 AM, RWB said:

There are no ducklings and that is a lake not "duck sauce." Please duck away from that magnifier - it is goosing your brain.

duck.thumb.jpg.21d223f130072043a20e66a18cab32d6.jpg

No amount of quips will make me think you do not see the literal shape that you are quite literally staring at. If you would read between the lines instead of just seeing normal water then maybe you can match the eyes, the bill and the head of a literal duck that is looking at you. How on earth are you that blind? You need new glasses or something old man? My God 😂😂

On 3/26/2024 at 2:44 PM, Mustacheman said:

No amount of quips will make me think you do not see the literal shape that you are quite literally staring at. If you would read between the lines instead of just seeing normal water then maybe you can match the eyes, the bill and the head of a literal duck that is looking at you. How on earth are you that blind? You need new glasses or something old man? My God 😂😂

Do you see a "man in the moon" or a "rabbit?" Humans naturally imagine familiar shapes and symbols in random spots and structures. It's called "pareidolia."

Pareidolia -- the tendency to perceive a specific, often meaningful image in a random or ambiguous visual pattern. The scientific explanation for some people is pareidolia, or the human ability to see shapes or make pictures out of randomness. Think of the Rorschach inkblot test.

I do not see anything different from a normal 2003 D Arkansas Statehood Quarter. I shall provide you with the obligatory warning I have had to issue to a handful of others who bought a scope and went crazy with the thing.

It is best to put the scope down. While it may be handy for assessing minor varieties in question, it should not be used in any other instance. TPG's don't use it. Most serious collectors don't use it (once again unless it is to try to determine a minor variety). A scope can turn the tiniest die chip into a mountain, or the tiniest scratch into the Grand Canyon.

Compare your quarter to one of the same year and mintmark. I am sure there is no difference.

On 3/25/2024 at 9:15 PM, Mustacheman said:

Hey guys. This may sound dumb but just a question… 

Well you got one thing correct.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:51 PM, powermad5000 said:

I do not see anything different from a normal 2003 D Arkansas Statehood Quarter. I shall provide you with the obligatory warning I have had to issue to a handful of others who bought a scope and went crazy with the thing.

It is best to put the scope down. While it may be handy for assessing minor varieties in question, it should not be used in any other instance. TPG's don't use it. Most serious collectors don't use it (once again unless it is to try to determine a minor variety). A scope can turn the tiniest die chip into a mountain, or the tiniest scratch into the Grand Canyon.

Compare your quarter to one of the same year and mintmark. I am sure there is no difference.

There is quite a noticeable difference from both a naked eye and under a microscope. It looks intentional but I guess only getting it graded would tell the truth

Your scope is completely inadequate. It missed showing you the old school phone receiver that the ducklings are using to order pizza from abdullah or vasquez. You need a new scope…….

273583A9-8D83-4941-991C-C9DC08F2878D.jpeg

"If you would read between the lines instead of just seeing normal water then maybe you can match the eyes, the bill and the head of a literal duck that is looking at you. How on earth are you that blind? You need new glasses or something old man? My God "😂😂    Wait, wait this one is staring at me just like on your baby duck quarter! image.thumb.png.9f0fcc2cecbc835bebf9fa18958df1af.png

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 3/26/2024 at 11:41 PM, Mustacheman said:

There is quite a noticeable difference from both a naked eye and under a microscope. It looks intentional but I guess only getting it graded would tell the truth

That is not what grading is for.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:34 PM, VKurtB said:

I'll allow it.  He is in search of the Truth that Leads to Eternal Life.  :preach:

On 3/26/2024 at 11:41 PM, Mustacheman said:

It looks intentional but I guess only getting it graded would tell the truth

image.png.b2127c462cd7286ee2ce476c8614c15d.png

I see trees of green Red roses too
I see them bloom For me and you
And I think to myself  What a wonderful world
I see skies of blue And clouds of white
The bright blessed day The dark sacred night
The colors of the rainbow  So pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces Of people going by
I see friends shaking hands Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying I love you
I hear babies cry I watch them grow
They'll learn much more Than I'll ever know
Yes, I think to myself  What a wonderful world

Be careful with the "truth," few seem to handle it well, most simply can't accept it.
- (Brought to you by): That guy in that movie with the other guy about some dead guy on trial

Edited by cobymordet
So, is baby ducks on a submission form for NGC?

On 3/29/2024 at 9:12 AM, cobymordet said:

image.png.b2127c462cd7286ee2ce476c8614c15d.png

I see trees of green Red roses too
I see them bloom For me and you
I see skies of blue And clouds of white
The bright blessed day The dark sacred night
The colors of the rainbow  So pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces Of people going by
I see friends shaking hands Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying I love you
I hear babies cry I watch them grow
They'll learn much more Than I'll ever know
Yes, I think to myself  What a wonderful world

Be careful with the "truth," few seem to handle it well, most simply can't accept it.
- (Brought to you by): That guy in that movie with the other guy about some dead guy on trial

Thank you for adding this quarter to the forum. And… as I originally thought, not even close to what I’m seeing. 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:34 PM, VKurtB said:

Sir please do not be so specific about everything. Does getting it inspected by PCGS or NGC usually also involve having it go through the grading process? Yea it does. I understand you are an ALL KNOWING BEING. HE IS GOOOOOOOOOOD.

No not even close. Shush.  I have the form right here in front of me. Don’t.

On 3/29/2024 at 11:38 AM, Mustacheman said:

Thank you for adding this quarter to the forum. And… as I originally thought, not even close to what I’m seeing. 

Sir please do not be so specific about everything. Does getting it inspected by PCGS or NGC usually also involve having it go through the grading process? Yea it does. I understand you are an ALL KNOWING BEING. HE IS GOOOOOOOOOOD.

No not even close. Shush.  I have the form right here in front of me. Don’t.

No grading service will ever, EVER, E-V-E-R deal with attributing a novel variety.  Never have, never will. Varieties have to be recognized by accepted specialty guide books and EVEN THEN, many are refused attribution by grading firms. But hey, you’ve been here for NINE DAYS! How can I compete with that, having only been a numismatist for 61 years?

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/29/2024 at 12:43 PM, VKurtB said:

No grading service will ever, EVER, E-V-E-R deal with attributing a novel variety.  Never have, never will. Varieties have to be recognized by accepted specialty guide books and EVEN THEN, many are refused attribution by grading firms. But hey, you’ve been here for NINE DAYS! How can I compete with that, having only been a numismatist for 61 years?

Doesn’t take a genius. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:17 PM, Mustacheman said:

Doesn’t take a genius. 

As of yet, I have never sent a coin in to be graded/attributed.  Since you have reviewed and presumably filled out the form to submit a coin for grading/attribution, is there a line on the form regarding baby ducks?

On 3/29/2024 at 1:42 PM, LOCK34 said:

and a white tail deer hiding in the trees.

Nope --- that's clearly a one-eared leprechaun who is out there trapping marsupials. He cut off one ear to put in the marsupial trap. because he was out of marshmallows which, as we ALL KNOW, are favorites of marchupials.