• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 D Wheat penny mint mark error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, so here's another coin I have a question about, I read that there is an error on the mint mark on the 1957 D wheat penny. I read that the D mint mark was stamped three separate times creating a build up of the latter two marks, leaving the first stamping to show in the middle. Having not seen a photo of this error before on this coin I really can not tell if the coin I have has this mint error, or not. As you can see the coin has been taken care of and appears to be in pretty good condition, it's still in the thick clear plastic protective holder which might make distinguishing weather or not the D looks right or wrong. But if anyone would like to chime in on this topic that would be great, and very much appreciated.

Thanks1957DOverse.jpg.ef328e11dc236446d5390f4a8be35322.jpg   

Oh and there is defiantly something going on with the number one on the date as well. Don't know if that is a good thing or not, maybe some one out there knows, 

Thanks 

On 3/25/2024 at 4:54 PM, Green2 said:

Hi guys, so here's another coin I have a question about, I read that there is an error on the mint mark on the 1957 D wheat penny. I read that the D mint mark was stamped three separate times creating a build up of the latter two marks, leaving the first stamping to show in the middle. Having not seen a photo of this error before on this coin I really can not tell if the coin I have has this mint error, or not. As you can see the coin has been taken care of and appears to be in pretty good condition, it's still in the thick clear plastic protective holder which might make distinguishing weather or not the D looks right or wrong. But if anyone would like to chime in on this topic that would be great, and very much appreciated.

Thanks   

Photos taken with the coin inside many plastic holders and cardboard 2X2's like yours generally have too much glare to see anything as minor as many RPM's (repunched mint marks).   There are scores of RPM's for the many dates throughout the entire Lincoln coins series (as well as other coin series).   I suggest that you bookmark the site Variety Vista, here is a link to the home page.  VV home site   As you scroll down the home page you will see tabs for doubled dies and RPM's for most of the very commonly collected series.   For this coin click on the 09-58 RPM tab and you will see a list by date, select 57-D and you will see all the known RPM's for this date and mm.   Big tip, the most important RPM's will be listed at the top and with an FS number, if there is no FS number then it is considered as minor and there will not be much if any collector interest in it.  Spoiler alert, there are no FS attributed RPM's for 57-D; but there are a number of D/D/D RPM's and hopefully you can find a match.

The numeral one in the date looks to have taken a hit. it could also possibly be a minor strike through, but it's not possible for me to tell from the photo taken in the 2X2 due to the glare.

Rank amateur here.  :hi:

In the absence of an official coroner's finding, here's the take from my perspective...

All the numbers in the date appear to be "vibrating" suggesting machine doubling.

The numeral 1 in the date, is misshapen; both the top and bottom appear to be skewed right.

The leg of the numeral 7 in the date, appears to have been truncated.

Re the D... You "read" that the D mintmark was stamped three separate times?  If I may be so bold as to inquire, Where? 

On 3/25/2024 at 7:41 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Rank amateur here.  :hi:

Amateur only in the technical definition sense of the word. Rank? Not that we know of. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Amateur only in the technical definition sense of the word. Rank? Not that we know of. 

Thank you!   My uncle z would beg to differ.  :whatthe:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please note that a repunched mint mark ("RPM") is classified as a die variety, not a mint error. Before the early 1990s, mintmarks were hand punched into dies. If the punch moved between blows, the mintmark appeared repunched on the coins subsequently struck from the finished dies. I also can't see an RPM in your current photos and agree that the defect on the "1" may be either post-mint damage or a minor strikethrough. A strikethrough is a mint error but one this small probably wouldn't be worth a premium.

NGC VarietyPlus, which catalogs the die varieties that NGC is willing to attribute, lists a total of six RPM varieties for 1957-D Lincoln cents. Lincoln Cents, Wheat Reverse (1909-1958) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) Most RPMs don't create much market value, but they are fun to collect.

What makes any error or variety valuable is an excess of demand over supply. Put another way, if someone, hopefully MANY someones, are willing to fork over “currency of the realm” in order to obtain an error or variety coin, then it will have value. But that is NOT what is happening in the VAST majority of cases. We have seemingly gazillions of roll searchers out there occasionally unearthing a truffle (not unlike the metaphorical blind pig), and their precious find is greeted with either a lengthy yawn or an excessively polite, “gee, that’s neat”. But unless people are peeling off greenbacks to buy these precious little nuggets, it’s never going to be worth the time and resources used for the hunt.