• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver toned 2001 d penny
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I have a 2001d  silver toned penny I would like to know if it is an error coin... First off odviously the tone is wrong 2nd it is slightly bigger than the other 2001 d Penny's. (approximately 1mm larger) The weight of it is the same (2.5g) and also it looks to me like it has been punched through as far as on obverse and reverse have both sides on them.

IMG_20240324_022853.jpg

IMG_20240324_022834.jpg

IMG_20240324_022844.jpg

It looks like environmental damage has tarnished the copper. If you look at copper lanterns and roofs, they all turn that color after a while. 

That is what is known as a Texas Cent, the larger size verifies that.

By placing it between two pieces of leather and pounding it which expands  
the zinc core, the copper plating breaks off leaving the zinc exposed.   
No extra value as it is considered damage but keep as a novelty if you like.

An example of another Texas Cent.

Texas Cent.jpg

Edited by Greenstang

While the photo without a secondary size reference in it to show the OP the difference in size, the first thought I had when the OP posted the side by side was a Texas cent. However, being this cent is only 1mm larger, it is either possible someone gave up on the hammering of making a Texas cent or the coin simply got run over on some smooth concrete and then circulated some more with the circulation wear eliminating any evidence of it being run over a few times in a parking lot.

Ok that all sounds reasonable.... So I must also assume nobody is seeing any lettering as far as the reverse of a dime on the obverse of this penny or on the reverse side of it the obverse side of a penny or Dime....  Those are pretty apparent..... And here's the view of the rim of it IMG_20240324_022849.thumb.jpg.33e5f5ae7d21c9076875168b800aa835.jpg

On 3/24/2024 at 3:41 PM, 5150Rogerr said:

Also on the obverse side right underneath the "T" in trust looks like the top of torch flame on reverse of dime...... 

Pareidola, you're seeing what you want to see, the coin is mutilated not some rare obscure thing.

I am not seeing this effect of a dime somehow struck onto the obverse and reverse of this enlarged cent.

What you are trying to describe is a struck Lincoln cent was also somehow struck with a set of clashed dime dies? Even if that were true by a mint employee's tomfoolery, the end result would still not appear as your cent does.

The rim on your cent looks the way it does because of whatever force was used which caused the cent to expand in size drove the edges of the rim out over what was the original rim struck in the collar.

If you look at coin even a mile away we can tell you this was PMD … you can clearly see “brush lines” on the coin someone used a stiff wire and brushed it across the coin leaving deep scratch lines on it all going the same direction therefore it’s a damage coin 

IMG_9606.jpeg

Edited by Jason Abshier