• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would grading cost for a 1943 s copper penny & a 1796 Liberty Draped Bust US Dollar?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Just wondering because id like to get these graded and see if there authentic, but i dont know how much i have to spend to get them graded. I know it ranges with the condition and value but dont know how much exactly it’ll cost. Can someone give me an estimate so i can save up haha, Sorry for the bother guys! Thanks Luis 😊👍

IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

How do we know they are counterfeits?? Well, here is the real thing below. Notice the color of your cent and the black marks coming through. Also notice the details on the cent are wrong. The Bust Dollar is totally wrong all around, color, details etc.. Plus they are both exceedingly rare coins and 99% claimed genuine are FAKE> Special NGC holder allows owner of 1943 copper cent rarities unique ...PCGS MS67

Edited by Mike Meenderink

I was looking at her breast (sorry ma’am!) ha ! I notice on one OP showing there no breast line even on badly worn one you’d see at least a breast line …. Unless on the fake coin it’s a dude wearing a wig ?

All joking aside ! not only that the stars don’t look right nor does the curls in his’s/her’s hair 

Edited by Jason Abshier

“How do you know its a fake my friend”

Years of experience and knowing what to look for.   
All you have to do is compare your coins to the original photos posted above.   
Not sure where you got them but do you really think that you have two coins,   
one worth 6 figures and the other worth 4 or 5?

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 11:34 AM, Greenstang said:

“How do you know its a fake my friend”

Years of experience and knowing what to look for.   
All you have to do is compare your coins to the original photos posted above.   
Not sure where you got them but do you really think that you have two coins,   
one worth 6 figures and the other worth 4 or 5?

Well im not an expert nor have i had any experience so I wouldn’t know what to look for or the differences between a real and fake thats why i came here to ask the people of this community. So…

Edited by TeenageMuntantNinjaTurtle6

There is a pronounced disconnect in reality here. You, Luis, are here only a few hours, so you would not be expected to know that if you owned genuine examples, you would not be concerned about grading fees. Still, I do not know if you were outright scammed, or what. If you acquired these coins, you would know their grades and worth and your only concern would be filling out a submission form correctly.  Surely you must know these coins are rare and valuable. It stands to reason then that you absolutely must have either been apprised of their respective conditions, or inquired of same, prior to purchase. Coins such as these are NEVER encountered raw with no identifying information. Now you have a big decision to make. Hang out with the teenage mutant folks, or get yourself a "Red Book" and get serious about coins

On 3/16/2024 at 12:44 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Before you send coins to third-party grading services such as NGC, it is essential that you have the knowledge and experience to approximately grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself, or at least have them examined by someone who does!  Otherwise, you will almost certainly waste a great deal of money. If you submitted these valued as genuine coins, it would cost you hundreds (or regarding the 1943-S cent, thousands) of dollars in grading and processing fees and shipping costs, and without knowing how to grade yourself, you would have no idea what value to place on them to begin with.  See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Grading services keep your money without regard to their findings.

Regarding the 1943-S cent, first hold a magnet to it. If the coin sticks to or is attracted by the magnet, it is one of the many tens of thousands of ordinary zinc-coated steel cents that has been copper plated for sale as a novelty or to deceive.  If it doesn't, there is a remote chance (like buying a winning multistate lottery ticket) that it is a genuine and extremely rare 1943-S cent struck on a leftover bronze planchet. I would then have the coin weighed on a properly calibrated, good quality digital scale, and if it weighs between 2.98 and 3.23 grams (official weight of 3.11 grams, plus or minus 0.13 gram legal tolerance), so inform us, and I will recommend the next steps you might take. Please note that we have received a number of claims of discoveries of 1943 bronze cents on this forum, none of which has so far turned out to be true.

Your purported 1796 Draped Bust, small date and Letters silver dollar is undoubtedly a counterfeit, likely one of those mass produced in China over the past twenty or so years.  It has the odd color and weak details of one of these counterfeits, as well as short dentils with a raised rim indicating that it was struck in a "close collar", which wasn't used at the U.S. Mint in 1796.  Just looking at the reverse lettering, its positioning doesn't match any of the known die varieties of these coins, the BB-62, 63, or 66, all of which used the same reverse die. (There are likely to be other details on both sides that don't match genuine coins.) Here are NGC photos of a genuine BB-63:

818327-1.jpg

818327-2.jpg

@Mike Meenderink --The 1796 dated coin whose photo you posted is that of a quarter dollar, not a silver dollar.  I'm also not sure how the photo of genuine 1943 and 1943-S bronze cents in a holder is instructive to the topic author as to why his coin is unlikely to be genuine.   

Very informative when i get the 1943 s penny i will do the magnetic test and i will buy a good quality digital scale to see if i have that rare penny. I will either repost something or post on this same forum the results of what i have. and thank you for the welcoming 😊❤️🥺

The cent is not deceptive, but can be more difficult for a novice to detect. Compare the photo to a real zinc coated steel 1943-S. Notice that all details on the  "bronze" fake are soft, kind-of "mushy," and rather bloated looking. (Like classmates at a High School reunion...) On the reverse, the lack of detail is more noticeable, especially on the left wheat stalk and the O in one and P in the motto.

Edited by RWB

On 3/16/2024 at 1:21 PM, TeenageMuntantNinjaTurtle6 said:

Very informative when i get the 1943 s penny i will do the....

Whoa Nelly!

"when I get..."???  So they are neither in your physical nor constructive possession?  Is this bric-a-brac in transit???  That changes everything!

The members who have weighed in, most regrettably, know what they are talking about. The verdict has been rendered. No further examination is required. (Here's a dead giveaway: forget, color, size of font, etc. YOUR BIGGEST CLUE AS TO AUTHENTICITY IS WHAT WERE THE ACTUAL RETAIL PRICES?)  What is exceedingly more important now is whether the seller has a Return Policy, and if so, how much time you have been afforded to return the items.  Unless you acquired this item from a reputable firm with name recognition, stellar reviews and an enviable track record, that ought to be your primary focus. With a price in hand, all that other stuff about magnets and misshapen denticles is superfluous. Our collective concern ought to be how you can be made whole again. Keep us posted.  

On 3/16/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sandon said:

@Mike Meenderink --The 1796 dated coin whose photo you posted is that of a quarter dollar, not a silver dollar.  I'm also not sure how the photo of genuine 1943 and 1943-S bronze cents in a holder is instructive to the topic author as to why his coin is unlikely to be genuine.   

oops

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Seeing that you posted only 11 hours ago (I get that this can be an eternity for someone with money burning a hole in their pocket that they just have to spend) your intent to acquire these pieces (at least the 1943 S cent), hopefully you did not yet complete the transaction to purchase these pieces. Most likely anything you are reading on the description of these "ultra rare" coins is false information. The internet is full of a lot of it.

May I inquire as to where or whom you intend to purchase these from? Is it online? Is it a guy in a parking lot? Would it be on Temu?

I would fully put the brakes on these purchases and you are fortunate to have come to the right place to inquire before you buy.

Edited by powermad5000

On 3/16/2024 at 11:40 AM, TeenageMuntantNinjaTurtle6 said:

Well im not an expert nor have i had any experience so I wouldn’t know what to look for or the differences between a real and fake thats why i came here to ask the people of this community. So…

You came to the right place.  Don't be embarassed...we see lots of people with coins they THINK are valuable and turn out to be legit but worth alot less OR are counterfeit.

If you do have an interest in starting a collection or adding to an existing one, we're here to help ! (thumbsu

🐓  :  An awful lot of cringe-worthy lines posted on this thread.  I mean, how do come back from: ".... do you really think that you have two coins, one worth 6 figures and the other worth 4 or 5?" Positively Devastating!

Q.A.:  Not to mention that cold shot: "and can quit my job watching the self-checkout...."  As Arsenio used to say, things that make you go hmmm."  Or how about this one from the OP himself:  "Very informative. When I get the 1943s penny I will do the magnetic test and...buy a...good quality digital scale..."  No Luis, NO!!! It's too late then!  The train already left the station!!!  Any due diligence must be exercised before commitment.  After? AFTER WHAT???  There is no "after," only GAME OVER.

Your fanciful query straddles the line between plausible... and implausible.  Credible... and incredible. Now, I want you to pick up your well-worn copy of the Red Book and tell us what you've got and we'll advise you, accordingly. I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend how you were able to determine whether the seller's prices for these major acquisitions was reasonable with a veritable paucity of information to rely on.  One more thing... stay off the internet until we can hook you up with a chaperone well versed in numismatic tchotchke.  🤣