• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 p steel cent ddo/ddr
1 1

23 posts in this topic

1. The L is on the rim an looks like a rim error top of obverse. Would you submit this coin for grading to NGC? If yes, what is the real potential value, because I've seen several different values and it can be confusing. Thank you for your feed backIMG_20240305_1223152.thumb.jpg.1314e28ce2b87745db0326ce265dcfde.jpgIMG_20240305_1224232.thumb.jpg.d9a0e83dfa2017ac45ad242b69f9d1e7.jpg

That is not an error on the L, they are all like that.   
Also as mentioned, the cent looks plated which would make the value 1 cent.

If that's truly the case, I don't see how it was platted, I got it out of a tin box that I bought from an elderly woman that was full of pennies. This coin an several others in that box were wrapped in a paper towel an sealed in a zip lock bag. The lady didn't plate it for sure and I'll be nice, I darn sure didn't plate it. Your reply has no depth an offers nothing that would lead me in the right direction. You tried, thank you

The auction record is 218,500.00 for a coin like this, why is mine worth only 1 cent. I've had this coin for several months, I'm still green an was very green when I cleaned this coin not fully aware that cleaning a coin is a big no no. Maybe that's why you think it looks played? I don't know

As you probably know, these coins were minted on planchets that were made of zinc- coated steel. Zinc and steel both oxidize in an unsightly manner, especially after having been in circulation. Many thousands of these coins were stripped of their zinc coating and replated by aftermarketers to make them appear shiny. Their feeling was that this would make the coins easier to sell to the general public. They were often sold in three coins sets, one from each mint. They were often found in souvenir shops and mail order catalogs. The reprocessing of these coins removes any numismatic value they may have. That's why you were told your coin is only worth face value. Your coin was likely plated several years before the elderly woman obtained it.

There is an easy way to tell if your coin has been plated. Look at the edge. If it's smooth like the surface of the coin, it has been plated. if there is a dull look too it, it's original, but has obviously been polished. Either way, its numismatic value has been removed. It's only worth one cent.

It might not be a bad idea to do a bit of research on these before you reject advice from knowledgeable collectors.

Edited by Just Bob

On 3/11/2024 at 5:33 AM, double ddo said:

If that's truly the case, I don't see how it was platted, I got it out of a tin box that I bought from an elderly woman that was full of pennies. This coin an several others in that box were wrapped in a paper towel an sealed in a zip lock bag. The lady didn't plate it for sure and I'll be nice, I darn sure didn't plate it. Your reply has no depth an offers nothing that would lead me in the right direction. You tried, thank you

It's certainly plated. As for the rest of what you say here, it doesn't even demonstrate notable critical thinking efforts. I can think of no reason anyone would bother to lead you in the right direction after that.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:44 AM, double ddo said:

The auction record is 218,500.00 for a coin like this, why is mine worth only 1 cent. I've had this coin for several months, I'm still green an was very green when I cleaned this coin not fully aware that cleaning a coin is a big no no. Maybe that's why you think it looks played? I don't know

The coin you are referring to that sold for 200K+ is a very particular coin.  Can you provide more detailed information on that coin you referred to? Who, what, when, where, and most importantly why.  Chances are, I imagine, it is a 1943 wheat penny produced on a copper planchet.  Your coin is not that.  For any coin to sell at 6 figures, you can be most assured you are not likely to acquire an identical specimen from Granny's tin.  The reason you may be confused on the varying prices is because you aren't familiar enough with the basics of coin identification.  Stay away from internet click bait videos, online selling sites that start with the letter "E", and spend a bit more time reading and educating yourself about coins.  Lastly, it is better not to denigrate those that are simply informing you of the truth.  Assistance with your future inquiries will always depend on your current interactions.  The information/assistance you receive on this forum, will be honest and accurate.  Truth does hurt when one is resistant to reality.  

On 3/11/2024 at 7:33 AM, double ddo said:

Your reply has no depth an offers nothing that would lead me in the right direction. You tried, thank you

Open your mind. The coin was plated at some point over the last 80 years. You have been told the truth. Learn from it.

“The lady didn't plate it for sure and I'll be nice, I darn sure didn't plate it. Your reply has no depth an offers nothing that would lead me in the right direction.”

It also happens to be the truth. 

Your 1943 steel cent exhibits no mint error and has been plated outside the mint to make it look like an uncirculated coin whose zinc coating hasn't darkened.  Countless thousands of such pieces were sold cheaply as "reprocessed" decades ago. The original surface would be frosty, not shiny like this coin. (The edge of a coin that hasn't been plated should be dull, not shiny, as the edges weren't zinc coated, and if the edge of yours is as shiny as the rest of it, that would be another indication that it has been plated.)  If you submit this coin to NGC, it will be returned in a flip with a tag stating "NOT ENCAPSULATED--ALTERED SURFACE and no grade, but NGC will keep your money.

Here are photos of a 1943 steel cent that PCGS graded MS 65. Its surfaces are bright and frosty, but not shiny:

1943centobv..jpg.5f736597febe214d063a4dc6c33f6313.jpg

1943centrev..jpg.ee959e21027b2e46731b1a9a81606c22.jpg

On 3/10/2024 at 11:49 PM, double ddo said:
  1. The L is on the rim an looks like a rim error top of obverse. Would you submit this coin for grading to NGC? If yes, what is the real potential value, because I've seen several different values and it can be confusing. Thank you for your feed back

If you decide to waste your money on submitting your coin please do come back and let us know how you feel about the depth of knowledge you have already received from the members here when you get your results.   In case it's not clear to you, I also see a reprocessed (plated) coin.

Your cent posted here has been plated and would not be graded by NGC even if it were submitted. NGC will not grade coins that have been plated. The plating has permanently changed the surface of the cent and it cannot be reversed. Collectors view this as damage.

Many of these steel cents were plated by coin companies in an effort to try to boost their sales, as well as many were plated in high school classroom experiments.

You can quote Top Pop sales figures all day long, but it does not change the fact that you have a damaged cent.

So let me get the thought process right here. You look up the value of the finest known specimen of a coin, then look at yours, and think, “oh yeah, mine is AT LEAST that good”. Oh boy, do you have a lot of disappointment ahead of you. Someday I’d like someone to explain that thought process to me. I’ll buy the adult beverages. 

BTW, it is snowin’ like a sumbeyatch in Colorado Springs. We are expecting FEET of the stuff. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/14/2024 at 6:44 AM, VKurtB said:

So let me get the thought process right here. You look up the value of the finest known specimen of a coin, then look at yours, and think, “oh yeah, mine is AT LEAST that good”. Oh boy, do you have a lot of disappointment ahead of you. Someday I’d like someone to explain that thought process to me. I’ll buy the adult beverages. 

BTW, it is snowin’ like a sumbeyatch in Colorado Springs. We are expecting FEET of the stuff. 

You on the road again? Working the show?

On 3/14/2024 at 8:23 AM, J P M said:

You on the road again? Working the show?

Sí señor. But I am no longer a National Volunteer for the ANA. I hissed off the Exec. Dir. by not sufficiently osculating the gluteals of marginally talented staff. We’ll see which happens first -she is replaced, or I die. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/14/2024 at 11:15 AM, VKurtB said:

Sí señor. But I am no longer a National Volunteer for the ANA. I hissed off the Exec. Dir. by not sufficiently osculating the gluteals of marginally talented staff.

It is their loss.

We have all ruffled someone's feathers at some point. I agree with @J P M. The end result is a loss on their end.

Snow there, and a possibility of severe weather here today. We surely are in spring now.

Adult beverages sounds great today! :grin:

Edited by powermad5000

On 3/14/2024 at 5:20 PM, powermad5000 said:

We have all ruffled someone's feathers at some point. I agree with @J P M. The end result is a loss on their end.

Snow there, and a possibility of severe weather here today. We surely are in spring now.

Adult beverages sounds great today! :grin:

I am on the road also; it was 74 today in Pensacola and when I get to Sarasota tomorrow it should be around 80. Now that is more like Spring. 

The matter winds up in court...

ASIGNED COUNSEL:  Good morning, your honor. May it please the court.  My client has been less than forthcoming with me as to the origin of the coin which he claims ingenuously to be an original 1943 "copper" depite nine compelling appraisals submitted by a number of acknowledged experts in the field of numismatics, persuasively contesting his claim. I respectfully prevail upon the Court to relieve me from further representation of my client, forthwith.

THE COURT:  Granted. The matter is adjouned until such time as defendant secures new counsel. SO ORDERED.

Bailiff, call the next case.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing.