• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln "cracked skull"
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I found this interesting 1994 Lincoln in almost perfect condition. It has what I think is a die crack in his head. It starts at his collar and goes to the top of his head. Just would like the Pro's thoughts. I know it's difficult through pictures, but what do you think the grade may be on the coin.  Thanks

WIN_20240226_21_05_27_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240226_21_29_35_Pro.jpg

20240226_205638.jpg

20240226_210039.jpg

The recesses of Lincoln's head are an area of high die stress, and cents with "cracked skulls" and the like are a frequent occurrence on pieces of most eras.  If you find them interesting, feel free to collect them. Just don't act under the impression that they are some sort of rarity or have significant market value.  This coin also appears to have a die crack running from the center of the truncation of Lincoln's bust to the rim, so this coin was apparently struck from a well-used obverse die.

The coin appears to be uncirculated ("mint state") and full red, but if you're looking for an opinion as to what numerical grade a third-party grading service would give it, I wouldn't guess. I would really need to see the coin in hand at different lighting angles and magnifications and even then could only provide a range of three or so grades.  It's almost certainly not worth submitting to a grading service (at NGC $19 grading fee alone), nor is it likely that NGC would classify the die cracks as a "mint error" (additional $18 fee whether it were so designated or not). 

I will state that minor die cracks are not recognized as errors by TPG's and are considered poor quality control as the die that produced coins showing the crack should have long been changed out before cracking from the number and pressure of multiple strikes. TPG's won't attribute die cracks as an error unless the die has literally shattered which would produce some very strange effects on the struck coin.

That said, the lighting of the coin in your photos is too dark to be able to attempt to successfully give an opinion of the grade of your coin, but from what I can tell, I see contact marks in Lincoln's bust, some minor hits to the rims, and it seems the center pillars on the memorial are slightly worn. I would say this would grade out no higher than MS 64 RD, and most likely with better lighting probably exposing more flaws, even lower than that. Cents of this era are not worth submitting until they grade at bare minimum MS 67 RD, and even at that level will not gain much premium and grading would still most likey result in a loss of funds or at best a break even. Only at MS 68 RD do these cents gain substantial premiums.

I would say if you find this interesting to keep it and put it in a flip and into a box labelled "die cracks".