• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold toned penny
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I have a 1921 wheat penny that is gold toned but I know that it's not gold. It doesn't look like it was plated under the microscope. What could cause it to look this way. Environmental? Different metal mix in planchet? 

Hello and welcome, unfortunately it is necessary to provide clear and cropped photos of front and back of the coin in question.   You may need to reduce the image file, you       only get 5mb per upload.  Although I am unable to see your coin, I can tell you that I once found a silver colored 1953 wheat cent in a roll.  People are strange and have a habit of doing strange things to coins in order to dupe unaware/uninformed individuals.  Most likely it is painted.  Get the pics uploaded and members will be able to better assess the coin for you. 

This well-worn coin was likely "cleaned", although the streaky color could have resulted from an improper mixture of the bronze alloy as sometimes happened during that period but as I recall is most frequently seen on "S" mint cents. Some refer to them as having "woodgrain toning" or as "woodies".  Speaking personally, I don't find this coloration very interesting even if natural. To my knowledge, it does not command a premium.

Old copper can tone many shades of red, from dark brick red to a bright brassy look.   Your coin does not look cleaned to me, tho not impossible, it simply looks like the planchet had improper mixture which often resulted in this woodgrain look.   Here are some in my collection to illustrate the wide variation in color that is possible including one that also has some of the woodgrain streaky look.   All of these are original, all are very different from the others, and two are CAC approvied.

1920ccomp2.jpg

1920Dccomp.jpg

1921ccomp.jpg

1937Sccomp.jpg

I think your cent was cleaned at some point and then circulated some after, or was just cleaned and then stored improperly. I also note on the reverse what appears to me to be environmental damage which I also think I see starting on the left side of Lincoln's bust evidenced by the more blackened area on that side. I don't think your coin has what is known as "woodgrain" toning, but I think what I am seeing is environmental damage in different stages on each side of the coin, maybe due to the way the coin was stored and it looks like maybe the reverse was facing up as that side of the coin seems to have suffered more of this damage than the obverse.