• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Addition/Upgrade

22 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2024 at 4:06 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

According to PCGS coin facts, more than I thought 

IMG_8302.jpeg

That's not correct. It's with 5FS. Also I'm looking for a ballpark wholesale value or offer that would be fair if sold to a dealer not retail. Which would be much less to the value price listed (thumbsu

I was thinking an offer of $350-$450 would be fair but I could be completely wrong. So I wanted opinions.

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
added

The most recent auction sale for an NGC 5FS was last year and it hammered at $240.   There are currently 2 NGC 5FS examples on collector corner by two separate dealers each asking $395.   I don't have access to a bluesheet, but from the data I can see my guess is that most dealers might be offering around $225, perhaps up to $250 if the dealer has a way to flip it quickly.   It really comes down to what kind of clients each dealer has access to and how quickly he/she might be able to move the coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

The most recent auction sale for an NGC 5FS was last year and it hammered at $240.   There are currently 2 NGC 5FS examples on collector corner by two separate dealers each asking $395.   I don't have access to a bluesheet, but from the data I can see my guess is that most dealers might be offering around $225, perhaps up to $250 if the dealer has a way to flip it quickly.   It really comes down to what kind of clients each dealer has access to and how quickly he/she might be able to move the coin.

Thank you that was helpful. Not planning on it for now. I added it to my nickel collection. I know in the future I would be better off finding a buying myself then. 

On 2/21/2024 at 5:32 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

That's not correct. It's with 5FS.

That is the only CoinFacts option for a 5FS coin, as it's not PCGS FS or NGC 6FS.  Around $200 retail seems consistent with recent GC and eBay sales in the range of $110 to $300 for a 1950-D 5C MS67 5FS coin.  I find Collectors Corners prices to be very high retail, and you can ask for the moon so I don't go by asking prices.

Also the 5FS coins used to go for more, so you may be looking at old pricing like that found in NGC Guide Prices.  Figure wholesale at about 75% to 80% retail, if say sold on eBay or consigned to GC or HA.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, Greenstang said:

A dealer would normally give you 50-60% of retail value.

Thanks that's helpful if accurate. I myself don't do any business with a dealer or dealers yet.

Just wanted to educate myself if I ever go to one. Is that from experience?  

On 2/21/2024 at 5:01 PM, EagleRJO said:

Figure wholesale at about 75% to 80% retail.

Thank you! Yes I looked at way back and current and it is all over the place. Including current offers.

I appreciate your input everything helps! Are those percentages from experience?

On 2/21/2024 at 6:05 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

way back and current and it is all over the place

Forget older pricing, like that found in NGC Guide Prices, as the 5FS ones just are not realizing that any more.  I always look up recent auction prices on both eBay and GC.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:01 PM, EagleRJO said:

That is the only CoinFacts option for a 5FS coin, as it's not PCGS FS or NGC 6FS.  Around $200 retail seems consistent with recent GC and eBay sales in the range of $110 to $300 for a 1950-D 5C MS67 5FS coin.  I find Collectors Corners prices to be very high retail, and you can ask for the moon so I don't go by asking prices.

Also the 5FS coins used to go for more, so you may be looking at old pricing like that found in NGC Guide Prices.  Figure wholesale at about 75% to 80% retail, if say sold on eBay or consigned to GC or HA.

The problem is that what Bill posted is not for 5FS coins, that chart is for non FS coins.

Be careful about buying these otherwise common date certified coins with high numerical grades and very high list values! Prices realized at auction for these coins may vary widely and may decline as the popularity of certain series or issues wane or as their certified populations in these high grades increase. Both PCGS and NGC have records of sales by major numismatic auction houses on their websites. NGC's listing for 1950-D nickels is at 1950 D 5C MS | Coin Auction Prices | NGC (ngccoin.com).  It is difficult to estimate the resale value for a coin like this at any given time, unlike a coin in a more typical mint state grade, unless there have been a number of recent auction sales at around the same price level.

Note also that while NGC classifies "full steps" Jefferson nickels as either five full steps (5FS) or six full steps (6FS), PCGS classifies both groups together as "FS".  Some of the higher prices seen for PCGS "FS" coins may be for coins that were judged by buyers to have six full steps.

Very nice coin. MS67 can be the high ball in nickels most of the time they are a bit too high for my pocket but as the others have said, It depends on the buyer. 

On 2/21/2024 at 6:53 PM, Sandon said:

....  It is difficult to estimate the resale value for a coin like this at any given time,

unlike a coin in a more typical mint state grade, unless there have been a number of recent auction sales at around the same price level.

The upper portion of this comment, to me, is key and brutally honest.  Some of us have been in and around the hobby long enough to have seen prices of even desirable coins plateau and lie dormant for extended periods of time.  Anything more specific, particularly as to future performance, would be borderline irresponsible.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:02 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Thanks that's helpful if accurate. I myself don't do any business with a dealer or dealers yet.

Just wanted to educate myself if I ever go to one. Is that from experience?

Yes. Experience. Trying to sell to a dealer is, well, like being bent over and you know what next. Many of them are "dry", don't look at you as a customer or potential future customer, pull out their greysheet, and some will even shave some off that price and tell you they will give you $50 for your $200 coin.

I, myself, try to not deal with them when it comes to selling. When it comes to selling, it seems like everything is a "loss". Even the bigger auction houses want their cut. Sites like eBay are going to take their fees from you. Consignment takes pretty much 30%+ right off the bat. Pawn shops, and local coin shops are just as bad as dealing with the greysheet.

To me, the only way to come close to selling for FMV is private cash sales such as between members of a coin club for instance.

On 2/22/2024 at 7:30 PM, powermad5000 said:

Yes. Experience. Trying to sell to a dealer is, well, like being bent over and you know what next. Many of them are "dry", don't look at you as a customer or potential future customer, pull out their greysheet, and some will even shave some off that price and tell you they will give you $50 for your $200 coin.

I, myself, try to not deal with them when it comes to selling. When it comes to selling, it seems like everything is a "loss". Even the bigger auction houses want their cut. Sites like eBay are going to take their fees from you. Consignment takes pretty much 30%+ right off the bat. Pawn shops, and local coin shops are just as bad as dealing with the greysheet.

To me, the only way to come close to selling for FMV is private cash sales such as between members of a coin club for instance.

Ain't that the truth!  When my brother died, he left a lot of jewelry behind. Neither my sister or I are the jewelry-wearing type.  I went into a place -- same block as Stack's old location, attempted to sell the items piecemeal the way one would expect things to be done, and was told, time being money, to deposit everything in a tray. When I balked, the buyer literally persuaded me not to leave by grabbing my wrist.  I had a lot of flashy items, gold, silver, some gem stones and expected they would be examined, weighed, etc. He quoted me a price which I instinctually knew was low-balling me, but what could I do? Not nice to say, perhaps, but the entire Midtown district (Manhattan) was one giant shark-infested pool. I had no ballpark figure. What do I know about baubles except that they were nice and valuable. If one doesn't bite, all the others will. When the gentleman grabbed me by the wrist, firmly, I knew the jig was up. I did not have the time or inclination to become educated.  My only thought was take the offer, round up, and get out. True story.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:39 PM, VKurtB said:

“Plateau” if you’re lucky. Some coins decline markedly. When fairly commonly hoarded in BU rolls coins like 1950-D nickels start getting into plastic, the pops can explode pretty quickly, and the prices collapse. 

I took this into consideration before and with other pieces and I agree with you 100%. 

On 2/22/2024 at 6:30 PM, powermad5000 said:

I have thought about private sales in the future seems like a more level playing field. Just takes more time and effort.

If I do take anything to someone I would just like to see how the game plays out and see what they say I'm not desperate, emotional or in a rush..no blood in the water.

Actually sounds kind of fun just would be better if a fair deal was made. For both parties. It would be a good experience although maybe not a pleasant one lol

Hopefully I have done well on comps. Worse case scenario is I will just have my coin that I like. Hopefully one day it doesn't tank.

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
added

On 2/25/2024 at 9:21 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I took this into consideration before and with other pieces and I agree with you 100%. 

With the gaudy grade of your piece, the risk is low enough. It will remain desirable.