• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1997 quarter defect

26 posts in this topic

Looks like another coin was pressed into this quarter. The coin itself is in good condition,  no major dings 

If you notice in the pictures, you can still see the word God and most of the word trust.it also shows his mouth and nose with no damage. What are your thoughts on this- thank you 

20240220_193038.jpg

20240220_194611.jpg

20240220_193204.jpg

20240220_192941.jpg

Your quarter is a beat-up damaged coin.

RE: "The coin itself is in good condition, no major dings." The coin is peppered with dings scratches and abrasion. Consider revising your idea of "good condition."

On 2/20/2024 at 7:29 PM, RWB said:

Your quarter is a beat-up damaged coin.

RE: "The coin itself is in good condition, no major dings." The coin is peppered with dings scratches and abrasion. Consider revising your idea of "good condition."

Agree with Roger here. In NO KNOWN UNIVERSE is the OP’s coin anything but a raging dumpster fire. 

I'm sorry if the previous replies appear harsh to you. 

The obverse impression on the coin you posted does not resemble that of any other coin and does not appear to have been created during the manufacturing process. Someone may have taken a metal stamp or other hard object and impressed it into the coin by beating it with a hammer or squeezing it in a vise.  I see some swelling on the reverse portion of the eagle's right (facing) wing opposite the impression from the pressure, which would not occur if the impression had been created while that side was seated on the reverse die. Although it is possible for a struck coin to be struck multiple times (see https://www.error-ref.com/?s=multiple+strikes) or struck over another struck coin or planchet in the press (see, for, example, https://www.error-ref.com/?s=external+disc+impression), such pieces look nothing like the coin you posted.

Apart from the impression, your coin does in fact have numerous nicks, scratches, and abrasions that would result in its being classified as damaged in any case. Please refer to the resources on grading to which I referred you in replying to one of your previous topics.

Yeah- they do sound harsh to me! I get that y'all know WAY more than me, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. I did look at the links you provided in one of  my previous post- so thank you, they are helpful! But "no known universe " and  "Revise your idea of good condition "  are just demeaning comments that aren't necessary! Like I said, im new to this- which is why I posted it in the Newbie  chat, hoping for " no, that's just damage"  because that would've been sufficient! 

On 2/21/2024 at 7:48 AM, Cams said:

Yeah- they do sound harsh to me! I get that y'all know WAY more than me, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. I did look at the links you provided in one of  my previous post- so thank you, they are helpful! But "no known universe " and  "Revise your idea of good condition "  are just demeaning comments that aren't necessary! Like I said, im new to this- which is why I posted it in the Newbie  chat, hoping for " no, that's just damage"  because that would've been sufficient! 

Hi Cam , It looks like someone tried to make it look like an error. Not imposable but, it would be hard for a coin to get turned on edge in the coin press. Is the impression raised or incuse? 

It's incase but is raised around the outside. The lighting isn't good on my pics and I'm trying to figure out how to get the pics off my microscope on to my phone to show it better- but I understand it's just damage- just didn't understand why the letters were still intact- wouldn't they be very flattened?

20240221_105606.jpg

On 2/21/2024 at 11:04 AM, Cams said:

It's incase but is raised around the outside. The lighting isn't good on my pics and I'm trying to figure out how to get the pics off my microscope on to my phone to show it better- but I understand it's just damage- just didn't understand why the letters were still intact- wouldn't they be very flattened?

20240221_105606.jpg

Is it some kind of glue or epoxy on the surface of the coin? It looks like an old picture. 3/02/2021 

Edited by J P M

On 2/21/2024 at 6:48 AM, Cams said:

If you’re looking for someone who cares about your feeeeelings or your self esteem, you missed. I never have cared about that stuff and I never will. I’m a “boomer’s ultra-boomer”. We weren’t raised like that. 

Looks like someone has put a thick layer of clear glue on it and pressed the edge of another coin on it.   
That is why you can still see the IN GOD WE TRUST lettering through it. Try soaking in pure acetone
for about 24 hours and see if it comes off. This will not hurt the coin.   
Whatever the cause, It was done after the coin left the mint.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:48 AM, Cams said:

No one was trying to be "harsh." Members here will help in any way they can. They will also be honest with you, each in their own way. The comments are simply truthful based on the coin and your original statements. The damage is obvious on elementary comparison with other pocket change. You also made a judgement statement about the coin: "The coin itself is in good condition, no major dings," which indicates you had some sort of experience. The suggestion to "Revise your idea of good condition" is about as gentle as it comes without a long and possibly confusing conversation.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:49 PM, VKurtB said:

If you’re looking for someone who cares about your feeeeelings or your self esteem, you missed. I never have cared about that stuff and I never will. I’m a “boomer’s ultra-boomer”. We weren’t raised like that. 

Hey Kurt, I'm a boomer also, so no..you didn't hurt my feeeeelings! You're just being rude and to be honest,  it's just not necessary! If I could figure out how to delete my post I would, cuz im sorry I asked a  question in the newbie section...it won't happen again!  Have a good night 

THE FOLLOWING IS JUST A JOKE...

It really is too bad I lost my gig as Guest Moderator here.  On the Lighter Side, this appears to be a rarely encountered example of a chop-mark with a reeded edge. Trouble is, I do not believe I have ever seen a coin with widely-spaced reeds. Value? As an interesting oddity or curiosity only.  My take.  Good nite!  🤣

I was plumbing the depths of my memory, and managed to find the sociological term that a few members exhibit on the Forum:  "OVERLOAD."

It does not excuse the behavior or justify it. It only attempts to explain it.

You know you are in that mode when you are literally overwhelmed by a tsunami of miseducation and misinformation. And after you are exposed to it long enough -- everyone has his threshold -- you begin to feel you are repeating yourself after days, weeks, months and years, to no avail.  I cannot cast stones because I am guilty of doing the same thing. Malheureusement, (how I love that word!) the Forum is fast-moving and it takes time to acquaint yourself with all the different members, their perceived strengths and weaknesses. That is one unfortunate consequence of immersing yourself in social media.  I may find myself being impatient and testy during the day, but less stressed in the wee hours of the morning. All I can do is try to be better.  (I still feel I have experienced more expulsions and even deportations to Siberia than any other member and I regard myself as an old hand at moderation.) As the website coordinator once put it, "Be Nice, or Be Gone." On reflection, I apologize to anyone I may have been abrupt with, or offended, in the past five years.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:25 PM, RWB said:

No one was trying to be "harsh." Members here will help in any way they can. They will also be honest with you, each in their own way. The comments are simply truthful based on the coin and your original statements. The damage is obvious on elementary comparison with other pocket change. You also made a judgement statement about the coin: "The coin itself is in good condition, no major dings," which indicates you had some sort of experience. The suggestion to "Revise your idea of good condition" is about as gentle as it comes without a long and possibly confusing conversation.

“I’m new at this” is NOT an excuse for literal blindness. There is no objective description of the original subject of this thread that includes any positivity. It’s not just the macro damage. The “normal” dings and wear ALL BY THEMSELVES preclude any positive description. A lack of experience cannot possibly explain this lack of vision. Both sides, all devices and legends, all loaded with dings and marks. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/22/2024 at 9:05 PM, VKurtB said:

“I’m new at this” is NOT an excuse for literal blindness. There is no objective description of the original subject of this thread that includes any positivity. It’s not just the macro damage. The “normal” dings and wear ALL BY THEMSELVES preclude any positive description. A lack of experience cannot possibly explain this lack of vision. Both sides, all devices and legends, all loaded with dings and marks. 

Granted, but then a member posts a photo of a Trade Dollar lavishly chop-marked [all the way to Gehenna and back] and the Newbie, quite understandably confused, asks, "What about this?" and in a manner of speaking is told, "Oh that? That's different... that's okay." Huh?

It may be some type of glue where an impression was made by a coin or other object considering it's raised outside the impression and some of the lettering in the affected area is still visible.  But I doubt an acetone soak would really do anything from the appearance.

And while the coin is pretty dinged up in general, I don't think there is any need to berate the op or be egotistical over their description or asking about this coin as they just may not have known about the overall condition having become accustomed to the appearance of normal scuffed up pocket change, it is very unusual looking, and this is the Newbie sub-forum.

That and considering "good" is not really a positive term in numismatics or grading, such as the attached quarter graded "Good" (G4) by NGC even though it is obviously not in great shape.  I never liked that term for one of the lowest coin grades.

1921 25C NGC G4.jpg

I suppose it all depends on the universe in which your numismatic travels (or travails) occur. If your world consists of coin roll hunting circulated change rolls, a severe waste of time and effort, and your idea of checking those coins consists of weighing each coin and shlepping each one onto a USB microscope’s stage and then you stare at a cheap screen looking for something “different”, yeah, you’re going to believe things to which a guy with 61 years experience cannot relate. But if your “search universe” STARTS AT MS63-MS65 pieces, a coin roll hunter will never be able to relate. 

There are many collecting styles, often with crossovers.  Simply because you wouldn't be caught dead roll hunting, even though you have stashed rolls of coins, doesn't invalidate that as a coin collecting style that could appeal to someone of any economic standing.  Stiff upper lip old boy. 

On 2/23/2024 at 1:02 PM, EagleRJO said:

There are many collecting styles, often with crossovers.  Simply because you wouldn't be caught dead roll hunting, even though you have stashed rolls of coins, doesn't invalidate that as a coin collecting style that could appeal to someone of any economic standing.  Stiff upper lip old boy. 

My rolls are all solid date BU rolls. It’s fundamentally different. I cannot see ANY point in searching circulated rolls. It wastes EVERYBODY’s time; perhaps least of all the hunter’s.

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/25/2024 at 2:11 PM, VKurtB said:

My rolls are all solid date BU rolls. It’s fundamentally different. I cannot see ANY point in searching circulated rolls. It wastes EVERYBODY’s time; perhaps least of all the hunter’s.

LoL... Kurts rolls are all new coins throughout many years of collecting. He probably has error coins that no one will ever know exist.(thumbsu  

On 2/25/2024 at 3:15 PM, J P M said:

LoL... Kurts rolls are all new coins throughout many years of collecting. He probably has error coins that no one will ever know exist.(thumbsu  

He just can not bring himself to search through the rolls as then he would become a "roll hunter"!  :baiting: :whistle:

On 2/25/2024 at 2:22 PM, EagleRJO said:

He just can not bring himself to search through the rolls as then he would become a "roll hunter"!  :baiting: :whistle:

No, I would become just another time waster.