• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planchet error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm just curious if this double planchet mark would add to the value this coin also has a filled D mint mark and the I and n in in god we trust is connected I have several coins with the planchet mark

20240218_234802.jpg

Notice the displaced metal around the edges of what you called a "double planchet mark". This is an indication that they are scrapes made after the coin was struck, likely from a roll wrapping machine as indicated.  The "I" and "N" and the mintmark have also been affected by the scrapes.

Those marks have nothing to do with the planchet. As stated, they are caused by the coin wrapping machine.    
You will find these on the end coin of most rolls. The filled D is caused by a broken post, this is common on D     
and P mint marks and adds no value.

Damage from a coin roll wrapping machine, and as for the mintmark, it could have either been a broken post on the die, or a partially grease filled mintmark when it was struck. Or The roll wrapping machine actually knocked some of the metal into the space inside the mintmark to fill it.

No matter what, though, you have a physically damaged quarter.

Coins with planchet errors, such as double strikes or clips, can be valuable. The value depends on the type and severity of the error. For example, dramatic planchet errors on certain coins can be worth $20 to $50 or more.

a small world cup

Edited by Hite2004

On 4/17/2024 at 2:29 AM, Hite2004 said:

Coins with planchet errors, such as double strikes or clips, can be valuable. The value depends on the type and severity of the error. For example, dramatic planchet errors on certain coins can be worth $20 to $50 or more

For the sake of accuracy: only certain types of double strikes are considered planchet errors. These would include, for example, a cent restruck by nickel dies, or a foreign coin restruck by US coin dies. Many of these, probably the majority, are created intentionally. Most other forms of double strikes or multiple strikes are considered to be striking errors.