• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Find of the Day at pawnshop
1 1

19 posts in this topic

EXCELLENT!!!!! Excellent find for just a buck! Even if it was previously cleaned (seems many of these 3 cent nickels were), still it has great details. And for a dollar!

Thats a woo hoo!!!!! :whee:  ^^(thumbsu

Makes me wonder why no one gold-plated it way back when and tried to pass it off as a three-dollar coin much the way the Liberty nickel 1883 NO CENTS was plated and passed off as a five-dollar coin.  Nice catch, Ronnie!

I drove back to the pawn shop this morning. It's partnership owned by four UNT student young ladies here in Denton Tx..  Although they've only been opened for three months, they're calling it quits and closing. They had hoped to make a profit in diamonds/jewelry, but soon realized one of them needed a gun dealer license to make it work. They decided that since they were so close to 4 colleges and H schools, that they didn't want anything to do with that part of the trade, and understandably so. I get it.

Nonetheless, she let me pour out the bucket on a bench and go through its contents. Found nothing of value, but the hunt was fun, a kid in a candy store. I always buy Something, found these 3 and gave her $5 and wished her well on her next capitalist journey.20240213_143319.thumb.jpg.50d88c2d14b98a4c838611d98a3c37fc.jpg20240213_143307.thumb.jpg.4705946d43e9009c0129b5e18b96cc40.jpg

Edited by RonnieR131
wording

The 1926 Sesquicentennial of American Independence Half Dollar is most often noted for its low relief design, which gives the coins somewhat of an unattractive appearance. This was one of two commemorative coins issued for the 150th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

The Sesquicentennial Half Dollars were authorized in a quantity of up to one million coins. In anticipation of widespread demand the entire amount was struck at the Philadelphia Mint. The coins were offered for sale at $1 each and ultimately only sold 141,120 pieces. The remaining amount was melted. Ironically, the initial unpopularity of the design which led to low sales, now makes this one of the more valuable commemorative coins due to the low resulting surviving mintage. Its the best of the bunch. It has some issues, but may be conservation worthy. Its AU but seems damaged or corroded in some way.

Edited by Mike Meenderink