• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 1830 1c Medium Letters?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure it is based on where all of the letters line up on the wreath. If it is the 1830 1c ML, should I submit it for grading because it is so rare? I got this in a lot of large cents and I don't think anyone ever really looked at it because of its condition and being holed.

1830 1c Med Obv.jpg

1830 1c Med Rev.jpg

WIN_20240214_17_00_05_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240214_17_00_11_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240214_17_00_22_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240214_17_00_27_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240214_17_00_31_Pro.jpg

On 2/14/2024 at 5:15 PM, J P M said:

This coin is toast. You want it graded?

No not really. I was more asking about if I should because it is a "rare" variety.

Edit: There are 61 graded between NGC & PCGS with a total population estimate of 400.

Edited by Epic Waffle

The 1830 "medium letters" cent is represented by one die pairing, designated Newcomb ("N")6.  The obverse die was also paired with a large letters reverse (N5). Dies for U.S. coins before 1837 were made from individual punches for the devices, letters, numbers, so they are attributed by comparing the positions of certain letters, numbers and/or stars in relationship to other design elements.

Unfortunately, the excessive wear and damage on the coin you posted make attribution very difficult, if not impossible. Most of the stars and letters are worn off, and the date is so worn that it isn't clear from the photo that the date is 1830.  What lettering that remains is so flattened that it isn't clear to me whether the coin has the "large" or "medium" lettering style.  Newcomb describes the diagnostics of the reverse as "tenth berry between AM; base of R above E; very small plain center dot" and "[f]ine crack through tops of ATES of A".  See photos at Coronet Head Cents (1816-1839) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  It appears that there is a dent in the area where the berry between A and M would be, any center dot has worn off, nor can I see the crack.  

Even if the coin were attributed as an N6, it would only be a "filler". A full "Good" lists $135 in Coin World; this one has Fair to About Good details and is holed, otherwise damaged, and "cleaned". I lack this "Red Book" variety myself but wouldn't pay much for this one in or out of a grading service holder.

One thing to remember, even IF that were to be a "rare" variety, in the condition it sits in, holed, severely worn, and severely damaged, even IF it were to be authenticated as such, its value would suffer drastic reduction in value for the very poor condition it is in. Typically a details coin will lose roughly 1/3 of its value (even in UNC). A coin this severely damaged would for sure lose over half its value and more realistically 2/3's or even more of its value. An 1830 Coronet Head in Poor 1 is listed in the price guide for $18.00. With the severe damage this has, even IF it were the N-6, it's value might only be twice that because of all the damage.

I am not sure in this condition, one would even be able to ascertain it to be any of a particular variety. Some of the reverse lettering is completely worn off. Looking for die markers on that surface I would think would be impossible. And remember, NGC graders will NOT attribute a variety unless it can be 100% certainly matched through detail positioning and die markers.

I have sold many details coins (in holders). Believe me, it is not easy to find a buyer in the first place, and then it is a tough pill to swallow when you see the realized price they sell for, but that is part of details coins. There is going to be a substantial decrease in value regardless of condition, and then the worse the condition, the greater the added loss on top of that.