• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 D Lincoln Wheat Penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Here is what I like to know is a blob of metal near the rim called CUD or Die Break?

I think if the metal is not near the rim than it is a die break.

If a line appears that is raised like a ridge of a mountain and not like a valley which most likely a scartch, than it is a die crack.

With that being said, I have this 1952 Wheatie that appear to have an error on the east side of the reverse going from the kernel to the edge of the rim with som blobs within the image of the stalk.

Thoughts?

PXL_20240207_160051201.jpg

PXL_20240207_160119884.jpg

PXL_20240207_160119884~2.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 11:17 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

Here is what I like to know is a blob of metal near the rim called CUD or Die Break?

A small blob, or solid raised area, like on your coin would be a "die chip".  You can read up on die chips, CUDs (broken die that includes an edge) and die cracks (solid raised jagged lines) at Error-Ref.com which is an excellent error reference site.

Die chips or small/thin die cracks generally don't add any value, except where it give a coin a very distinct and interesting look (e.g. "Spitting Eagle").

Btw, good job with the coin photos.  Clear cropped full pics with add'l close up as needed.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/7/2024 at 9:17 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

Hello everyone.

I think if the metal is not near the rim than it is a die break.

If a line appears that is raised like a ridge of a mountain and not like a valley which most likely a scartch, than it is a die crack.

With that being said, I have this 1952 Wheatie that appear to have an error on the east side of the reverse going from the kernel to the edge of the rim with som blobs within the image of the stalk.

Thoughts?

Neither, for your coin the correct term is a die crack as Greenstang noted.   A die crack is where the die has begun to break but is just a small line as it is on your coin.   If left alone and continued in use it could continue and result in a large piece of the die breaking off which could then then result in a CUD.

Thank you all. So now I need to know. Is it worth keeping coins with small die cracks and chips or should I be more on the look out for major die cracks/chips?

Among other errors. 

Being a newbie to coin collecting, I get excited when I find any bit of an error

Edited by CommunicatorDan
added note

Among other errors.

For the record, die chips and die cracks are not considered errors.   
If you want to know what true errors are, study the following site. 
error-ref.com

On 2/7/2024 at 3:52 PM, CommunicatorDan said:

So now I need to know. Is it worth keeping coins with small die cracks and chips or should I be more on the look out for major die cracks/chips?

Most of what you find won't be worth keeping, like this coin with the small die chip or blob on the upper part of the right wheat stalk, just above the kernel, and the slightly elongated die chip between the lower part of the right wheat stalk and the rim (or a small die crack?).

There are certain minor die cracks or chips collectors find interesting, like the cracks noted above or a slightly elongated die chip at "Liberty" on older cents called a "BIE Error".  But they don't add much value.

Typically you only come across coins with significant errors every once in a blue moon, if ever, like the quarter discussed here recently ...  https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/432665-2022-p-quarter-error-wilma-mankiller-im-not-sure/

Edited by EagleRJO