• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 P Quarter Error Wilma Mankiller? Im not sure.
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Great find, this is the third one that I have seen posted.
Definitly an error, as stated, retained cud with a bi-level die crack.
Where did you get it?

Almost forgot
Welcome to the forum and great closeup pictures.

Edited by Greenstang

That is one of the best examples of a shattered die that I have seen . Can’t wait to see the entire coin. Was this found from a new roll?

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

On 2/3/2024 at 2:12 AM, super dave b16 said:

Is this something worth sending in for grading . . .?

I assume that by this you mean, "Is it worth submitting to a third-party grading service?"  Grading is generally a skill a collector should himself acquire before considering submitting coins to third-party grading services.  In this case, the primary reason to consider so submitting the coin is for an error attribution, not a grade.  However, submitting this coin to NGC would involve a $19 grading fee (Modern tier) as well as an $18 error attribution fee, and if you are submitting just this one coin, the entire $10 per order processing fee and $28 return shipping fee, totaling $75, not including your own shipping costs. (I'm assuming that you already have a paid NGC membership.) Submission through an NGC member dealer might save you something, as well as submitting the coin to ANACS instead of NGC, but the cost would still be considerable.

Unless this damaged die error has an established market value well in excess of the cost of submission, it really isn't worth submitting.  If you want to keep it, I recommend placing it in a proper holder such as a hard plastic capsule or "Snap-Tite" or a mylar flip with your own attribution.  If you want to sell it, you might want to see what dealers who specialize in errors (such as Sullivan Numismatics) will pay for it and let them assume the cost of any desired third-party grading and attribution.

There was another one like this that sold on eBay for $305.00, there was another one with an asking price of $500.00 but he accepted best offer. Not sure what that was so it might be worth getting graded, that is up to you. Depends on whether you want to sell it or keep it.

Edited by Greenstang

On 2/3/2024 at 6:55 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Possible shattered die with retained cud, could you post pics of the entire coin obverse and reverse please.

Welcome to the Forum. 

Minor semantic issue.

"Shattered" means a die has broken into pieces and those pieces are no longer connected. This coin was struck from a "broken" or "cracked" die with retained cud. :)

In addition to the broken die elements and retained cud, I also see a retained die break in the J shaped piece on the cheek next to the mouth. Very nice multiple error coin! I am also curious as to where you obtained this specimen?

If I owned this coin I would definitely submit it and have it properly attributed.

On 2/3/2024 at 2:37 PM, RWB said:

"Shattered" means a die has broken into pieces and those pieces are no longer connected. This coin was struck from a "broken" or "cracked" die with retained cud. :)

Agree, after I clicked submit reply and took another look at the pics I didn't like what I wrote. 

I was looking at "RICA" and the rim by it, which look weak, a typical die crack will not effect the die enough to cause an effect like this and I was trying to think of an additional descriptor, or different one other than die crack, for this. Partially collapsed/sunken reverse die would have maybe been better.

EDIT TO ADD: I took a look over at error-ref and I think the die crack on this coin closely matches the description of a what they call a Bi-level die crack. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

That's a nice error coin with multiple significant errors which is unusual.  If you plan on selling it I think it would be worth submitting to give it more legitimacy.  And if you found that in a roll I would go back and try to grab more rolls to search through as it can't be the only one.

A lot of people like those quarters too because it has Wilma's nickname "Mankiller" on it, which I think is pretty cool too.  And I like that they beat the snot out of those dies.  Makes for some good error coins, which are getting scarse, and it makes me think the mint is getting its money's worth out of those dies.  ;)