• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"BIE" or "LIBIERTY" Lincoln Cents
1 1

11 posts in this topic

[It shames me to say I am so happy to find the occasional Wheatie, or for that matter, Buffalo Head  with a partial date, or Wartime nickel, that any further investigation stops there. Now that you've suggested collectors not submit them to graders, you've saved me and a whole lot of collectors a ton of money.  Thanks for the tip!]   :roflmao:

Years ago, I started to put together a BIE date/mm set as a fun side  project.  I was soon distracted and have no idea where they ended up.  Now that you brought up the topic, I think a BIE date set would be a cool, inexpensive, and fun project to work on.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have given up on it

On 10/3/2022 at 10:30 AM, Sandon said:

For some reason die chips that cause protrusions or blobs to appear on struck coins were unusually common on U.S. coins of most denominations struck during the 1950s and early 1960s. These chips often clogged letters and numerals and, as I recall, were the stated reason for the 1960 small date cent being replaced with the large date version.  A number of these chips also formed between the "B" and "E" of Lincoln cents, creating the impression of a letter "I".  These became known as "BIE" or "LIBIERTY" errors or varieties and were quite popular with collectors during the 1960s and 70s, though never of much value.   Frank G. Spadone's Major Variety & Oddity Guide (2d ed. 1963) (anyone remember this book?) listed "LIBIERTY"s/ "BIE"s for cents of 1952, 52-S, 53, 53-D, 53-S, 54-D, 54-S, 55-D, 55-S (with or without filled "9"), 56, 56-D (with or without repunched "D"), 57, 57-D, 58-D, 59, 60-D and 62.  Pieces dated 1956 and 1957 from both mints appear to be the most common with "BIE". Although most errors or varieties resulting from die wear aren't considered significant today, looking for them in change or inexpensive groups of coins was one of the really "fun" parts of coin collecting that many of us seem to have forgotten about.  Perhaps this fad can be revived, as the coins can be easily "cherrypicked".  (Please don't submit these to grading services, as I don't think they'll recognize these as errors or varieties, and the expense would diminish the "fun"!)

I found the following examples of "BIE"s in the wheat cents I've accumulated from circulation over the decades:

1. 1956 "BIE" with protrusion from "B" and " clogged bottom of "R"

7429541_1956BIEcent.thumb.jpg.30ad833c3e18499cbf5d78c11478aef7.jpg2143750992_1956BIEcentcloseup.jpg.26703b44ebd903b7da6ea9ddd6306f19.jpg

2. 1957 "BIE".  The coin is somewhat corroded, but the chip is quite prominent.  Another chip clogs the top of the "5".

2071645149_1957BIEcent.thumb.jpg.a8b2fb0f043ba430ae0e8f3091332160.jpg

895575197_1957BIEcentcloseup.jpg.3e2a9530fcd18f59c53133e6166c7c89.jpg

3.  1957-D with partial "BIE", clogged lower "B", and blob at bottom left of truncation of Lincoln's bust

1663953633_1957-DpartialBIEcent.thumb.jpg.536eff58c3c63672889f45a16e43465b.jpg

1663005938_1957-DpartialBIEcentcloseup.jpg.3e118d5b09c568f446baa3e8a95fb2dd.jpg

Feel free to post photos of any "BIE"s or similar pieces you have or your comments. 

I once found a box of uncirculated wheat cents and while coin roll hunting found about a roll of bie error coins heres an example of one 

20221018_013758_HDR.jpg

"Blobbing" in the loops of the 9, 6, and 0 in the 1960 Lincoln Cent caused the mint to widen the "pillars" that make those loops on the dies so that the pillars wouldn't break off and cause the blobs.

This is where we get the 1960 varieties "small date" (earlier strikes, fewer number of coins) and "large date" (later strikes, larger number of coins).

Thanks guys I felt that this could be that and even found a bie error in the same roll i was searching i have a bunch of them.  Posted on eBay once and didn't get a single bid so I took it down. 

Back in 1995 I was searching a bag of 1995 cents for the DDOs. Never found one but I started finding and saving BIEs. After finding several hundred, I just dumped them and they were cashed in at the bank. 

Spadone's book succeeded in getting a lot of kids involved, however. Those are now the same collectors who are dropping dead and whose collections - junk or treasure - now return to the hobby.

I definitely remember Spadone's book.  Have it still. I'm a lot closer to dropping dead now, too.  Hope not too soon.

Edited by Glynn K.

Collectors dropping dead is what keeps numismatics healthy.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:55 PM, VKurtB said:

Collectors dropping dead is what keeps numismatics healthy.

I don't know about numismatics, but the hobby bears no resemblance to what it was sixty years ago, before silver was withdrawn from circulation.

Poor analogy perhaps, but there are parallels:  About 90% of the world's oceans have been depleted of fish.  I don't know if it's always been that way, but fish caught commercially, like tuna, is weighed and sold at auction.  Much of this has been reliably reported by investigative reporters in papers of record.  Where is the point of no return? No one knows.

Coins, coin collecting and selling have become the province of investors. Encapsulation has accelerated the process.  Is there any difference between flipping real estate and flipping coins?  We are at a crossroads. Only time will tell whether their remains a middle ground anymore in collecting common coins for pleasure and treating high-end coins like paintings, classic cars and one-of-a-kind sports collectibles. Anyone in the field strictly for the short term -- long enough to make a killing and get out -- may be in for a big disappointment.  The saving grace for others will be the inexorable rise in precious metals prices.

What keeps numismatics healthy is not the life and death of collectors, but sustained demand amid shrinking supplies.  All good things must come to an end.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Deletion of one letter