• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harriet Tubman
1 1

6 posts in this topic

It is.my understanding that at one time Harriet Tubman's likeness was considered for the twenty-dollar bill relegating Andrew Jackson's to the archives.  Now the Mint is prepared to release her image on coinage.

I know who she was, I know what she did and why she is being honored.

My only question is, is it just me, or has anyone else felt the photograph used as a model is most unflattering. Or is this photograph, which I have seen repeatedly, the only one available?

If I am not mistaken, the proposal to change the $20 bill is still on the table and set to take place in the near future. I wonder if that will also mean a change to the other paper denominations is going to come with it since it seems that nothing is good enough anymore and everything from prayers to flags to money needs to be changed all the sudden.

As for the photo being used, I can only surmise that it is the most popular (well known) and that is why it is being used???

Yes the new generations will not know history if ( they ) can keep taking it away. There are not many that can read cursive anymore, what happens to that history like the stuff Roger picks up. 

they should not change or alter the portraits on the denominations of American currency  most of these kids these days couldn't even tell you who those people are  :( 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:56 PM, Henri Charriere said:

My only question is, is it just me, or has anyone else felt the photograph used as a model is most unflattering. Or is this photograph, which I have seen repeatedly, the only one available?

It looks like there are a number of images representing her just looking at wiki for the three different coins to be issued representing different periods in her life.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/harriet-tubman

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Tubman