• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Appeared upon a Google search
1 1

21 posts in this topic

No wonder why we get some of the topics posted here in the forum by people thinking they have some insanely valuable coin. This came up in my phone when I went to do a Google search. It is nonsense like this fueling some of this mass hysteria from non collectors who think they just got a multi million dollar coin in their pocket change which we know just isn't true. I am also scratching my head at where they got that figure that ANY Bicentennial quarter ever sold for any of those amounts.  ???

Screenshot_20240202-145935.png

On 2/4/2024 at 10:51 PM, powermad5000 said:

No wonder why we get some of the topics posted here in the forum by people thinking they have some insanely valuable coin. This came up in my phone when I went to do a Google search. It is nonsense like this fueling some of this mass hysteria from non collectors who think they just got a multi million dollar coin in their pocket change which we know just isn't true. I am also scratching my head at where they got that figure that ANY Bicentennial quarter ever sold for any of those amounts.  ???

Screenshot_20240202-145935.png

You're right.  I don't know what the FMV is on something like this, but unless there is on Or Best Offer (OBO) option I am not going over $37 million USD for the one pegged at $50 mil.  The fact that USD is included in the listing suggests it may be directed at an overseas audience that may not be familiar with the nearly 50 year-old design and, consequently, do not know better.  Who knows, maybe the Sultan of Brunei may find it interesting.

I happened upon this item that just came hot off the wire.  Since I am not fluent in numismsytique, I will leave it to you, gentle reader, and others to mull over.

Variety Attribution,  1976-D [Bicentennial] Doubled-Die Quarter.  Class 5 Pivoted Die Doubling,  FS 101.

The [PCGS] narrator explains in a short video that during that year the dies were hubbed at least twice.  Somewhere in between, the die in use "pivoted" by one degree (1°)  resulting in doubling of the letters above Washington's head as well as the date below.

A total of 54 thus far have been found, one of which sold for $8400 in May 2020.

I regret to inform all involved that I am all but constrained to withdraw my offer of $37 million.  🤣

To the OP:  Please feel free to BUMP this thread in keeping with local custom.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:17 PM, J P M said:

I think it is odd there is no listing for such a coin in Variety Vista, so it must be an unknown variety.  

There is a 1976-D 25C DDO FS-101 ... http://www.varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDO Detail Pages/1976DDDO001.htm

But nothing like the stupid numbers PM is referring to, or the typ click-bait YT vids for pocket change claimed to be worth thousands with ridiculous figures flashing and hundos raining down.

Maybe Kurt is right (gulp) that all YT coin vids should be eliminated.  :whistle:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/7/2024 at 5:45 PM, EagleRJO said:

There is a 1976-D 25C DDO FS-101 ... http://www.varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDO Detail Pages/1976DDDO001.htm

But nothing like the stupid numbers PM is referring to, or the typ click-bait YT for pocket change worth thousands with ridiculous figires flashing and hundos raining down.

Maybe Kurt is right (gulp) that all YT coin vids should be eliminated.  :whistle:

The internet is awash with information, but knowledge is in short supply.

"It came upon the Google search, that valuable pile of gold;

Hysteria looming far over head, from just another lie told."

e0nncav0.thumb.png.5979cd5c0269108c6e888151232d469b.png

On 2/7/2024 at 11:07 PM, Coinbuf said:

The internet is awash with information, but knowledge is in short supply.

This is why AI can be biased and a mess..and considerably dangerous if used without the right parameters. 

Especially in warfare when they run simulations it doesn't look so good..rantrant 

On 2/11/2024 at 9:46 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

This is why AI can be biased and a mess..and considerably dangerous if used without the right parameters. 

Especially in warfare when they run simulations it doesn't look so good..rantrant 

AI (not Allen Iverson, but still…) is a dangerous thing in combination with bad data. And bad data and YouTube coin videos are synonymous. 

On 2/12/2024 at 5:30 PM, Henri Charriere said:

[The Lighter Side of A.I...  I walked into the bedroom to find out with whom my wife was arguing on her cellphone.  She kept insisting, "I didn't say anything," or "I wasn't talking to you!" as she furiously tapped the inert screen out of frustration.  Turns out, it was "the Google lady" which [due to her disability] she continued to berate as though she were addressing a real, living person!  A Kodak moment, for sure]  🤣

I'm glad you could see the humor in that! It made me smile and a little sad. I'm sure your a great guy Henri. Atleast to your wife anyways <3

On 2/11/2024 at 7:36 PM, VKurtB said:

AI (not Allen Iverson, but still…) is a dangerous thing in combination with bad data. And bad data and YouTube coin videos are synonymous. 

Bad data and bias data..it wouldn't be so bad if people didn't follow just one narrative and be open to keep digging deeper on topics.

Rather than hearing or reading one thing and drawing a conclusion. Always the fastest results/conclusions.

On 2/4/2024 at 10:51 PM, powermad5000 said:

No wonder why we get some of the topics posted here in the forum by people thinking they have some insanely valuable coin. This came up in my phone when I went to do a Google search. It is nonsense like this fueling some of this mass hysteria from non collectors who think they just got a multi million dollar coin in their pocket change which we know just isn't true.

But Google and those quarters and other items have been around for years, decades even.  We've seen the flood ever since the end -- not beginning or heights -- of the pandemic.  Strange that we keep getting this tsunami of misinformed treasure hunters.

You would think they would at least be SUSPICIOUS that they can't possibly have a something worth 10,000x face value.  If someone told me my home was the planned site of a new AI-related campus and I could see it for 500% of the current market value, I'd be suspicious by a bit. xD

On 2/11/2024 at 8:36 PM, VKurtB said:

Again...YouTube and Google have been ubiquitous for decades.....why the surge in the last 2 years ?

On 2/14/2024 at 11:17 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Again...YouTube and Google have been ubiquitous for decades.....why the surge in the last 2 years ?

COVID-19, possibly.  Time was lost being out of formal classrooms. A survey disclosed pupils/students between the 3rd and 8th grades in NYC were NOT proficient in math and English.  This does not bode well for the youth who are our future.  Some highly-regarded members have been raising the alarm now for some time.  The hobby today reminds me more and more of all those commuters fixated on stock tickers at Grand Central before boarding their trains.  

On 2/14/2024 at 12:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

... pupils/students between the 3rd and 8th grades in NYC were NOT proficient in math and English

Not really something new, but likely made worse by Covid.  :eyeroll:

On 2/14/2024 at 11:59 AM, Henri Charriere said:

COVID-19, possibly.  Time was lost being out of formal classrooms. A survey disclosed pupils/students between the 3rd and 8th grades in NYC were NOT proficient in math and English.  This does not bode well for the youth who are our future.  Some highly-regarded members have been raising the alarm now for some time.  The hobby today reminds me more and more of all those commuters fixated on stock tickers at Grand Central before boarding their trains.  

How were they doing in street level “Ebonics” Spanish? Better, I’d guess.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:04 PM, VKurtB said:

How were they doing in street level “Ebonics” Spanish? Better, I’d guess.

The ones who deal in street drugs are remarkably proficient in basic 'rithmetic. They have to be.  They are accountable to those higher up the chain of command. But readin' and 'ritin'?   Fuhgettaboutit.  🤣

On 2/14/2024 at 10:15 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

But Google and those quarters and other items have been around for years, decades even.  We've seen the flood ever since the end -- not beginning or heights -- of the pandemic.  Strange that we keep getting this tsunami of misinformed treasure hunters.

The point of this thread, however, is that this just appeared in my phone (I will state that I have seen a few others of these before this in my laptop). So for someone only using their phone to get their information (I am sure there are some who are strictly phone people) is seeing the opening photo here for the first time, now all the sudden starts telling themself, "Hey, I got a few of those at home that I saved. I better take a look at em."  They go home and pull them out and all the sudden in their head now think they have one worth this astronomical value (as I stated in the opening, I have never seen any Bicentennial Quarter sell for those amounts), and all the sudden start looking up coin stuff and stumble across the NGC forum page and wallah! Here they are. With no numismatic knowledge. And maybe a screenshot in their phone of what is actually incorrect and misleading information, and post their circulated quarter here.

Maybe, just maybe one of them will stumble across this thread and take the time to read it and realize they don't have that. That what is coming up in their phone is not accurate information.

Will the wonders never cease?   Now circulating on the internet...

"Eight rare dimes and rare Bicentennial Quarter worth $82 million each are still in circulation."

The membership will forgive me for lacking the curiosity to investigate this further.  The website had a ridiculous name and, yes, I scrolled away.  🤣