• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking lot coin finds

18 posts in this topic

So here are a few recent parking lot finds in the last two weeks. The cent is in very surprisingly good shape with very few marks, but unfortunately has two spots of corrosion on the reverse under the cabin. Found it laying on my way into the door at the gas station. Thought it was a Shield cent considering how bright red and shiny it is. The other two are worth a million dollars a piece being they are unique errors xDxD:roflmao:

PXL_20240205_001555462.jpg

PXL_20240205_001833570.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

On 2/4/2024 at 10:57 PM, powermad5000 said:

I am no doubt sure you picked up on it, but that last part was an underhanded dig at some of the "error" coins that get posted here....xD

You read.me like a book.  Who knows, maybe there are some who'll go back and take a second look.  🤔 

On 2/5/2024 at 4:00 PM, cobymordet said:

That penny looks great for a parking lot find

It probably would have gotten an MS 66 RD grade except for the spots of corrosion on the reverse which would probably drag it down to 65 or maybe even 64. I really couldn't believe it was (A) - a 2009, and (B) - only had two tiny marks anywhere on it. I could only guess it was taken from a collection or stored roll somewhere and spent (I could picture some kid getting in trouble over taking it). Being it is in such great shape, I can't explain how it got corrosion spots to start on it since it seems it has been stored well since it was struck. Also, there is no way it was laying in the parking lot very long so I don't think that had anything to do with the corrosion.

Are you following the AAPLCC (American Association of Parking Lot Coin Collectors) standards for obtaining and classifying these parking lot coin finds?

A while ago I started a short set of parking lot coins I call "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" with 3 of each denomination including the best I could find, an average one, and the worst I could find.

So far I only have the cents and nickels done for this short set, where it's been slim pickings on others with just a few good dime and quarter finds. Tough times I guess, and walking around with change may be less common.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428801-parking-lot-coins/

ParkingLotSet01Pennys-GoodBadUgly 1.jpg

ParkingLotCoinSet02Nickels-RoadRashGoodBadUgly 1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/5/2024 at 10:24 PM, EagleRJO said:

Also, I think @Coinbuf has the honor of assembling the first P-Lot collection attached, and is a founding member of AAPLCC.  ;)

For sure the founding member, but I've been taking a break for these beauties to focus on more mundane coins.  ;)

On 2/6/2024 at 8:37 PM, powermad5000 said:

Is membership in the AAPLCC free? And it seems I have a head start on the dimes and quarters for my registry set. xD

Usually there is a test, but I'll wave that for you.  ;):bigsmile:

On 2/6/2024 at 9:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

Usually there is a test, but I'll wave that for you.

Awesome!!! I am working on finding some Top Pop PLC's (:xD

On 2/7/2024 at 9:16 AM, J P M said:

Will this coin qualify ...

I think it would if you just found it in a lot given the 2023 AAPLCC Collection and Attribution Standards, Third Edition under Section 2.0 "Qualifying Coins" states:

1. PLC must be found in a lot, driveway, lane, airport, structure or other surfaced area primarily used for parking of motor vehicles.
  2. PLC must be found and picked up by the collector at a qualifying location, or by someone with the collector at the time of discovery as long as said collector calls "dibs".
  3. PLC must as a minimum be reasonably identifiable as a known coin by shape and color.
  4. A legible date and mint mark is only required for Tier-1 PLC Resistry Sets.
  5. Placing a coin on the ground and repeatedly running over it with your monster truck does not qualify as a PLC discovery.

I think that one would be an excellent candidate for an "Ulgy" class of memorial cent.  Maybe a 2010 date from the shapes and spacing?

On 2/7/2024 at 10:00 AM, EagleRJO said:

I think it would if you just found it in a lot given the 2023 AAPLCC Collection and Attribution Standards, Third Edition under Section 2.0 "Qualifying Coins" states:

1. PLC must be found in a lot, driveway, lane, airport, structure or other surfaced area primarily used for parking of motor vehicles.
  2. PLC must be found and picked up by the collector at a qualifying location, or by someone with the collector at the time of discovery as long as said collector calls "dibs".
  3. PLC must as a minimum be reasonably identifiable as a known coin by shape and color.
  4. A legible date and mint mark is only required for Tier-1 PLC Resistry Sets.
  5. Placing a coin on the ground and repeatedly running over it with your monster truck does not qualify as a PLC discovery.

I think that one would be an excellent candidate for an "Ulgy" class of memorial cent.  Maybe a 2010 date from the shapes and spacing?

I would think that a 2010 cent would be “shielded” from being a Lincoln Memorial cent. 

On 2/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, VKurtB said:

I would think that a 2010 cent would be “shielded” from being a Lincoln Memorial cent. 

Very true.  Astute observation, as it then may likely be a 2000 cent.  In any event it wouldn't qualify for a Tier-1 PLC Registry Set due to the apparent "road rash" present.  (:

On 2/8/2024 at 3:03 PM, EagleRJO said:

Very true.  Astute observation, as it then may likely be a 2000 cent.  In any event it wouldn't qualify for a Tier-1 PLC Registry Set due to the apparent "road rash" present.  (:

Can't you see It's a Cheerio cent. Gee, I should have taken it away from the kid years ago. She has been chewing on it for far too long.