• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 P Jefferson Nickel
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Do you mean a 1943/2  Bill it does not look like one of those 43 over 2

The seller in the link is purporting to offer a 1943-P, 3 over 2 and claiming that this overdate variety is identified by a "hook on point of 3." I've never heard this before and believe it to be (putting it diplomatically) incorrect.  NGC identifies the diagnostic for the 1943, 3 over 2 as, "[r]emains of a 2 are seen inside the 3 of the date. Doubling is seen on LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST."  See Jefferson Five Cents (1938-Date) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Additionally, I understand that both the curved and horizontal parts of the "2" must be visible within the "3" to attribute it as a "3 over 2".  (The overdate has been confused with a die break that creates a horizontal line under the "2".  

As noted, the posted coin is a 1943-D, which is not known as an overdate or, to my knowledge, a "hooked 3" variety (not error).

I as well have never heard of a "hooked 3" nickel. I can only imagine the name is another gimmicky name for a non attributed variety that the seller is using to try to make a buck. Like the Lincoln snot nose, laser eye eagle Quarter, or any of these other self created names for varieties that don't officially exist.