• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting Question
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello again! I am going to submit the 1914-D quarter eagle I previously posted about for grading. This is my first time and I am wondering how to pick the tier. The instructions say the max value of the coin each tier allows, but the coin I’m submitting can range from $800-$80,000. So am I supposed to pick the tier as if the coin could grade at the max end of that spectrum? What is the benchmark I should use?

On 2/3/2024 at 11:18 AM, Sandon said:

Submit the coin in the "Gold" tier ($35 grading fee). It is extremely unlikely that the coin would achieve a grade that it would be worth more than the $3,000 maximum for that tier. Based on the photos in your previous topic, it will most likely receive a grade in the low mint state range, or possibly be "Details" graded as "cleaned" or "polished", with retail values in the $500 to $1300 range. If it were to receive a grade at which it would be valued significantly higher than the $3,000 maximum, NGC would charge you the difference for the appropriate tier.

It's unfortunate if you're submitting only this one coin, as you will also have to pay processing and return shipping fees totaling $38 that could have been spread over a larger order.  If you have other coins valued between $300 and $3,000 that you want to submit, you can spread these fees out over the order, using the "Standard" ($40) tier if some of them are non-gold. Another option would be to submit the coin through an NGC member dealer, who might be able to submit at a lower cost.

Thank you! That is what I was looking to know. They will just bump it up in the event it needs to be. I have a few other coins I could submit but they are in the 100-500 range. I also have an antique store owner I know who asked if I could submit a coin for him with my order. 

On 2/3/2024 at 11:18 AM, Sandon said:

Submit the coin in the "Gold" tier ($35 grading fee). It is extremely unlikely that the coin would achieve a grade that it would be worth more than the $3,000 maximum for that tier. Based on the photos in your previous topic, it will most likely receive a grade in the low mint state range, or possibly be "Details" graded as "cleaned" or "polished", with retail values in the $500 to $1300 range. If it were to receive a grade at which it would be valued significantly higher than the $3,000 maximum, NGC would charge you the difference for the appropriate tier.

It's unfortunate if you're submitting only this one coin, as you will also have to pay processing and return shipping fees totaling $38 that could have been spread over a larger order.  If you have other coins valued between $300 and $3,000 that you want to submit, you can spread these fees out over the order, using the "Standard" ($40) tier if some of them are non-gold. Another option would be to submit the coin through an NGC member dealer, who might be able to submit at a lower cost.

edit: Here are some pictures outside of the cardboard flips. They look a little different. Had to move the coin to the plastic flip per NGCs guide and took some pictures.

IMG_3023.jpeg

IMG_3018.jpeg

Edited by Epic Waffle

In the new photos, the coin definitely looks polished and likely removed from jewelry.  It may or may not be genuine.  I don't think that you have to worry about its value exceeding the tier maximum.

It might be worth your time to take this to a local coin shop and get a second opinion as to it being genuine before sending it in. Nothing is worse than getting a body bag back with your first submission.

On 2/26/2024 at 3:44 PM, Epic Waffle said:

Just got the results. https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6885723-001/NGCDetails/

AU Details. Removed from Jewelry. Thanks everyone for their input! You guys were spot on.

We try to do what we can to help members. At least you know it is real that alone was worth the grading.