• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does my NGC file photo say MS68 RD?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

My 1967 SMS 5C MS68  NGC 2577229-020  The NGC logo and description are different than the slab in my hand.  I'll attach photos.  The clearer picture is what I have in hand.  

1967 NGC photo.jpg

1967 5.jpg

Duly noted.  I sent an email to NGC.  The 2 database numbers are the same, but the logo is different in the photos.  

On 1/31/2024 at 8:21 PM, CIII said:

When is a nickel given an RD?

LoL  only after liquid lunch.

"RD" is used for copper, bronze and brass. That's why the label is a mistake, and probably why it was re-holdered. Presumably the top "photo" is of the original slab.

On 1/31/2024 at 8:26 PM, CIII said:

Thank you sirs.

Very nice coin, by the way.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:03 PM, CIII said:

My 1967 SMS 5C MS68  NGC 2577229-020  The NGC logo and description are different than the slab in my hand.  I'll attach photos.  The clearer picture is what I have in hand.  

1967 NGC photo.jpg

1967 5.jpg

If you keep the mistake of the RD on the nickel some people do look for error slabs just to let you know.

I have read of people actually looking for error slabs. Whether it's of actual value or not some people think so and will pay. It looks like you got it re-slabbed and fixed though.