• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944S 5 $ nickel.
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2024 at 12:18 PM, Greenstang said:

Quite the Die Crack. Almost runs rim to rim.

Yeah. I posted a NGC MS65  a week or two ago here that does go rim to rim. 

Just 5 of these graded at ANACs in MS-65 with this die crack. How many are graded at NGC in this grade? I can't seem to find that information out.

Edited by Errorists

On 1/30/2024 at 9:34 AM, Errorists said:

How many are graded at NGC in this grade?

NGC generally doesn't attribute coins with die cracks as either die varieties or mint errors. Die varieties that NGC will attribute are listed on VarietyPlus.  See Jefferson Five Cents (1938-Date) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). A coin where the crack had developed into a "cud" with part of the die broken out might be attributed as a mint error.

On earlier (mainly pre-1837) U.S. coins, the development and progression of die cracks are one of the factors used to classify different "die states" of specific die varieties.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:34 AM, Errorists said:

Just 5 of these graded at ANACs in MS-65 with this die crack. How many are graded at NGC in this grade? I can't seem to find that information out.

ANACS Has me wondering sometimes ? I see some things labeled that are just not right. Most recent would be a speared bison that the spear is missing. Maybe it fell out. 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:03 AM, Sandon said:

NGC generally doesn't attribute coins with die cracks as either die varieties or mint errors. Die varieties that NGC will attribute are listed on VarietyPlus.  See Jefferson Five Cents (1938-Date) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). A coin where the crack had developed into a "cud" with part of the die broken out might be attributed as a mint error.

On earlier (mainly pre-1837) U.S. coins, the development and progression of die cracks are one of the factors used to classify different "die states" of specific die varieties.

So 5 versus 225 in MS-65 for ANACS. NGC/PCGS should do the same so a consensus can be formed as to how many of these coins could be out there graded or even left in circulation. Seems this die crack is more rare then even the 5 step coin. 

Screenshot_20240130-115606_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Errorists

The grading service population reports can't really provide guidance as to how rare or common a coin like this is. Many coins as common as BU war nickels aren't submitted in the first place but are kept in albums like mine or other holders. Others are submitted multiple times and each submission recorded in the report. Very few circulated examples are submitted. Even at ANACS, the submitter must choose to pay an additional fee to have a variety attributed, so the plain "1944-S" listing could include a number of pieces with the "reverse die break".  A "reverse die break" isn't really a specific die variety at any rate, as a number of different dies could have developed similar die breaks.

On 1/30/2024 at 5:45 PM, Sandon said:

The grading service population reports can't really provide guidance as to how rare or common a coin like this is. Many coins as common as BU war nickels aren't submitted in the first place but are kept in albums like mine or other holders. Others are submitted multiple times and each submission recorded in the report. Very few circulated examples are submitted. Even at ANACS, the submitter must choose to pay an additional fee to have a variety attributed, so the plain "1944-S" listing could include a number of pieces with the "reverse die break".  A "reverse die break" isn't really a specific die variety at any rate, as a number of different dies could have developed similar die breaks.

Yeah. I have plenty of proof even on proof coinage that die cracks develop in identical locations. Numerous Spiked Heads for instance. However, many die cracks are listed as varieties in older coinage and modern coinage should be no different.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:08 AM, Errorists said:

Found a cool 5 dollar nickel.

Sorry to break the rhythm of rhyme, but what does the term "5 dollar nickel" mean?

On 1/30/2024 at 1:07 PM, Errorists said:

So 5 versus 225 in MS-65 for ANACS. NGC/PCGS should do the same so a consensus can be formed as to how many of these coins could be out there graded or even left in circulation. Seems this die crack is more rare then even the 5 step coin. 

Screenshot_20240130-115606_Chrome.jpg

I do not think,( although a nice looking coin with a rim to rim crack ). It will increase the value a lot. I have many nickels with cracks. I think it would depend on more factors than just the crack. 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:51 PM, cobymordet said:

Sorry to break the rhythm of rhyme, but what does the term "5 dollar nickel" mean?

So the crack through the S mint mark makes it a dollar symbol "$". It means the nickel has now become a dollar with the new dollar symbol and it negates the word cents below Monticello. However, the word five is still there and the coin becomes a 5 dollar nickel all because of a die crack. Who would of thunk it?