• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

200? D Jefferson Nickel Issue?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

This nickel may be PMD, maybe not. I am looking to the group to help shed some light.

What looks to be a worn out coin has few things goin on.

1. It is a modern coin 200? D

2. Weight 4.87g. I understand that nickels after 64' supposed to be 5.0g +- 0.19 for tolerance. So no metal seems to be lost

3. Raised edges obv/rev are non existant. When standing on edge the rim does not have any dips or narrowing as if grinded.

4. Appears that the plating is missing?

5. Image both obv/rev is not strong and clear.

6. All wording fades into the rim

Thank you.

Edge.jpg

Obverse 2.jpg

Obverse 3 NE Edge.jpg

Obverse.jpg

Reverse 3 Memorial.jpg

Reverse 4 S Edge.jpg

Reverse 5 SE Edge.jpg

Reverse.jpg

On 1/26/2024 at 8:53 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

Nickels aren't plated. They are composed of a homogeneous (same throughout) alloy of 75% copper, 25% nickel. Check your "Redbook".

Your coin is clearly a severely damaged one that was likely run over by motor vehicles, causing it to be crushed and scraped, and also corroded from exposure to the environment. 

It is extremely unusual to find any significant mint error in your change.  I recommend that you study the various types of mint errors and how they occur.  See the following resources:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

https://www.error-ref.com/ contains a comprehensive description of known types of mint errors, with photos. If you can't match a coin with one of these types, it almost certainly isn't a mint error.

If anything, I would say this was a dryer coin that got put back into circulation and suffered more abuse from the environment. 100% post mint damage. It has had a very rough life.

Edited by powermad5000

On 1/26/2024 at 8:53 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

What looks to be a worn out coin has few things goin on.

1. It is a modern coin 200? D

2. Weight 4.87g. I understand that nickels after 64' supposed to be 5.0g +- 0.19 for tolerance. So no metal seems to be lost

3. Raised edges obv/rev are non existant. When standing on edge the rim does not have any dips or narrowing as if grinded.

5. Image both obv/rev is not strong and clear.

6. All wording fades into the rim

Not to come off as being harsh, but if you think there are things "going on" with this coin which might be errors you may need to start over from scratch learning about how coins are made, and how they wear and can become damaged once in circulation, as well as what error coins are.  Maybe start with the links Sandon provided as well as the pinned topics at the top of this sub-forum.