• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 - 1992 proof set finds
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I posted on a previous post that I bought a bulk lot from eBay of proof sets to fast track my collecting and see what I got.  90% of the sets seem nice to me (new to collecting so can’t formally judge)  5% seem , haze and even one that has some green stuff growing on one of the coins.  Two sets though have coins with neat toning.  I’ll try to post some pics…. Sorry, it’s kinda hard to get pics of how cool they look and it will only let me add so many pics so you’re not going to see front and backs of each. 

IMG_7977.jpeg

IMG_7974.jpeg

IMG_7972.jpeg

Yes I bought a bunch of these1980 and 79//81 type 1 and 2 for five bucks a piece a few years back. Most of them are nice. There are a few fogged ones that I just bought anyway, maybe they will tone nicely LoL 

Edited by J P M

Instead of buying groups of sets from online sellers without an opportunity to inspect the sets in hand, you really should try to attend coin shows or at least go to dealers' shops where you can select the pieces or sets that are to your taste. You can also learn at those venues by looking at the pieces on display and speaking with the attending dealers and experienced collectors.

I think that it is a mistake to try to "fast track your collecting", which may result in your having a large number of pieces that are not of the best quality or that just aren't to your liking. Patience is important and will usually be rewarded. I've sometimes spent years trying to find an example of a coin that I liked at an acceptable price. Part of the enjoyment of collecting is what the late Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. (the first numismatist to own an example of every U.S. coin by date and mint) called "the thrill of the chase."  

The multicolored toning on the coins in your photos is actually considered enhancing by some collectors, and earlier proof coins with such toning sometimes sell for a premium. However, if you prefer brilliant pieces, as I do, you should avoid buying such toned pieces.

Some enjoy hunting, putting food on the table, the thrill of the outdoors.   Some go for the Boone and crocket once in a lifetime buck; and won’t fill their tag for anything less for fear they may see one later and have already filled their tag.  Similarities in all kinds of hobbies.  What makes the world go round.  My problem is I have too many hobbies, ask my wife!  :-) 

I love watching live music at small venues.  It amazing the guys that have a $200 guitar and are just so talented.  Then there are others that can buy an expensive guitar and can barely play.   Not sure where I’m going with this, just rambling…

Edited by Rob’s Coins
Guitar guys

On 1/25/2024 at 12:26 PM, Sandon said:

Instead of buying groups of sets from online sellers without an opportunity to inspect the sets in hand, you really should try to attend coin shows or at least go to dealers' shops where you can select the pieces or sets that are to your taste.

Totally agree with you santon.  Didn’t mean anything by my last post.  Just random thoughts.  I realize it was a complete gamble and could have been out $200+.   I agree that seeing examples is really what is needed.  Somewhat scared of the used car salesmen at shows and picked over tables but I’m sure it’s even worse online.  I probably got somewhat lucky.  Don’t recommend for anyone looking for a sound method, just wanted to share something that wasn’t a damaged coin.

Rob, technically you won't lose all yer money, you will about $38 worth of shiny coins to spend.  Just remember to look carefully at the 79/81 sets.  You might get a cheap treat of a Type 2 coin and yer 68/69/70 half dollar is silver.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:26 AM, Sandon said:

Instead of buying groups of sets from online sellers without an opportunity to inspect the sets in hand, you really should try to attend coin shows or at least go to dealers' shops where you can select the pieces or sets that are to your taste. 

Agreed, looking at coin shows in St. Louis Missouri. Haven't been to any yet..on a positive there are some big groups around apparently.

Approved dealers seem slim around here. I just hope if I venture to someone it's not a waste of my time.

I just want to say I like the toning on the nickel. I am not a fan of toning and prefer bright white coins in my collection when it comes to silver, but I do like how that one is toning.