• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another new nickel find.
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2024 at 2:01 PM, powermad5000 said:

What year and mintmark nickel is this found on @J P M?

Oh sorry , I was in a rush this morning and forgot to post it is a 2023 P

Thanks for the info and heads up @J P M. I will be on the lookout for one of these.

One more question, is this an attributed variety? I don't see it on the NGC Variety Plus and I haven't found it anywhere else. To me I would think it is significant enough as far as being able to be seen with the naked eye, and it appears there are numbers of them if you have found that many.

On 1/21/2024 at 3:21 PM, powermad5000 said:

Thanks for the info and heads up @J P M. I will be on the lookout for one of these.

One more question, is this an attributed variety? I don't see it on the NGC Variety Plus and I haven't found it anywhere else. To me I would think it is significant enough as far as being able to be seen with the naked eye, and it appears there are numbers of them if you have found that many.

I do not think it would be a big enough error for the big three. If I send it out to Brian at Variety Vista, I may get the recognition for the find. If they certify the coin ANACS may label it in a holder, they label almost anything nowadays However all that stuff cost money and when all is said and done, I don't think it will be worth more than the cost. 

Edited by J P M

Just out of curiosity I picked up ten rolls from another bank. I did not find any more of the die scratched coins. I returned those and went back to the first bank where I found them and picked up another fifteen samples of both obvers and reverse scratches. So now I have a full roll of sample coins. Not that it is a big collectable just neat that I happen to find it so I will just put them in the scrap box labeled as die scratched 2023. There must be a bunch more out there if I can find forty at one bank, I am sure others can also.   

S20240125_0003.jpg

S20240125_0002.jpg

Interesting that you are finding so many with that die scratch.  They must have cranked out quite a lot of them before realizing the scratch was there, or perhaps more likely the way things have been coming out of the mint these day they just didn't care or bother to check.  :eyeroll:

just waiting on the Youtube channel to pick up this million dollar nickel calling it the meteorite nickel or the shooting star!!!  hehehehehe  hahhahha  Good find JP

Edited by JT2
add