• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Coin Find
1 1

16 posts in this topic

fun is the purpose.  I rememember reading in Coins magazine, about 60 or so years ago, about numerous "errors" in 1957 D Lincoln cents.  One was the "filled lower B" in Liberty, another was the "BIE" in Liberty, where there was a die break or some such that made the I, and seems like there was another one.  I was about 13 but had the coin bug bad so I searched cent rolls.  Found bunches of those things.  Still have 'em.  I still collect just for fun.  Never have considered this an investment in anything other than pleasure.

@Glynn K.--The "BIE" or "LIBIERTY" cents and those with clogged letters or numerals were caused by die chips. Notwithstanding the fad of collecting them in the 1960s and '70s, they are regarded today as the result of quality control issues rather than as mint errors and will not be attributed as errors by grading services.  I agree that collecting these sorts of aberrations can still be fun and wrote a forum topic about them about a year and a half ago.

I never expected to make any money on them for sure.  Just fun stuff.  I think I have enough I can make a roll of circulated wheaties but just haven't done it.

But when you get right down to it, even errors that pass muster with the experts really are just quality control issues, aren't they?

On 1/20/2024 at 9:34 AM, J P M said:

I have been seeing this die chip again and again. It was very common on some previous years It starts out a lot of times as a die clash and ends up causing a chip in the die. Some You Tubers used to call it a beehive nickel. There is no extra value in this type of error just a fun find die chip.

S20240120_0003.jpg

S20240120_0001.jpg

I think a good title for this "error" would be "Sally Hemings climbing out the window to avoid Thomas's advances one night when he was hammered and seeking attention."

On 1/21/2024 at 4:17 PM, Sandon said:

@Glynn K.--The "BIE" or "LIBIERTY" cents and those with clogged letters or numerals were caused by die chips. Notwithstanding the fad of collecting them in the 1960s and '70s, they are regarded today as the result of quality control issues rather than as mint errors and will not be attributed as errors by grading services.  I agree that collecting these sorts of aberrations can still be fun and wrote a forum topic about them about a year and a half ago.

I found this one about two years ago.

S20240101_0002.jpg

S20240101_0004.jpg

On 1/20/2024 at 10:34 AM, J P M said:

I have been seeing this die chip again and again

Have you been finding them in different rolls, and do you have the progression as that would be interesting to see.

AH DANG JP you are going to make this a hobby instead of a search for millions!!!!  on errors... yes these are cool to find and keep i have a little assortment that are of little or no value other than face.  but they are still cool to have and  to show.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:01 AM, EagleRJO said:

Have you been finding them in different rolls, and do you have the progression as that would be interesting to see.

On the die scratches I have been finding them in different rolls. I have 29 so far and may have had more if I had seen it sooner. It looked like a simple scratch but then I said I have seen this scratch before and went back.  I do not have progressions on the new ones yet.  I do have a full roll on the older 2020 chip ones.

Edited by J P M

On 1/23/2024 at 7:47 AM, J P M said:

I do not have progressions on the new ones yet

I recall seeing the progression of the coins with the same die crack, if you are talking about the series of coin pics you previously posted, which was interesting.  If you happen to find coins with a progression going from the die clash to various stages of chipped dies I would find that interesting to take a look at.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:15 PM, EagleRJO said:

I recall seeing the progression of the coins with the same die crack, if you are talking about the series of coin pics you previously posted, which was interesting.  If you happen to find coins with a progression going from the die clash to various stages of chipped dies I would find that interesting to take a look at.

I opened up that roll of 2020 P to try to give you some die stages.

S20240123_0003.jpg

S20240123_0004.jpg

S20240123_0005.jpg

S20240123_0006.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 1/23/2024 at 2:35 PM, J P M said:

I opened up that roll to try to give you some die stages.

All different coins?  Possible clash from the "We" that started it, which is hard to envision?  And is that just a straight chip in the archway.

5C Chip.jpg

Die Clash - 1938 to 2003 Jefferson Nickel Clash Overlay.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/23/2024 at 2:49 PM, EagleRJO said:

All different coins?  Possible clash from the "We" that started it, which is hard to envision?  And is that just a straight chip in the archway.

5C Chip.jpg

Errors - 1938 to 2003 Jefferson Nickel Clash Overlay.jpg

Yes all different coins, you can see some have bag marks that do not match up.