• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 P mint quarter with condition opinion
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I just started going through some old change and got interested in all of the fascinating things you can find. I had never given change a second glance. I found this quarter with a die Crack on the back. It looks like the eagle is shooting a laser out of its eye. The front has a light ring around it as well. The eagle details are still amazing for being a 28 yo quarter found in circulation. I don't know, just looking for some opinions on the condition. Thank you

Zoom_1705686092421.png

Zoom_1705685552154.png

Zoom_1705686212428.png

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It is really impossible to give a fair assessment of the coin without having clear, cropped images of both sides of the coin.

From what you have provided, it does look like the die had a gouge to form the line you see next to the eagle. Such a condition would have to be attributed as a variety to command any premium and on modern coins, it might only get it a modest premium. There is no listed variety established for a 1996 P Washington Quarter listed in NGC Variety Plus.

If you provide us with full photos of both sides, then we may be able to determine if it should be posted to CONECA for further evaluation as a variety.

I do see many circulation nicks that would impact the final grade of this coin.

Edited by powermad5000

This is a type of quarter known as a Spitting Eagle. My esteemed friends seem not as versed in the coin world as I so I will explain these coins to you and them. The 1983 P Quarter Spitting Eagle FS 901 Variety exhibits a very similar die crack which often but not always transverses down to the wing. The die crack direction can vary for the 1983 Spitting Eagle FS 901 variety. Although the variety is most commonly found on the 1983 P Quarter it can also appear on any other year of quarter with that obverse reverse. Search: Spitting Eagle Quarter for more information. Both PCGS and NGC recognize this variety.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 1/19/2024 at 2:06 PM, Going for broke said:

It looks like the eagle is shooting a laser out of its eye

It does look a little like that, and maybe a curiosity find you might want to put aside. I'm so glad you didn't try and give the coin some type of cutesy nickname like some others. (:

I am well aware of the Spitting Eagle quarter as well as the Spitting Eagle Morgan VAM Mike. I just didn't want to try to attempt to attribute a coin that is not recognized by NGC and the OP's coin is not attributed by NGC as such. Despite my status as shown here on the forum, I am not a newbie that does not know these kinds of things. I have learned some things in my 45+ years of collecting.

Your Eagle Eye Laser is neeto, lol. . . darn naming convention, gets me all the time.  I did as Master Mike commanded and sought out the Eagle who spits and came upon this loogie of logic:

"...It's not a die crack, it's remnants from a clashed die, so it can occur on any eagle reverse. Even though it was hyped as something special, it's just a regular clashed die variety." - (Name and location withheld to protect the guilty party). 

Any truf to that? And if it isn't hawkin' a loogie, should we consider it a spitter?

From the site maddieclashes.com, this pic is of a typical Washington Quarter clash of which a remnant would have the eagle "dribbling spit" down not out. The OP's coin then would have either a die crack, or I am going to go with a gouge in the die, to make that line go straight out from the eagle. 

image.png.9149d8cae8e7f0e4e2b340b7ec6640a4.png

You sir are mad with the power.  Now the question remains. . . is the Spitting Eagle variety a clashed die or a cracked die.  Oh why won't the eagle stop spitting and die already?

On 1/20/2024 at 2:02 AM, powermad5000 said:

From the site maddieclashes.com, this pic is of a typical Washington Quarter clash of which a remnant would have the eagle "dribbling spit" down not out. The OP's coin then would have either a die crack, or I am going to go with a gouge in the die, to make that line go straight out from the eagle. 

Thanks for posting this shot, The OP did not post the whole coin. So as powermmad said it is a die gouge or a internal crack if it is a raised line. Not a spitting eagle which is from a die clash. 

On 1/20/2024 at 2:02 AM, powermad5000 said:

You are correct that the "Spitting Eagle" variety or die state is from a die clash which both NGC and PCG$ attributes for a 1983-P 25C with the clash mark from Washington's neck as FS-901 Spitting Eagle, with the chin also visible on some.

The clash mark starts below the eagle's beak near the tip and goes down at a slight angle to the top of the wing, and sometimes can also be visible on the wing.  See the attachede"Spitting Eagle" quarter example and NGC article linked below.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/3480/Spitting-eagle-1983-P-quarter/

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1983-p-25c-fs-901-spitting-eagle/520032

On 1/20/2024 at 2:12 AM, cobymordet said:

Now the question remains. . . is the Spitting Eagle variety a clashed die or a cracked die.

The FS-901 "Spitting Eagle" variety as identified by NGC and PCG$ is technically only from a clashed die on a 1983-P quarter.

There are some other Washington quarters with a die crack that also starts just below or at the eagle's beak tip, but they would not be attributed as a "Spitting Eagle" variety, contrary to claims from many Etsy/eBay scam artists.  The coins with those die cracks starting at the beak tip would be more correctly referred to as maybe a "Pseudo Spitting Eagle" if anything, and are just curiosity finds.

On 1/19/2024 at 9:08 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

This is a type of quarter known as a Spitting Eagle. My esteemed friends seem not as versed in the coin world as I so I will explain these coins to you and them. The 1983 P Quarter Spitting Eagle FS 901 Variety exhibits a very similar die crack which often but not always transverses down to the wing. The die crack direction can vary for the 1983 Spitting Eagle FS 901 variety. Although the variety is most commonly found on the 1983 P Quarter it can also appear on any other year of quarter with that obverse reverse. Search: Spitting Eagle Quarter for more information. Both PCGS and NGC recognize this variety.

I think your arrogance is only matched by your ineptitude, and you are the one not well versed who needs an explanation.  The FS-901 variety for a 1983-P quarter is from a die clash, not a die crack.  Read the above linked NGC article.

And critically, the op's coin looks nothing like the FS-901 "Spitting Eagle" die clash variety, or other "Pseudo Spitting Eagle" coins resulting from die cracks, which start just below or at the eagle's beak tip.

1983-P 25C FS-901 Spitting Eagle Variety.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I think saw a different date but same reverse as the OP for sale on eBay yesterday for $400.  Didn't look like anyone was jumping to buy it, though.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:08 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

You had been doing better at not posting misinformation recently, perhaps only because you have not been posting as much?  (shrug)   But this reply (as well as your acid theory on another thread) is a return to your old misinformation form, the op's coin is not and bears absolutely no resemblance to the spitting eagle FS-901 variety that was caused by a die clash. :screwy:   If you don't know you would be better off not replying than to stick your foot into your mouth like this.

On 1/20/2024 at 9:15 PM, Glynn K. said:

I think saw a different date but same reverse as the OP for sale on eBay yesterday for $400.  Didn't look like anyone was jumping to buy it, though.

There are several other threads on the forum here about eBay and asking prices. If you look you will probably find more that are absolutely ridiculous. Parking lot coins going for thousands. Just because a seller is asking a fortune does not mean he will get it. I just messaged another seller Friday about a Franklin Half that is price guide listed for $550, but there are others in buy it now listings for about the same price give or take a little, and his is listed for $2,200. He claims his prices are what the market value is and the price guides are meaningless. In my message I asked why he thinks that is the market value when there are others being sold for considerably less, and oooh, once again, I am hearing crickets. I wish eBay could reign in the listings with ridiculous prices for more common coins.

On 1/21/2024 at 3:48 PM, powermad5000 said:

There are several other threads on the forum here about eBay and asking prices. If you look you will probably find more that are absolutely ridiculous.

The really insidious one I see all the time on eBay is the 2010 Lincoln Presidential dollar coin listed for thousands.  They are worth ... drum roll ,,, $1.00.

Seems to be a popular one with these scam artists, preferably a little beat up to give the appearance of being old, as he is so well known and it has his term of 1861 - 1865 on the obverse, which they usually put in the listing title to give the appearance of being about 160 years old.  Seems to be targeted at older people which really burns my butt.

When I see stuff like that I can usually get them taken down pretty quickly with a short report that has an NGC guide linked.  For others that are not so blatant where it doesn't come down right away there is a topic in the members area where you can post details to have it taken down by NGC with their contacts at eBay, but I don't remember where that is off hand.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:02 PM, Coinbuf said:

But this reply (as well as your acid theory on another thread) is a return to your old misinformation form

Yea, in the other topic it was "molecular copper effervescence" to explain how a solid inner copper layer leached through a solid outer cladding layer.  More than the usual foot-in-mouth MM stuff that has become so common.  So bad someone asked if he had been drinking, at which point I lost my cookies laughing so hard. (:

2010-D-Abraham-Lincoln-Presidential-Dollar-BU.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/20/2024 at 1:09 AM, powermad5000 said:

I am well aware of the Spitting Eagle quarter as well as the Spitting Eagle Morgan VAM Mike. I just didn't want to try to attempt to attribute a coin that is not recognized by NGC and the OP's coin is not attributed by NGC as such. Despite my status as shown here on the forum, I am not a newbie that does not know these kinds of things. I have learned some things in my 45+ years of collecting.

I respect all the knowledge and opinions. Thank you.