• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas needed on misaligned coin in holder
1 1

13 posts in this topic

IMG_20240125_102438.thumb.jpg.63b615471dfac265cfb0843ac37cd59b.jpgJust wondering if anyone has any idea on how to rotate this coin in it's holder so it sits straight . Coin is kinda tight in there . The trick I use to rotate Morgan's in rattlers doesn't work .   Update . It worked . Tapping it over & over did the trick . Thanks community IMG_20240125_102438.thumb.jpg.63b615471dfac265cfb0843ac37cd59b.jpg

s-l960 (2).webp

Edited by Ohnoimbroke

Tap the edge of the holder rapidly and lightly (or hold it in contact with an electric toothbrush). The coin should rotate slightly until it's in a normal position.

Edited by RWB

When you tap the edge of the holder, look for the direction of rotation early on.  If it rotates in the wrong direction, then tap the opposite edge.

There's play in the holder and you've got to figure out how to take advantage of it.  (if it got this far out of whack, it can definitely be rotated back)

I had great success a year ago using the edge tapping method.  Granite center island in the kitchen, large bath-towel spread out on it, and a cutting board to work over to aid with making my taps have more smack to them.  The holder edge would sometimes hit the cutting board resulting in an unintended secondary carom that worked to my advantage, occasionally.  (sometimes the shark, he go away… sometimes he wouldn't go away)

Work over a towel covered area or you may find yourself picking the holder up off the floor.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:55 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Work over a towel covered area or you may find yourself picking the holder up off the floor.

For extra fun at home, put the towel over your head, turn off all the lights except a little one under your towel, and sit in an isolated corner tapping away.

Easy to solve the alignment issue. Tapping as above or just about anything that vibrates gently. Roger’s toothbrush works well. I use a demes tool. 

Light taps, electric toothbrush, put it on top of your phone on vibrate and keep calling your phone...anything that works. If it was able to rotate in that holder, it may take some effort, but it should rotate a full 360 degrees.

Is this an old "rattler" I keep reading about?  For argument's sake, let's say you get the coin exactly the way you'd like it, now what? 

There are only two people to whom this ought to concern.  Obsessive-compilsive types who.insist on having things, just so... and those preparing to sell who, rightfully, want to present their merchandise in the best possible light.

There is nothing wrong with following the advice of the gentleman above, but theirs is a temporary solution.  If you look at your collection regularly -- I assume this is not the only coin you own -- then you can expect to tinker with this holder for as long as you own your coin.

More permanent solutions, which may not be cost effective, is having your coin re-holdered at PCGS which will now come with Near Field Technology, with an embedded security chip or cross-grading it here at NGC.

I can offer one method that has worked for me. Load up your car with all your rotated coins and drive back and forth from Pennsylvania to Northern Alabama. The rotating is nearly guaranteed.

On 1/21/2024 at 4:18 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Is this an old "rattler" I keep reading about? 

No. It appears to be what PCGS refers to as a "Generation 2.2" holder from 1989 or possibly a "Generation 3.0" holder from 1990-93. The "rattler", designated Generations 1.0-1.2 (mostly 1.2) and used from 1986-89 is a different size from later PCGS holders. See https://www.pcgs.com/holdermuseum for photos and descriptions of the various PCGS holders. The "rattlers" are so called because the coins were sometimes slightly loose and would turn and "rattle" when the holder was shaken. It's possible that the OP's coin was inserted in the wrong position to begin with, and it may not be possible to reorient it while keeping the holder intact.