• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low value Buffalo nickels and wheat cents
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I recently sold some nice inherited coins at a state-wide coin show.  (I am a collector, but did not want these coins myself.) However, I held off selling a roll of Buffalo nickels with the dates worn off.  Also, I have about 6 rolls of common date and common condition wheat cents that supposedly dealers would buy for 2 cents each per the Whitman blue book.  Would dealers have interest in low value coins like these?  If so, what might they pay for the no-date Buffalo nickels?  Thanks.

As a dealer, I'd pay you about 1.1 cents per wheatie. I would assume they were fully picked over. For the no-date Buffs, I'd pay 6c each. There are people who enjoy Nic-a-lening those, though most of the people who do it lack the patience, precision, or intellect to do it correctly.

But before I did, I'd point out to you that interest was low, that marketability was low, that what I would pay was what they were worth wholesale to me, and that they were more than welcome to seek a better offer. And I'd be hoping they took that advice.

For no date Buffalo nickels, there has been a rare instance that a no date has been graded by identifying it using die markers for a particular variety. You would not want to give away a 1913 D or S Type 2 or a 1918/7 D even in such poor condition. You might also want to check the reverses for a 3 legger that maybe someone missed. Other than that, I would just look for a dealer that will take them and accept what they offer, because there are many dealers who will not even entertain the thought of buying them as they will have the same problem you have in trying to move them back out of their inventory.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:55 AM, JKK said:

There are people who enjoy Nic-a-lening those, though most of the people who do it lack the patience, precision, or intellect to do it correctly.

JKK, what is nic-a-lening, I am not familiar with that.

On 1/14/2024 at 1:51 AM, cobymordet said:

JKK, what is nic-a-lening, I am not familiar with that.

It's using a ferric chloride solution to restore the date. The apathetic and/or stupid method only sees the date briefly. The conscientious and sensible way leaves it fully revealed for the future.