• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheatie find !
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, Greenstang said:

Nice find but certainly not worth the cost of grading. Even in MS66 R condition they are worth about  $12-13.00
and yours is not near that. Put in a 2x2 and keep as a nice example

Thanks Greenstang this is the album coin it replaced.

IMG_8001.jpeg

Vast improvement in the album! Good find there @Mr.Bill347!

While it is a very nice coin, I see a couple spots on the lower reverse that I think would limit the grade of it at the grading table. I would say yours would return as MS 65 RD and is valued at about $11 currently in the price guide at that grade which in reality you would probably only sell it for $7-8. Nice, but not a candidate for grading imho.

Without even looking @Mr.Bill347, all I saw was eBay and all I am going to say is there are other discussions happening on the forum regarding this. There is one on the US, World and Ancient coin forum started by JustBob about this specific thing. Sellers are allowed to ask whatever they want to ask regardless of how ridiculous the price is. It does not mean they are actually going to make the sale for that price.

I just ran into this again on eBay late last night as I started looking at upgrading some of the SBA's in the set now that what I had has all been graded. There were two sellers for the 1980 S SBA that I specifically messaged as to why their basically junk coins were going for $400-700 (prices for MS 67). One messaged back stating that the PGCS price guide shows a much higher amount than the NGC price guide, and (this is where it went off the rails) he uses 100X mag to value his coins so he really didn't answer my question as to am I not seeing such heavy hits on the obverse and reverse that would severely limit the grade. If using 100X those should look like the Grand Canyon. The other seller did not respond as is usual for the typical scammers on there asking astronomical amounts for parking lot coins.

All I can say is it is obnoxious, rampant, and completely unmonitored and unchecked.

If you have time to blow, you can try this experiment. Choose ANY coin minted after 1965. The more modern the better. Take the first type, date and mintmark that pops in your head. Go to eBay and enter that in the search box. Next go on the left and go down to the price range you are seeking. Enter $200 in the first box and $2000 in the second box. Hit the arrow and let it update and get ready for the ride into the disgusting land of scammers with parking lot coins asking $500 or more claiming their coin is a colossal error.

And if you keep a bucket handy for you to barf in, go to the search bar at the top and enter two simple words in it. error coin.

Once those pages come up, you will find HUNDREDS of parking lot coins, dryer coins, strike doubled, corroded and physically damaged coins with claims of MAJOR ERROR, RARE ERROR COIN, UNIQUE ERROR, etc. and there will be ones asking $2000 or more for vise jobs, corroded coins claiming them to be missing clad layer, and the like. It is sickening.

I agree ! I know it was discussed many times but todays example just struck a nerve because I was so proud of the ms 1941 P I got this week. I see it all the time including all the 19.99 silver eagles and Morgan cc’s the scammers are hawking. Just turns my stomach.

On 12/19/2023 at 12:38 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

This may be the best example that I have seen in hand, raw. A 1941 P Red.

i think this might be a candidate for grading. Whatyall think?

Nice 1941 (P) 1C album coin Bill.  I agree it's not worth getting graded.

On 12/20/2023 at 3:19 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

What am I missing? How can these sellers get away with this? My cent was wayyyy better than these!

Because it's eBay Bill with countless scam artists!  Those are ridiculous asking prices that only a total sucker would buy for anything near that.  How about the following from eBay which is a normal circulated 2010 Lincoln Presidential dollar coin worth ... drum roll, $1.00 ... listed for $2,500 ... WOW!  I usually see these with the date listed as 1861-1865 which were the years Lincoln was president as noted on the obverse to give the appearance of being that old.  Reported when I see these as usual!

eBay Listing: Presidential Dollar Coin 16th President Abraham Lincoln 2010 P Position B @ $2,499.99

Edited by EagleRJO

Hi Bill,

Late to the party as usual.  Your Topic is entitled, "Wheatie find !"  Was this coin something you actually "found" or inadvertently came across while engaged in buying, whatever the venue?

On 12/20/2023 at 7:37 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Hi Bill,

Late to the party as usual.  Your Topic is entitled, "Wheatie find !"  Was this coin something you actually "found" or inadvertently came across while engaged in buying, whatever the venue?

I actually got this by roll hunting a wheat cent roll, I purchased for $17.

On 12/20/2023 at 2:47 PM, VKurtB said:

They’re crooks. And eBay is aiding and abetting theft by fraud. 

I don't think they are crooks I don't think they are stealing because none of those coins are sold. False advertising for sure.  I like  2005 buffalo nickel for $1000. You always notice none of them ever have any feedback. Nobody can be that stupid. Can they? 

On 12/23/2023 at 9:12 PM, edhalbrook said:

I don't think they are crooks I don't think they are stealing because none of those coins are sold. False advertising for sure.  I like  2005 buffalo nickel for $1000. You always notice none of them ever have any feedback. Nobody can be that stupid. Can they? 

It is hard for people to admit they were fooled when it comes to a big loss of money. I have even paid more than five cents for a nickel myself a few times. ;)

On 12/24/2023 at 4:16 AM, J P M said:

It is hard for people to admit they were fooled when it comes to a big loss of money. I have even paid more than five cents for a nickel myself a few times. ;)

LOL Yeah I paid $20 or so for a few nickels. Having trouble finding a 1942 D and 1983 P & D for decent prices. Though the w nickel set put me back $50. How much it's going to cost me finish my penny collection worries me a bit. VDB's. 14d, 09s, 31s

On 12/23/2023 at 9:12 PM, edhalbrook said:

I don't think they are crooks ... Nobody can be that stupid. Can they? 

Only a crook would list something worth a few bucks at most for thousands.  And people get taken all the time with scam listings, even if not to that extent.

People are waaaaaaaay dumber than you can imagine. Some of them, get this, actually believe damaged coins are mint errors. Shhh. Pass it on quietly. 

On 12/27/2023 at 7:02 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

People are genuinely "dumb" enough. These are SOLD items!HaHaHaHa.thumb.jpg.8e4e25095de0c95ab92ea5193fc7d8aa.jpg

That really makes me think that it was a shill purchase. Hell compared to any one of you guys I am a total beginner. I think long and hard if I'm going to spend $40 on a coin. Mainly because I do not have the experience enough or the money enough to spend wisely. Nobody that knows what they are doing and nobody that don't know what they are doing would do that. I just can't believe it. 

On 12/30/2023 at 6:32 PM, edhalbrook said:

I am contemplating on getting the Botanic set for $150 or so. But thinking long and hard. 

Is there a rush? Haste makes waste. I bought my first one from the Mint at issue, and snagged a second one at well below market price at an auction.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/30/2023 at 7:32 PM, edhalbrook said:

I am contemplating on getting the Botanic set for $150 or so. But thinking long and hard. 

I would be happy to find just a 1997 SP nickel at a price below $100 not an easy task. 

On 12/30/2023 at 7:26 PM, J P M said:

I would be happy to find just a 1997 SP nickel at a price below $100 not an easy task. 

Troo dat. In fact, you can PROBABLY find the set for less than a slabbed nickel. Does it make sense? Of course not. I gave up on stuff in this hobby making sense over 25 years ago. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/30/2023 at 4:44 PM, VKurtB said:

Is there a rush? Haste makes waste. I bought my first one from the Mint at issue, and snagged a second one at well below market price at an auction.

No hurry. I bid on one but only went to about $70.It sold for about $125. They are starting to post them for about $200 now. I'll just wait. Started working on my half dollar book 1964 - 2012 w proofs and a quarter book 32 - 98 with proofs. Shop around and you can get lots of the uncirculated and proofs sets pretty cheap. $5 to $7 and upgrade my penny collection as well. Still looking for a 42d nickel at a fair price. As well as the 2009's in bu shape. Got the satin ones but not the business strikes.