• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 D Lincoln Penny Issue?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I as well have seen this defect on many D cents, especially those struck in the 90's. I have seen it in differing positions as well. Sometimes east, south, or slightly west of the D. My only guess as to why this is would be that it seems the Denver Mint had better strikes on their coins throughout the years, and something in the strikes (possibly slightly more pressure?) causes the plating near the mintmark to bubble up. Occasionally you will also see this kind of plating "ghosting" of the date numerals as well.

It is more of a quality control issue (as well as several other issues with the plating on these copper plated zinc cents) and adds no premium to the cent.

On 12/18/2023 at 6:31 PM, RWB said:

RE: "1993 D Lincoln Penny Issue?"

Yes, they were issued. Yours is one of them. It's worth 1-cent.

But it soon may become a little pile of corrosion.

On 12/19/2023 at 6:55 PM, VKurtB said:

But it soon may become a little pile of corrosion.

I think in the years to come the only thing rare will be coins that have not rotted away. Once the surface has been compromised it is ashes to ashes and dust to dust.