• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning your coins (NO)
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, hope all is good. Ok I'm a part of several coin and money groups on social media. But before that I know it is totally wrong for you to clean your coins. Ok this question gets brought up at least 20 xs a week, " how do I clean my coins" and then you get to read all the good, crazy, WTF answer's. Any stories or advice that you can share and then i can use? Alot of people think it's just a scam from grading company's to make you use there service. Once again thank you so much. And remember smiling is contagious, so don't forget to SMILE...:grin:

You should not clean coins. Unless.....you have the proper knowledge and experience to do so without harming the original surfaces of the coin. Cleaning a coin improperly can reduce its market value by various percentages based on the coin in question. Conservation of a coin or "cleaning" done by a professional or other expert with the proper knowledge and practices would still give the coin a chance to be graded if no other issues are present on the coin after conservation. It is when coins have been improperly cleaned which leaves marks or residues among other telltale signs of amateur cleaning attempts that the coin is now impaired and devalued amongst serious collectors.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:00 PM, Marc Bateman said:

Alot of people think it's just a scam from grading company's to make you use there service.

“You know, m-o-r-o-n-s.”

IMG_2072.jpeg.3f7b426abeee51c73ef3294a95e56f80.jpeg

The simple answer to this is DO NOT CLEAN COINS! Period.

Other than a rinse with warm water and a light squeeze (not rub) with a microfiber cloth to remove the water droplets will mostly end up as damage to the original surface of the coin. There are some who are knowledgeable that use acetone, but once again without knowing how to properly perform such a procedure will once again result in damage to the surface of the coin.

Once the surface is damaged through improper, amateur, and incorrect methods to attempt to alter the surface of a coin to make its appearance better, the damage CANNOT be reversed and that coin will have permanent damage to the surface significantly lowering its collectability, especially to serious or high end collectors, and even those collectors who seek coins with original surfaces. Cleaned coins will lose half to sometimes two thirds of their value.

Should a coin need "help" due to a surface issue (such as PVC contamination), a professional company named NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services) can perform such a service safely without damaging the original surface of the coin which is known as conservation and is used to eliminate some surface issues and stabilize the surface of the coin to help prevent further damage. Their methods are proprietary and are unknown outside of the company. Even this service will not conserve all coins, and conservation cannot reverse past cleanings or past damage. For example, once a coin has developed corrosion, it can be stabilized but it cannot be reversed.

For a final note on this subject, there is NO YouTube video that demonstrates the way to clean a coin. Any video of any process on social media purporting how to clean a coin is only showing a video on the quickest way to permanently damage a coin.

If you have a gold coin that is currently graded & slabbed by NGC and you send it to NCS for conservation, they deem the coin worthy of their conservation methods, is there any chance that the coin might come back with a lower grade than it had before?

On 12/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

f you have a gold coin that is currently graded & slabbed by NGC and you send it to NCS for conservation, they deem the coin worthy of their conservation methods, is there any chance that the coin might come back with a lower grade than it had before?

Yes. Absolutely yes.

I recently submitted a slabbed Morgan dollar with black toning that almost looks like overspray from a can of black spray paint (it is not paint, just the color and way it is toning). I was charged the $5 inspection fee and the slab was returned with the explanation from NCS that they did not perform conservation because if they did, that the coin's grade would be significantly impacted. Basically that means the toning is either covering some surface issue, or the act of removing the toning will cause issues with the surface. Either way, that is how it was presented to me that conservation would negatively impact the grade.

I had forgotten that one of my gold coins had a tiny "issue."

An Apple Notes Note for my coins shows:  1876 CC abrasion on reverse below stars, and tiny black ring circle

When I looked into possibly having it addressed just now, the fees involved would be on the order of $750.

I'll live with it "As Is."

Just to show you how ridiculous it would be to spend $750 and risk a successful regrade after conservation, here is the problem issue:

image.thumb.jpeg.a8f6fe7aa44636784953313e1ca8d195.jpeg

At the base of the T in UNITED is a tiny, hollow, circular "something" that is black in color.

The grade on this 1876-CC Double Eagle is MS 60, and I think it squeaked under the grading radar of Details - Cleaning.

So, sending it in for conservation would be pushing my luck, since it would get another grading "going over."

Edited by USAuPzlBxBob
missing quotation marks, and a the the