• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information on this nickle
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Chat Board.

That is not a Doubled Die, looks more like Die Deterioration Doubling, another of the worthless doubling.  
It also looks like that may be a small Die Crack but not enough to add any value.  
In the future, please do not use screen shots, they are too pixilated to see small details.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Being this is a 2023 nickel, I would say there would be very little available information on any kind of known varieties as of yet.

I did find this when checking on doubledie.com and eventually got to this at the following link leading to Brian's Variety Coins. Brian's Variety Coins - 2023P WDDO-002+WDDR-046 Coin#1 "BEST OF" Strong Class VIII doubling shows on the date, "P" mint mark and IN GOD WE TRUST, and on the reverse very nice doubling shows above the top step on the center steps and on the letterers "NTICE" of MONTICELLO. You will receive the coin shown in the photos. BU. (briansvarietycoins.com)

Being yours is of the D mintmark, it does not fall under the above category. I do see some secondary "ghost" images in the date with something more pronounced at the 3 but cannot explain that in the form of doubled dies. The first 2 seems to have the ghost image under the 2, while the 3 seems to have the ghost image to the right. this would not make any sense as even a loose die creating a "secondary image" would produce all the images either left/right or in the form of clockwise rotation (in other words, if the lead 2 had the ghost image below it, the 3 would have the ghost image above it, not to the right of it). There seems to be a die crack on the obverse but that would be an issue of quality control at the mint and it would not add any premium to the coin.

There seems to be some form of doubling on the reverse, but that looks more like die erosion/die deterioration doubling to me which would be produced by a reverse die that has been in service for too long and is wearing out past the point of which it should have been replaced. 

I will state, though, that my response is merely my humble opinion, and when it comes to Jefferson nickels, certain varieties have been recognized that are difficult to see and detect and have been attributed. Perhaps others on here can provide more information. I would say it may be worth having CONECA take a look at it to make sure.

Hello Kim, the photos are not very clear there could be a die crack in that rim. It would be a neat find but would not add any monetary value to the coin. If you could get some better shots and reorient the coin so it is upright, it would help. Thanks, 

On 12/13/2023 at 3:53 PM, powermad5000 said:

I would say it may be worth having CONECA take a look at it to make sure.

I think it's great you are trying to be helpful but I think you may be over analyzing die deterioration doubling (DDD) with the associated appearance of ghosting, and where deterioration does not necessary occur in a  linear manner the way hub doubling does.

See the attached example of DDD from Error-Ref.com, which looks very similar to how some numbers in the date appear on the op's coin.  And in this case I think the op needs to simply pick up the coin and look at it with some magnification to verify that it's also DDD on the reverse instead of submitting the coin to CONECA.

DDD.jpg

On 12/14/2023 at 12:07 AM, EagleRJO said:

I think it's great you are trying to be helpful but I think you may be over analyzing die deterioration doubling (DDD) with the associated appearance of ghosting, and where deterioration does not necessary occur in a  linear manner the way hub doubling does.

I only mentioned what I did because when it comes to modern nickels, there are some less accepted but attributed varieties (typically found on Wexlers) that I have looked at and absolutely have not been able to figure out how they even saw anything on the coin to come to those determinations. I only mentioned CONECA because I think if the OP chose to decide to submit the coin despite what responses were posted here (duly noting that the OP did not make any mention of submission), that sending it to them would be a much less expensive endeavor. I do keep in mind @EagleRJO that there have been many OP's who have basically submitted their coins to a TPG despite anything said in the forums.

On 12/14/2023 at 1:25 AM, powermad5000 said:

when it comes to modern nickels, there are some less accepted but attributed varieties

It's not just nickels, it seems like ever since the change by the mint to single squeeze hubing that there is only very minute doubling left to attribute.  And about the op's coin it just seemed like a cut and dry case of DDD at the date.

On 12/14/2023 at 12:34 AM, EagleRJO said:

And about the op's coin it just seemed like a cut and dry case of DDD at the date.

Then my apologies to the OP for my optimism on the possibility, and may the OP skip my response for its inaccurate guidance.