• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I really don't care about forum labels, points, titles, medals etc. but I have been meaning to ask this and I am a little bored tonight so I will throw it out there.  Why does my forum banner (attached) say both "Newbie" and "Seasoned Veteran" which is an oxymoron and just has to confuse people, including me?

I noticed the same thing with members like @Sandon who I think is probably one of the most experienced members on this forum and often provided spot on detailed explanations or evaluations, so something is off.  Also, I posted it here instead of in the "Ask NGC/NCS" Sub-Forum because I am really just having some fun with this and don't really care that much about it.  In addition, how do I get the  "Seasoned Veteran" changed to "Newbie" just for consistency and so I don't have to worry about people taking me seriously or putting any reliance on my posts. :insane: (:

Word Blank Doc.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I have noticed the same thing on mine @EagleRJO and I have no explanation for it. I've tried to look in my profile to see if there was something in there that I needed to "accept" or something, but I, as you, am not concerned with the labeling on my profile. I thought maybe it was the total number of posts but that seems to not be a factor either.

It does bug me though that @Sandon still has a Newbie symbol with his level of overall knowledge which far surpasses mine.

Maybe someone on here with a different symbol can tell us how they were awarded it.

On 12/11/2023 at 12:59 AM, powermad5000 said:

I have noticed the same thing on mine @EagleRJO and I have no explanation for it. I've tried to look in my profile to see if there was something in there that I needed to "accept" or something, but I, as you, am not concerned with the labeling on my profile. I thought maybe it was the total number of posts but that seems to not be a factor either.

It does bug me though that @Sandon still has a Newbie symbol with his level of overall knowledge which far surpasses mine.

Maybe someone on here with a different symbol can tell us how they were awarded it.

No one knows why, some new marketing upgrade last year changed all the member titles, and no one can answer Y.

I’m a Rising Star but don’t know how they came to that conclusion. Maybe they just drew names out of a hat.   
I’m pretty sure that the Seasoned Veteran name comes about when you hit a 1000 posts.

Edited by Greenstang

When NGC added these ranks and icons last May, I posted a topic on the Ask NGC/NCS forum inquiring about how these rankings were determined and how a member would progress from one rank to the next. The Administrator's response was essentially that they would get back to me, which hasn't occurred. New Chat Board Rankings and Icons - Ask NGC/NCS - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards. I'm going to post a reminder on that topic and suggest that other interested members do the same. 

I think that NGC should either have a system by which these rankings should change over time or eliminate them altogether.